ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Ministry > Sharing in Ministry

Old 11-20-09, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Default Does your church have a food ministry or clothes ministry?

Why or why not? How about an outreach to people in jail or prison and their families?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 11-20-09, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

Old 11-20-09, 04:59 PM

We have outreach for kids in conjunction with other churches in our community but I will admit, other than financial, I have not personally participated in the hands-on stuff. One of our deacons is a leader there.

The clothes closet is a big hit each year although the state regulations here caused issues due to lawsuits, we still do it. Food closet is almost nonstop in our little congregation.

For whatever reason, the school sends everyone to us that has a need that their "programs" don't fulfill, we finally had to ask them to share the burden a bit as we are running in the red and may not be able to keep our church open five years from now. Last episode we split the costs of a physical and graduation outfit for a senior between my wife and another person. That kid truly deserved help. Wife was teaching parolees to obtain GED, took a break for a year due to job change.

We also support a number of other outreach venues such as missionaries and food banks via secret giving at designated Sunday services.

Lots of stuff going on, hope I did not go against scripture by mentioning these things.

Saddest part of all this is that the government takes, through taxes, much of what could be going to our churches through donations, and redistributes in a fashion that has created a mess with families. So there is a fine line to walk when determining how and where help is truly needed.
Old 11-20-09, 08:16 PM
Administrator

I am very glad you mentioned the specifics. I am trying not to comment on school related situations as I find it absurd that since McKinney Vento help for homeless students got eaten by No Child Left Behind the basic things kids need to survive never mind do well at school are unfunded. That is not a gift of the current administration but even worse now maybe due to economy. grrr

Last edited by Ann; 11-21-09 at 10:12 AM. Reason: correcting typo in word got
Old 11-29-09, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Bayrat and others whose churches do food help - do you get food for it from food bank affiliated with Feeding America (www.feedingamerica.org) that used to be called Second Harvest? Do people in the church bring in food for it? Do you do food collections at grocery stores ? What other ways? How involved are the people of the church in general in helping? Do you share the gospel as you give food or let the act of meting need show Jesus on its own? Besides the obvious of getting something to eat how would you say getting the food helps people? How do you decide who is eligible to get food? We've done food help a long time but I figure we can always learn more from others.

Old 11-29-09, 06:50 PM

We collect the food from the congregation all year long and from there it goes to the Catholic church. They have an organization in place to determine need and distribute it.

As far as the other organizations you mentioned Ann, I have heard of them but never had dealings with them. We do however sponsor members for things such as the crop walk.

Our congregation helps as best they can but like so many others, they are getting on in years making it more difficult for them. I was sitting on the pew this morning thinking how wonderful it would be if they were all filled.
Old 12-03-09, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Our church has a ministry to needy kids in a nearby elementary school. We fill up backpacks with food for the weekends, and over the summer and long holiday breaks.