ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Ministry > Sharing in Ministry

Old 03-21-11, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone been involved with a community garden?

We have talked or 2-3 yrs about Caring Hands Ministries having a community garden but nothing much ever came of it. 1st yr the little bit that was done got wiped out by the drought and a total outdoor watering ban that even extended to private wells and to be blunt inability or unwillingness of participants to haul bathwater etc to the garden. It is one thing to toss it out in your own back yard and another thing to take it several miles. Last yr a little was done but the people who would have been involved in leadership were doing other things. God must have decided this yr is garden yr. We've had use of 7 acres plus equipment donated, plus seed and plant donations, manure and volunteers and folks who know organic gardening to help work and teach so we can help people do gardens at home as well as at the garden. there are a few streams and a lake so an irrigation set up is being built and to keep it green there will be a hand pump tho there may be a back up electric one. Our goal is to help people have food and learn to produce their own but more than that to share Jesus' love. Hope is that the garden will give away 75-80% of what is grown and sell 20-25% (especially watermelons) to make it self sufficient after this year.

I have some questions for anyone who has ever done this
How did you let people know the veggies are available?
Did they usually come and get them or did you deliver (to shut ins for ex) ?
Did you do any special nutrition or gardening or ecology education?
What ways did you use to help people know that this was done because Jesus loves them?
How did you handle situations w/ volunteers who didn't yet know Jesus or show Him in their actions?
Your advice and prayers please. Thanks.
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 03-28-11, 01:34 AM

I have eaten in a garden does that count?