ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Ministry > Sharing in Ministry

Old 06-17-10, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Default How can people best help missionaries?

All I seem to read about helping missionaries long or short term missionaries say basically
1. send money
2. send money
3. pray for them
4. send money

I am sure that finds are very much needed but are there other things people can do? Susan and Silver I know you have been on mission field and maybe others here have been what do you think from your experience?
1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ... Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Matthew 25:40 & 45

www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 06-17-10, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Money isn't the most important, really. Without prayer, nothing gets done. That said, writing to the missionaries is encouraging. Pen and paper letters with current photos are best. Sometimes people would send small items to us that encouraged us - generally food stuff that was unavailable in Portugal. During times we were in the states, people fed us, lodged us, and gave little things to our children that we could not get overseas and could not afford to buy when we were stateside.

On another note, most missionaries I have known are uncomfortable when placed upon a pedastal. Life is just as daily when you live in a foreign country as it is when you live in the US. Know that missionaries are just like you, and are up against the same difficulties wherever they are that you face each day. If you keep that in mind, it will also help you to pray with knowledge for them.

That said, while money is not the most important thing, being faithful to what you have promised to give, and if possible letting them know as soon as possible if your circumstances dictate that you can no longer help support them is very important. When we were in Portugal, it was not an option for us to find employment within the country. Portugal's economy was, and continues to be difficult, and a "rich" American taking a job on the Portuguese economy deprives the nationals of the means to support their families. Most of our supporters at least let us know when they could no longer support us, but in some cases we were surprised.
Old 06-24-10, 02:18 AM

I don't know what their basic needs are and I've never been a missionary so I don't know. I do think their basic needs do need to be taken care of. However:

John 6:26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.

I think it would be better for some on the mission field to not help others because people are only seeking what they can get.

Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

If people don't get something, will God find faith on the earth?

It is a rhetorical question: "..when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"
Old 06-24-10, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
All I seem to read about helping missionaries long or short term missionaries say basically
1. send money
2. send money
3. pray for them
4. send money
Wait till they learn James 2:15-16.
Old 06-24-10, 03:12 AM

Welcome to the boards Brother Chuck.

Most not all but most missionaries are people who would fit Jesus description of having "left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's" (Mark 10:29) Most again not all know the Bible not just as written word but through walking out the command to go into all the world and preach the gospel (Mark 16:15) to one extent or another so what exactly is it we are to wait till they learn before we even pray for them? These are our brothers and sisters in Christ. So James 2:15 & 16 would seem to apply and we should be caring for their needs in practical ways too. This giving should be directed by God of course we can not all support every missionary abroad and home missions too.

Yes there were people who followed Jesus for the loaves and fishes and others who followed because they hoped to see Rome overthrown and yet Jesus had compassion and chose to feed them more than once. Matthew 19 tells us when the rich young man came to Jesus asking how to have eternal life Jesus told him to sell what he had and give to the poor. The one condition that the apostles laid on Paul was to remember the poor. (Galatians 2:10). Proverbs 19:17 says " He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again." so I don't believe we can justify telling people to just do without help until they learn to walk with Jesus. On a plain old practical basis that doesn't work. Yes feeding programs for example can develop followers who come just to get food but if the person starves to death while unsaved because we could have helped and didn't what eternal profit is there in that? One thing we have learned is that while the Holy Spirit can get anyone's attention any time by whatever means, in general a mama whose child is crying with hunger has trouble hearing and concentrating on anything but her child. Once the child's tummy is filled and mama has tasted the love of Jesus along with her own meal she is a lot more receptive to hear about His dying for her sin. We are then not just saying words we have shown her. Some will always abuse the help but God doesn't give up so neither can we. A man we helped for years absolutely refused to talk about salvation yet when he was in the hospital and drs said he had hours to live his son asked me to see him and he nodded his head and squeezed my hand when I told him once more about Jesus and asked if he wanted to be saved - if not for the bread the family would never have known us or trusted me. That afternoon Jesus not only saved but healed him. The "only hours" of the doctor's prediction turned into 3 solid years in which his whole household was saved and living for the Lord and that near hermit was able to visit the cousins and neighbors who despised him and tell them Who saved and made the change in him. And all that time - ever since he was a small boy a lady who used to be his teacher had been praying for him.

I don't like to disagree with folks their first time here but I can not let this one go by without saying something. I hope you will come back and we can talk more and fiond more things we do agree about. God bless you brother.
Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature Matthew 16:15

Come visit us at http://www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 06-24-10, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't like to disagree with folks their first time here but I can not let this one go by without saying something. I hope you will come back and we can talk more and fiond more things we do agree about. God bless you brother.
I don't get upset when people disagree with me and there is nothing you said that would bother me. If having different opinions upsets a lot of people, I will probably be chief at upsetting people.
Old 06-25-10, 01:36 AM

Glad to hear that
Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature Matthew 16:15

Come visit us at http://www.caringhandsministries.com
Old 01-26-11, 12:20 PM

Well I get requests all the time from missionaries who need bibles, tracts, books, dvds etc. It is a blessing to them when I am able to send them even a small box of bibles. My former Pastor put it best. He said that there are many soldiers (missionaries) but many of them need bullets (literature)

Bible Senders Ministry to date. 8,468 Bibles, 1,833 New Testaments, 53,594 Scripture Books, 891,474 Tracts, 3,243 Bible Studies, over 360 Christian Films, over 3,283 Books and 386 Hymnals