ILJ BoardsAutomatic registration has been closed. If you would like to become a member here, please email iljboards@yahoo.com  

Go Back   ILJ Boards > Community > Christian Fellowship

Notices

Old 04-03-04, 01:27 PM
ILJ Addict

Default is roleplaying wrong?

some people say that roleplaying is bad, even if it dosen't contain magic or witchcraft, I don't know why, is it?
Old 04-03-04, 01:56 PM
<insert witty title here>

It's just make believe, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Old 04-03-04, 10:03 PM
Rather be playing EQ2

Maybe if it was a Christian role-playing game, cuz your role would be Christian. As long as it doesn't contain any magic or you can make the distinction and not let it affect you, but I still have issues with magic being in the game, but sometimes I won't worry about it like in Zelda, so it is kind of confusing for me. My bro rented Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, I played it and was very uncomfortable, it isn't so bad as long as I don't use magic in it. I'd have to say it seems to depend on the person, I see Christians play Diablo games and the such, although I can't see why any Christian would play such a game and would NEVER recommend it. Stick to games like Metroid and Sonic, which is currently my favorite type, I hope I can borrow Sonic Heroe off of my cousin...
Old 04-03-04, 11:33 PM
ILJ Addict

okay, thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it, it makes me feel better about it
Old 04-04-04, 03:06 AM
The Patriot

Is roleplaying wrong? Well, it depends. If you're playing the roles of some evil wizards summoning demons and things... that's probably not a good idea.

On the other hand, I'm playing a fun low-tech GURPS:Space campaign at the moment, and having extraordinary fun doing it. I don't see what sort of problems anyone could have with that.

Member of the 231st Liberal Drone Brigade. Resistance is futile.
Old 04-06-04, 07:19 PM
Speedo

I role play all the time, especially before I call up a girl to ask her out, or am thinking of what the princess of scottland would say before our wedding day...

"SendMe, I don't know where I'd be without you..."

"Ahh, come come, I may be the greatest guy in the world, but I know that you would manage."

"I am so glad that you rescued me..."

"It was nothing, really. (Kisses pricess)."

Sorry you had to see that...

SendMe
Thank God that my salvation is not based upon anything that I have done or can do, but soley upon the love of God who sent His only Son to die for our sins on the cross at Galgotha. His love is eternal, and so is His salvation. Hebrews 13:5b and John 10:28.
Recieve Christ today! Don't miss out on Heaven for the world!
Old 04-06-04, 08:33 PM

SendMe... That was beautiful.

As far as roleplaying goes, I might be extraordinary liberal but I think that you should be allowed to roleplay anything you want. The importance is to make a distinction between real life and your imagination. As for RPGs (role-playing games for those gaming-illiterate), most of those don't even have aspects of roleplaying in them unless you count the fact that you play as another person. Avoiding roleplaying with magic is silly, unless you really believe in it. Ultimately, I think that it depends on the person and how in touch with reality they are.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I used to play Diablo. There's nothing wrong with the game because technically, you're killing the demons so you're the good guy. However, you might just be opposed to the whole killing thing in general, although that doesn't really make sense since both Metroid and Sonic, and most any game now that I think about it, involve killing enemies.

Last edited by Xaos; 04-06-04 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 09:34 PM
Administrator

" Veddy interesting"

1000 points to who ever knows from what TV show this comes from. 2000 if you know who says it.
Old 04-06-04, 10:36 PM

How can these points be applied lap7? What do I win if I collect enough points?
Old 04-06-04, 10:47 PM
Administrator

AAAAHHHHHHH ? Ask somebody who has won before ? Yeah, that's right !

Or wait a minute, maybe there are rewards I'm not sure I have to reveal.
Old 04-06-04, 11:53 PM
ILJ Addict

umm, what's going on?
Old 04-07-04, 12:14 AM
better. Ahhhh.... :)

Thumbs down

Biggest thing I have about it is that I've really yet to meet anyone who can dabble w/o becoming OBSESSED.

Because of this, I've always refused to play if anyone asks. When they insist, I insist. I tried one that wasn't the typical kinda that sucks people in, but I found it uber-boring.

*shrug*

Best thing is to pray on it. God convicts us differently based on our different strengths and weaknesses sometimes.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

help: the pregnant poor research breast cancer feed the hungry save rainforests save animals save kids' lives
Old 04-07-04, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Yes but what about the postscripted?
Old 04-08-04, 10:33 AM
ILJ Addict

Straight from an RPer (roleplayer).

First off, I will say what is right for me may not be right for you. I mean I may be able to play euchre with no problem. But if I play this around someone whom had a gambling addiction it could be wrong for that person to join in.

I don't see many thing wrong with roleplaying. I tend to do it quite a bit, it helps my creativeness (methinks creative writing is sort of like a big role play). I don't usually include magic. Something may seem magical but are not (such as transporting from one place to another).

On game role playing. I try to avoid those that involve magic. But that is hard at times.
95% of the 250 million deaf people in the world are still waiting to "hear" John 3:16.

I am a frequent visiter in the Republic of La La Land!
Old 04-08-04, 11:27 AM

I was reading this and seeing such a thing against magic...

I was wondering about ... like video games, or movies or books that have magic in them...

I love fantasy books.. but i know that a lot of them have quite a lot of magic in them... I always figured that as long as i was able to decern that it wasn't real, and that practicing magic is ungodly, so that i never tried it.. that it was ok.

I know that there have been some books that i read.. (one was a series that talked about neromancy) that i regret reading now.. but especially the one mentioned above, i didn't know that neromancy was what it was until i read something in the Bible addressing it...

so...?
Proverbs 19:21

Psalm 145:1-2
I will exalt you, my God the King;
I will praise your name for ever and ever.
Every day I will praise you
and extol your name for ever and ever.