PDA

View Full Version : poetry.com

Vinnie
09-11-02, 09:59 PM
i signed my mere infatuation poem up over there and they are publishing it in a huge anthology. thats not really a big deal I don't think though. I think that happens to most people who enter their poems there.

they also invited me to some seminar out in california. supposedly I can read my poetry in front of everyone and also be formally inducted as an International poet of merit and honored member of the society for 2002. the fact thats its in California, I live in waterbury, its roughly 600 plus I'd have to pay for hotels means I am declining. It would have been nice to go. They have a few things going on there.

But they sent me a letter saying that they chose me to be one of the 33 poets whose artistry will be recoreded professionally as a special part of a new poetry collection, The Sound of Poetry. Its supposed to be a three album collection. They wrote to me asking me for permission to record it there. That seems cool :)

Should I let them publish my poem on cd?

Nicole
09-11-02, 10:05 PM
my brother has submitted a couple of his poems and he got that same offer at least once that I know of.

I say go ahead and let them publish it :)

then you can sound all cool and say "I have published poetry!" ;)

It's quite a fun thing to say every once in awhile :D I've had a couple poems published in other places.

Michele
09-11-02, 10:07 PM
Hmmm....

My brother writes poetry and sent in his poems through a poetry publishing website. I think it was poetry.com. He did have it published and my mom bought the book. :D He didnt have his poetry selected out of 33 people but he was invited to a seminar at a cost of about $3000 to read his poetry and other stuff. Needless to say, he didnt go. Now, they send us a huge packet about once every two months advertising the seminar and asking for more poetry. It gets kind of annoying. ;) I think you should have your poetry published (if you dont mind the junk mail, but I would be careful before I buy anything. Your poetry is good, so who knows how far you could go! :)

Just my two cents worth. ;):)

Vinnie
09-11-02, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Nicole
my brother has submitted a couple of his poems and he got that same offer at least once that I know of.

I say go ahead and let them publish it :)

then you can sound all cool and say "I have published poetry!" ;)

It's quite a fun thing to say every once in awhile :D I've had a couple poems published in other places.

Nicole, he got the cd offer too? It said this is new. who knows though :rofl:

Chele, the only thing I'd buy is the cd collection if I let them publish me on it and the poetry anthology with my poem in it.

Nicole
09-11-02, 10:16 PM
yup - just asked Mike to make sure - he had the whole "CD" offer thing too - about a year ago. It's most likely just a sales pitch - but hey, if you want you're poem on a CD it can't hurt anything except stuffing more junk mail in your mail box ;)

Vinnie
09-11-02, 10:18 PM
what poem of his did they put on cd. post it for us :angel:

Nicole
09-11-02, 10:21 PM
Oh - he didn't actually put it on the CD - he didn't accept that offer :) I think he may have let them publish it - or maybe he just ignored all of it..I don't know! lol

umm..I can see if I can find the poem. . .

what's with the angel face? :stinkeye:

Vinnie
09-11-02, 10:22 PM
that was actually a good angel face. for some stranege reason I am starting to like poetry more and more lately

Nicole
09-11-02, 10:26 PM
ok..just checking - never know with you ;)

Here you go - I found them :)

Farewell (http://www.poetry.com/Publications/display.asp?ID=P2430998&BN=999&PN=1)

Here Again (http://www.poetry.com/Publications/display.asp?ID=P2430998&BN=999&PN=2)

Flannel Avenger
09-11-02, 11:24 PM
Vinnie, I'll put your poem on a CD for you for half what you'd pay at Poetry.com!

Vinnie
09-11-02, 11:53 PM
:rofl:

i could do that myself LOL

Vinnie
09-11-02, 11:54 PM
its free to get it on the cd but if I want a copy itys like 60 bucks or something :stinkeye:

They should send me a free copy for being on the cd :redhotmad

butterfly
09-12-02, 12:22 AM
I entered something like that once just for the heck of it. I could have been "published" but the catch was I had to buy an anthology for $46. :rolleyes: Needless to say I didn't go for it. ;) Yours sounds a little more legitimate though since they selected you as one of the 33 finalists, though 60 bucks sounds like a bit much for a CD, especially one you SHOULD be getting for free!

Nicole
09-12-02, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie

They should send me a free copy for being on the cd :redhotmad

then they wouldn't make any money - 'cause no one else is going to buy one if they aren't on it :) It's all one big marketing scheme!

Vinnie
09-12-02, 01:56 PM
Thats what I am figuring. If I let them publish it though my poem will get a little publicity though from it :D

Nicole
09-12-02, 02:00 PM
that it would
:)

Laura
09-12-02, 04:08 PM
NO!!! Nonononono!!

Vinnie, do NOT use poetry.com My best friend's Mom is an author, and poetry.com is a big sham thing. They publish every poem they get. Your poetry is awesome, don't let it be ruined by these people. They're just doing all this to make money, go to a different site, PLEASE!

HeatherlyButterfly
09-12-02, 08:05 PM
Vin... I've got things at poetry.com. Like 3-5 of them. Anyway, it's notthe most legitimate place, but it is pubished. It's a money maker for them, butit's not the end of the world. Do what you want. Though I do encourge you to seek publishment elsewhere, too. :)

Nicole
09-12-02, 09:47 PM
yeah..find a place that pays YOU - instead of you paying them! :D

I think if you publish them on Poetry.com you're probably not going to be able to publish them anywhere else because of copyright laws - well, at least that's the way the publishing contracts I've had worked. but maybe that's because they paid me..hmm..I don't know...ignore me! :)

Vinnie
09-12-02, 10:18 PM
i let them host my poem on their site and put it in their big anthology book but its still my poem. i never gave them a free for all right with it ;)

Nicole
09-12-02, 10:22 PM
good :)