PDA

View Full Version : How to replace System or Linkin Park?

Lois Lane
07-29-02, 05:28 PM
Now, I really love System of a Down and Linkin Park but not sure if there are any christian bands that are out there that have a simliar sound but better message? Help, anyone?

I also have been listening to this band The Elms...kind of a mix between The Strokes and Oasis (maybe)...just not as harsh. Pretty good music.

Megan

Ashwee
07-29-02, 05:43 PM
I think you'd like Thousand Foot Krutch, or Skillet.

Nampula
07-29-02, 09:21 PM
aw, ashwee, you beat me to it. :biggrin:

ah, check out EDL too..

Ashwee
07-29-02, 10:04 PM
:biggrin: :angel:

Im in love with TFK!

Laury
07-30-02, 12:05 AM
man... the elms are cool ;)

you may like pax 217, if you prefer skater/punk music.

they're pretty good :D

Ashwee
07-30-02, 12:20 AM
Oh! You might also like Relient K!

Laury
07-30-02, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Ashwee
Oh! You might also like Relient K!

YES!!

relient k is definetly one of my top three bands :D

Nampula
07-30-02, 02:22 AM
:rofl: reliant k doesn't really sound much like SOAD or linkin park...

Laury
07-30-02, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Nampula
:rofl: reliant k doesn't really sound much like SOAD or linkin park...

a) its relient k ;)

&&

b) LOL, i know, but anything to get them advertising sister!

CGC
07-30-02, 02:39 PM
EDL
Project 86
Blindside
Still Breathing
Zao
East West
Living Sacrafice
Embodyment
Gryp

Those are the bands I recommend if you Like SOAD and LInkin Park

also check out Staple they remind me a lot about SOAD

Ashwee
07-30-02, 04:07 PM
Ive never heard SOAD (System of a Down) and only a few songs by Linkin Park...

but I do like Relient K and they have that rocker kinda music.

Kittycat
07-30-02, 04:22 PM
OMG you have NEVER HEARD OF SOAD??

They sing

Prison Song
Needles
Deer Dance
Jet Pilot
X
Chop Suey! *
Bounce
Forest
ATWA
Science
Shimmy
Toxicity *
Psycho
Aerials *

* = currently playing on any rock station

Ashwee
07-30-02, 08:43 PM
I dont listen to secular stations very much....

I do occasionaly though.

Lois Lane
07-31-02, 01:45 PM
Well, I'm back...thanks for all your imput...I have heard some of Reliant K...they are awesome and I'm looking into Pax 217, I think you said. They don't sound like SOAD though, unfortunetely but I listen to alot of skater/punk music (MXPX) also.
CGC: Where would I find Cds by these bands? ARe they hard rock/alternative or basically sounds alot like Linkin and SOAD?

Megan

Kittycat
07-31-02, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ashwee
I dont listen to secular stations very much....

I do occasionaly though.

. . . . . . . . . . .:biggrin:. . . . . . . . . . . . oh ok then. . . *LOL* dont mind me. . . . :what:

CGC
07-31-02, 06:49 PM
you can find all of them on the net
local christian bookstore

possibly Best Buy

Ashwee
08-01-02, 12:07 AM
If you have a Mardel' there they have them.... and even Wal-Mart has a few. (Not very many though :(

Laury
08-01-02, 12:59 AM
alas, don't forget FCB (Family Christian Bookstores).

they're awesome. by far, my favorite.

CGC
08-01-02, 04:03 AM
if you can get the cds from the band

Nampula
08-03-02, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Lois Lane
I listen to alot of skater/punk music (MXPX) also.

i can suggest a lot of punk/pop punk bands if you're interested.

Subtotal
08-06-02, 11:49 AM
I'm a huge Linkin Park fan, so I may be some assistance here...

Anyway, one Christian band that has not been mentioned is 38th Parallel. They sound A LOT like Linkin Park. I definately recommend them, as well as Thousand Foot Krutch, who has already been mentioned. Also, a lot of people compare my band Subtotal to Linkin Park, so you can check out our links below in my signature for info and mp3s of us.

As for System of a Down, I don't think there's any other band, Christian or secular, that sounds like them. They are just too original. I will keep thinking on that one however.

Hope that helps a little. :D

Chris B
08-06-02, 08:47 PM
What are the religious beleives of SOAD? I've only heard their radio songs (Toxicity, Aerials..), and I liked the music (but I didn't really catch any meaning to the lyrics). The vocals are one-of-a-kind, that guy has talent.

For an index of Christian harder-rock groups, try:

http://www.sleeby.com/
http://www.godcore.com

the FCB by me is REALLY expensive (+$5 of MediaPlay's price). But they do have the best selection. Especially for hip-hop.

Ok, check out those websites... oh, and for skater-punk look into The Smiley Kids, I think you'll like them :-)

Pelvidar
08-09-02, 08:13 AM
Starflyer 59 (early stuff is more hard driving rock - newer stuff is more dreamy).

Nampula
08-09-02, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Chris B
oh, and for skater-punk look into The Smiley Kids, I think you'll like them :-)

good grief, you have the greatest taste in music! i honestly doubted that anyone here listened to smiley kids.. i should stop assuming things like that!

i don't know the exact religious beliefs of SOAD, but from what i've heard of them (i have both of their albums but don't have the CD insert, which means no lyrics), they aren't what i'd call "pro Christ."

Lois Lane
08-09-02, 06:17 PM
The spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof, of SOAD are exatly what Nampula had to say...their lyrics are pretty confusing and misleading as to what they belief exactly but I would have to say that, though they deal with some religious themes, they have a dark edge that just cannot be Christian in nature. Their songs also have several cuss words in them. I'm not sure...what does everyone else think?

CGC
08-11-02, 08:50 PM
I thik staple sounds like SOAD but that could be just my opinion

Laury
08-11-02, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Subtotal
Anyway, one Christian band that has not been mentioned is 38th Parallel.

haha! they RULE. i saw their video on TVU last night. totally forgot the name of the song, but they're really really good.

also, if you're into ska/swing music like me, The W's are super good too.

CGC
08-13-02, 12:47 AM
the w's are fun guys to band they are no longer a band :( man I saw them in like 98 wow that was a long time ago last time I saw them though was in 2000 fun times they were hilarious guys

Chris B
08-13-02, 12:55 AM
The W's were cool. I wish I had gotten a chance to see them live :(

Actually, all of the bands on the 5 Minute Walk record label were great (Five Iron Frenzy, The W's, The Smiley Kids, Soul Junk, etc..). Too bad 5MW is also no more :(

k_chupe
03-17-06, 05:16 PM
I am a huge fan of system of a down untill recently. Now that I'm trying to walk the line I'm converting back to Christian music. Problem is I can't seem to satisfy my music hunger with mellow or soft Christian music. I have been searching for a band that has the same sound and style as system of a down but with a positive influence and message. Can someone please help me?:crying:

faeroeisle
03-18-06, 08:01 PM
I don't know what SOAD sounds like, but have you tried Demon Hunter or Underoath, or Disciple? Anberlin is pretty good too(A's music can be found in Christian stores although thier lyrics sound pretty neutral). 12 Stones and Kutless are both really good too. As for punk/ska music, check out the OC Supertones, they're no longer together, but have tons of great albums!

Stephen
03-26-06, 04:54 AM
POD reminds me of linkin park a lot