PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Max.....

Poetry
07-25-02, 08:33 PM
Hello, I've never been here before, but I thought I'd ask you this. I have bought KMax's CD, and well.......I don't know. It doesn't sound Christian AT ALL. I don't care about the way he dresses or anything, I know some people do. (In case your not sure who I'm talking about, it's one of the guys from DC Talk) I have Toby's Cd (Which I LOVE SOOO Much!!! Toby's my fave, by the way;) ) And Michaels, which is really cool too.

But, what do you all think of Kevin Max? I want your honest opinion. I'm not too sure about his lifestyle either, but that's not my area to judge. Please tell me what you think!:confused:

God bless

Shanon

dorfsmith
07-26-02, 04:49 PM
I think KMax is more poetic and artistic than the other two DC boys put together. I love his stuff.

Orpheus42
07-26-02, 05:07 PM
What exactly is it about it that doesn't seem Christian? Is it because he doesn't say "God" or "Jesus" often enough for your liking?

Someone's music doesn't sound "Christian" enough for someone and all of a sudden they're questioning his lifestyle without grounds to do it.... when a secular band can write a song with overtones that could possibly be Christian-influenced (for example, Creed) and suddenly they're swearing up and down that they're really a Christian band that just happens to be on a mainstream label.....

Nampula
07-26-02, 05:09 PM
i agree with jason... who has the right to judge a band (or person, for that matter) as "Christian" enough?

can you post or link some lyrics to demonstrate what you're talking about? i've never heard his album, so i don't really have an understanding of your perspective..

windy
07-27-02, 10:50 AM
I didn't get the impression she was judging ANYONE!!!! She asked a simple question and stated she had doubts. Why is it that on these boards, the minute someone asks opinions and states doubts about a subject everyone is sooooo quick to start correcting them?!?!
Why can't you just say what YOU think?
Poetry said her doubts and said, "ITS NOT PLACE TO JUDGE". So you belabor a point when you feel the need to jump on a soapbox and make someone feel stupid for even asking a question!!!
Can't anyone just be sincerley seeking some in put!?!? There are people out here that really are tring to figure out somethings, when they post about it,its an oppurtunity to say your opinions. WOW!!! This is just amazing that she got treated harshly!!
What if she had doubts about Jesus? What would she have heard?!

Windy

dorfsmith
07-27-02, 11:35 AM
Good Point Windy, that's why I just said how I felt about KMax. I've been attacked several times before but you know what , I still think the people at this board are pretty cool.

I have noticed something though, A lot of Christian boards you get attacked for not being "Christian" enough. Here you get attacked for being too conservative.

Nicole
07-27-02, 11:40 AM
I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to attack anyone here :) Music is something that many people get very passionate about and they do tend to get on a "soapbox" with the issue.

I've not listened to any of Kevin Max's stuff - so I can't really give an opinion. I have heard stuff about him at other times though that suggested his lifestyle was not the best. But, then again, what Christian does have the perfect lifestyle?

Orpheus42
07-27-02, 12:51 PM
*raises hand*

*looks around*

*starts laughing*

*runs away*

*POOF*

Vinnie
07-27-02, 01:07 PM
""""""""who has the right to judge a band (or person, for that matter) as "Christian" enough?""""""""

I do. If I want a Christian CD I have to judge whether what I am buying is Christian or not. Just because it claims to be one does not mean it is one.

""""""But, then again, what Christian does have the perfect lifestyle?"""""""

But doesn't the Bible say somewhere you will know them by their fruit?

Nicole
07-27-02, 01:11 PM
But doesn't the Bible say somewhere you will know them by their fruit?

yup, it sure does. I wasn't saying that it's ok for him to have a bad lifestyle - just saying that just because there may be something bad it doesn't mean he's not a Christian. Granted, I have no idea to what his lifestlye is. If he is producing no good fruit and has many areas of questionable lifestyle I would seriously question if he's living under the grace of God. But, I do that for all people who claim to to be Christians.

CalledByGrace
07-27-02, 01:22 PM
I've never heard of this dude, so I won't get into the middle of this argument....I mean discussion.

Ann
07-27-02, 01:51 PM
I've never heard of him much either but, you know, I think I will get into the discussion.

Jason, bro you know I love you in the Lord but you did come down really heavy on someone just for asking ppl's opinion about some music and lyrics. She specifically stated she was not asking for comments about dress, lifestyle etc. But what really concerns me is that when someone asked why you a joke post like you were mocking them for being cocerned about the discussion one way or the other.

And would it have been wrong if she was asking is such and such dress, behavior, words etc. something appropriate for a Christian or something I shouild consider as a role model. I do not think so.

It's been a long time but I find I agree with Vinnie fully on this one. Each of us has a right and a responsibility to decide what we want to do or be around or put into our life by listening, watching, reading, etc. On one level it is not a whole lot different than determining if we want strawberry shortcake, or a hot fudge sundae. The person has a right to their preference. On another level it is a whoooole lot different. But in either case the person certainly does have the privelege and right to determine whether this is input they want in their life and to use their understanding of wheteher something does or does not minister Christ to them as a criteria in making that decision.

Poetry
07-27-02, 02:13 PM
Well, I'm really enjoying reading all your replies to this post; seeing all your different points of views. I happen to agree with Vinny, but that's just what I think. Your free to say what you all think, but try not to be so harsh to someone about their opinions.;) That's all I wanted in the beginning: opinions about his music. No one is right or wrong, since it is their opinion. About Kevin's lifestyle, I'm not going to go into that area. That is between Kevin and God. There maybe some things I don't agree with that he does, but, Oh Well. It's still between Kevin and Christ. That's not what I'm asking, I'd just like to know what you have to say about his music:)

I hope I can get all your opinions on this subject, without any of you getting upset. :(

You're all a really cool bunch of people here.:cool:

God bless, and may Christ's peace be with you all.

Shanon

Candice
07-27-02, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Ann
It's been a long time but I find I agree with Vinnie fully on this one. Each of us has a right and a responsibility to decide what we want to do or be around or put into our life by listening, watching, reading, etc. On one level it is not a whole lot different than determining if we want strawberry shortcake, or a hot fudge sundae. The person has a right to their preference. On another level it is a whoooole lot different. But in either case the person certainly does have the privelege and right to determine whether this is input they want in their life and to use their understanding of wheteher something does or does not minister Christ to them as a criteria in making that decision.

whoa :eek: you actually agree with Vincent ;)

well here's another shocker I agree with him on this point to. It says in the bible that we are to think upon whatever is good, holy ect. and I know that music is more than just something I listen to(I mean I'm going to college for it) and I know that whateer goes into my life is what comes out. So I watch what I fill myself up with.

Vinnie
07-28-02, 02:03 AM
Ann, I agree that is appears that Jason came down a little harsh. Shanon, if you think so give J another chance. He's really cool and I'm sure he didn't mean to.

Someone's music doesn't sound "Christian" enough for someone and all of a sudden they're questioning his lifestyle without grounds to do it.... when a secular band can write a song with overtones that could possibly be Christian-influenced (for example, Creed) and suddenly they're swearing up and down that they're really a Christian band that just happens to be on a mainstream label.....

I must admit that I am not sure what Jason meant here. Is this to be taken as applying to Shanon or is Jason just ranting in general about this tendency? I think he is correct. Christians will swear up and down that Creed is a Christian band but will question "Christian" music because it doesn't sound "Christian" enough. They will also extend this to their lifestyle. Usually, we don't have much to go by with judging a musician's lifestyle. So I think the "without grounds to do it is correct". What do I really know about how the members of Audio Adrenaline live? Vurtually nothing at all. If J was ranting in general I see his comments as less harsh but if they were meant specifically at Shanon then they did seem harsh.

Shanon did say: "I don't care about the way he dresses or anything" and also "that's not my area to judge" so I'm not sure if J was speaking about Shanon or not. He can tell us what he meant though.

dorfsmith
07-28-02, 02:39 AM
Hey Poetry, I'm glad we didn't scare you away from here. I think everyone here has good points but I fall into a different category completely. I don't like the idea of a Christian music industry where we make money on the name of Christ. I think music should be music and the listener decides if it is OK for a Christian to listen to. There are two extreme Types of music fans--one kind that listens to anything "Christian" because it's called "Christian" and to me those people are lazy because they never question it to see if it is good spiritual food or lame junk food lyrics lacking in both substance and art. The other extreme listens to anything "Christian" or "Secular" and does not check it out with God at all. I fall somewhere in the middle in that I listen to both
"Christian" and "Secular" music as long as it does not offend me or make me feel that it displeases God. I threw out my Type O Negative CD's because they were so offensive. I also threw out my Carmen CD's I bought as a kid because as a more mature Christian I see how shallow and lame those CD's were. I wait for the day (that will probably never come) where music is music and every Christian has to listen to it, think about it, and choose if they believe it is right for them as a believer in God to listen to. That will be the day that Quality music will shine and art will truely be appreciated.

Orpheus42
07-28-02, 03:43 PM
Vinnie's right, I should have put a disclaimer at the front of my post saying "caution: general rant ahead" ;)

But what did bother me about the first post of this thread was that the poster made allegations about Kevin Max's music without posting any reasons for questioning it (she did make the disclaimer about not knowing anything about his lifestyle, and not being judgemental there. Nicole was the one who made a statement about his lifestyle). Putting the issue of "what defines the boundaries of "Christian music" aside for now, if someone is claiming to be a Christian artist and then not living it, I would like to know so I won't recommend him as a Christian artist (I might still recommend him as an ARTIST, though). To just come on an internet board and say someone is not portraying the fruits without showing HOW that person is not being straight up is pretty shady in and of itself. Under certain circumstances, it COULD border on libel/slander (I can't remember which would apply, I think one is spoken and one is written).

And logically speaking, a person's lifestyle doesn't affect the objective truth of what he speaks/sings... but we as Christians, of course, know that the two should not be separated. The question is... what is the difference between an honest mistake and full-blown backsliding? It's a cross those in a public forum such as the music industry must carry every day when pretty much anything they do or say could be news. I think we should remember that before we come down on them without saying what exactly it is we're coming down on them for.

We had a discussion about it a while ago, and it kind of died... so I'm going to try again to start a new topic about what defines the boundaries of Christian music. From reading dorf's most recent post in this thread, I think I might like what he has to say ;)

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

Poetry
07-28-02, 06:19 PM
Okay.I will try to make myself clear here. First, all I said was I didn't agree with somethings Kevin said he likes doing. But some people might not have a problem with it. But, let's just PLEASE get off the subject of Kevin's lifestyle;) Since Jason thought I should give reasons why I'm questioning his music, here is a lyric:

Title: "Dead End Moon"

As the sand shifts cool beneath your feet

By the light of a dead end moon

Your haunted fingers on my skin so sweet

Your hair the darkess loom

Like a cherub left to gather moss

Like a ship without a sail that's tossed

Like a vassle to his kingdom lost

My soul so pale

Oh my lonley heart

Oh my souless girl

Will you ever let me go?

Chorus:

I don't wanna cry no more

And here I wander aimless

I just wanna find the cure

To my growing weekness

And the one who wanders is not lost my friend

From on top a Moorish wall I stand

I see the valley stretching

The mist of sea's are pulling in

From you cliff I'm stranded

Oh my lonley heart

Oh my souless girl

Will you ever let me go

'Repeat Chorus'

Oh dark mistress

My only salvation

If only to hold you in blessed suspension

Eyes that hold midnight

Smile that brings out light

Strange facination

My only placation

'Repeat Chorus'

Now, that song is just a little too dark, weird and quite lustful for my liking. I've heard other people say 'well, that's not quite what he meant',... fine. But it's what the song insinuated, what people are going to think when they here it. Most people don't know (and some don't care) what he really meant by it. I'm not saying all his songs have to say "God, Jesus' ect. but it would be nice if some did. Yes, there is a hidden track on his CD where he talks about God; didn't particularly like the fact that it was hidden. I didn't even find it until one time I just left the cd going after the last song, and I think about 3 minutes later it came on. There are more songs that I find questionable, and I think could have double-meanings, but it takes a while to type them up. But, if you would like me to type another up, just ask.

You have read my example, can you tell me what you think?

Shanon

Orpheus42
07-29-02, 12:32 AM
Will comment later when I'm awake enough to say more than one-liners :)

dorfsmith
07-29-02, 01:40 AM
I love KMax's poetry. I understand how many people might think it not "Christian" enough, but as a poet myself I understand that much of what he says has a very personal meaning that only he might know. Such is the case with one of my poems.

Daughter Of The Earth

You will be the weeping willow
Like a druid's daughter
You will be as beautiful
As a lamb to slaughter
You will be sensual
Like a precious Vial
You will be naked
Like a summer child

The green surrounds you
Comforts and adores you
Your body like a crystal pool
And dreams are spilled into you
Flowers caress your tender legs
Tickle your thighs and spin your thoughts
The grass so soft on which you sleep
Will give you haves and take have nots

You will be the whisper in the wind
Like a thought transcending time
You will be the silent scream
Of an understanding mime
You will laugh into existance
All the things that make me smile
You will share with me your charm
Amd make me walk the extra mile

The candles burn for you
Warming up you fears
Your face like a silver moon
Reflecting all your tears
The dead oak bends as if in jest
The crimson roses start to bloom
Your world a painting of my soul
A subtle mix of joy and gloom

If I was a recording artist I'd make this into a song and noone would know it's full meaning. They might find ways in which they can relate to parts of it, but for the most part the meaning would be up for debate. Some might think it a piece of art that should be displayed and others might think that it is anti God or not uplifting enough. All I would be doing is expressing myself the best way I could and hoping that people enjoyed it as much as I do. Poetry is theropy in a way, and I write about all things in my life, kind of like a poetic code journal. Most of my poems are about God because He is such a big part of my life, but the one above was about another part of life. A part that has God in it but does not always put Him in people's faces.

Nampula
07-29-02, 02:04 AM
i think you made an excellent point about the darkness & lust implied by those words.. & while i wouldn't say that i think that's what he's suggesting, someone who doesn't know much about him or the Christian music scene could easily misinterpret that.

Poetry
07-29-02, 08:20 PM
That was a good poem, dorfsmith. I like it alot. I think it would make a wonderful song, also. Kevin's, though, I thought insinuated lust. I am a poet myself, thus my screen name;) I like some of Kevin's poems, but not too many. I do like to look deeper into his songs(really any song I hear) than what I'd first get out of hearing it. But, I'm afraid I might drown looking for the true meaning of Kevin's songs:) I think (not to change the subject) I'll post one of my poems on a new thread. God bless

Shanon

dorfsmith
07-30-02, 01:35 AM
I'd love to see your work Poetry.

Ashwee
08-18-02, 01:31 PM
I havent heard alot of his solo work, only one song- Existence.

I love his voice though.

There is a big contrast in DC Talk's work and his solo songs.