PDA

View Full Version : secular music

nicki
06-24-02, 01:11 AM
Hey,
Ok I have a question about secular music....I know how to tell the difference between secular music and Christian basically...But there are some bands that people say are Christian but they arent....They sell them in Christian stores but there lyrics dont say annything about God.The lyrics could be directed to God but they could also be directed to a boyfriend or girlfriend....How do I tell the difference???
:confused: :umm: :)

Candice
06-24-02, 01:50 AM
I never judge anything I listen to or do for that matter on how the world labels it. For the world and Jesus are two opposites and I know that the world cannot properly define what is and is not Christian. My guide is God, if I cannot see myself gloifying God by listening to what I'm listening to or if it is something I know that Jesus would never listen to expecially if it contains things that brought Jesus to the cross(lust, cursing, etc.) I know that it is not something I should listen to. I follow(as best I can) the same example as Jesus who we are to follow I do not do anything I do not see the father in heaven doing.

Chris B
06-24-02, 04:04 AM
I think this is sort of a long post... you can just skim it if it is too boring, poorly written, or you are just in a hurry. And no spell check, either.

I agree, it can get confusing sorting through all the labels that record companies, stores, the media, and advertising agencies place on everything.

First, music (as in the physical vibrations usually arranged in timed patterns which are detected by your ear and interpreted by your brain... actually, its quite a fascinating and complex process that I don't think I understand) can not be "Christian" or "Jewish" or "Republican". Its the message delivered in the lyrics that can agree or disagree with the teachings of Christ or the ideals that make up the republican platform. Its the words that are Christian or Secular, not the music.

In classifying a music genre, people tend not to treat the music and the lyrics as two seperate entities... therefore punk rock is aggressive, drum-driven, with distorted and usually non-melodic guitar, and angry (non-Christian) lyrics. But then what happens when a band comes along that is aggressive, drum-driven, with distorted and non-melodic guitar, but has happy go lucky lyrics? The Punk definition doesn't fit and everybody is horribly confused. So I say define music genres by music style only, and let the song writers write the lyrics.

wow, I like it; I'm going to copy this post and use it in an essay I'm writing on the topic. Now onto the original question...

Wait, one more cliche to mention: "There are no Christian bands, only Christian people in bands".

Five Iron Frenzy has a song called "Oh Canada" which has nothing to do with Jesus Christ or God in any way. In fact it goes as far as to claim the untruth tht Yaks live in Canada. But I don't think anybody would argue that Five Iron Frenzy is not a Christian band... their songs (and the church several of the members started) have made a huge [positive] impact on Denver and the world (well, at least the US and South Africa :cool: ). Moral: when deciding if you agree with the ideas of a band (whether or not they are Christian), listen to more than one song. And, lots of "secular" bands are labelled that not because they are anti-Christian (in fact many are made up of Christian members) but because their songs are silly and don't mention God (but a silly song about play-dough can sometimes lift your spirits more than the best praise song ever. Enjoying life is a good thing. Laughter is a medicine and all that...).

My guide is God, if I cannot see myself gloifying God by listening to what I'm listening to or if it is something I know that Jesus would never listen to expecially if it contains things that brought Jesus to the cross(lust, cursing, etc.) I know that it is not something I should listen to.A good guidline. Especially look for lyrics which try to rationalize things such as lust. Nobody is perfect (you or the band), and you will be hard pressed to find a band (or anybody in this world) that you completely agree with. Some of my favorite bands have one or two songs that really don't fit in with the band's traditional values.... but I'm sure I could rebuttal half of my own essays. Moral: Um... I think you already know how to tell the difference between bands worth listening to and those that aren't... just stick with your gut on those bands which the Christian Bookstore might advertise as Christian, but whose lyrics are (sometimes overly obvious) directed at girlfriends/boyfriends.

Nampula
06-25-02, 03:38 AM
heh, i'll keep my advice short & simple.

first, the reason secular-sounding bands are sold in Christian stores is because they're on Christian labels, whether its because the members are decidedly Christian but lack particularly spiritual lyrics, or because they called themself a Christian band to get signed (its easier to break into the Christian music scene than the secular one).

to tell if a band is "Christian" enough for your tastes, go online & read their lyrics.. if you feel that you can, in short, get your praise on to words like that, go for it. if you think its not God-lovin enough for you, pass on it.

dorfsmith
07-03-02, 02:11 AM
Some of this has already been said, but let me sum it up for you. There are no Christian bands. There are Christians and non-Christians. Every book we read or every movie we watch does not have to mention God so why do we expect all music to have lyrics about Jesus? We are in the world and therefore we relate to many kinds of lyrics. Some are about our relationship with God and some are about our relationships with others. What we really must watch out for as Christians are lyrics that turn Jesus into a catchy slogan or reduce Him to a happy joy joy god that always has a smile on his face and never deals with the difficult subjects that affect us. Those who cheapen God and try to make Him seem cool instead of all powerfull and the Saviour of the universe are the ones we should watch out for.

Orpheus42
07-08-02, 01:59 AM
Do you go into a hospital and ask specifically for a Christian doctor? Or do you look for a doctor who will fill your need?

Should you choose your music based on a Christian label, or on whether or not it fills your need? In many cases I have been better ministered by secular music than by Christian music. This is not always the case, but it's happened often enough to make me wary of the "Christian music" label.

Take my hand
Take my whole life too
'Cause I can't help
Falling in love with you

Who sang that? If you said Elvis Presley, then you are correct. If you said Third Day, then you are also correct.

I think a lot of times we use the wrong point of distinction when judging and choosing our music.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

Vinnie
07-08-02, 01:59 AM
Looking at some of the reasons put forth in this thread, it would seem justified in saying that Five Iron Frenzy is not a Christian band.

Nampula
07-08-02, 12:59 PM
ahh, good ole FIF. which reminds me..

"not acid or base to test in a beaker... hold your divining rod up to the speaker.. litmus tests a piece of paper.. you'll never formulate your Maker."

Eris
07-08-02, 01:28 PM
If the musician's heart truly belongs to God, the lyrics will reflect that. If not, then they will reflect that too.

Orpheus42
07-12-02, 12:04 PM
Another question- why should "Christian" music be defined only as that which speaks about God or explicitly Christian themes?

I have a huge beef with the way CCM is marketed because it's the only musical "genre" of which I can think that is marketed solely according to lyrical content rather than musical style.

Another thought- you can write songs about the light, or you can write them about what you can see by the light. Songs in the latter group tend to reach a wider audience. I occasionally like to say that my goal as an artist is to give everyone in the world an existentialist crisis. The last song I wrote (which I will be posting sometime soon, as soon as I have a copy of it within reach of the computer) is called "Iconoclast", it doesn't mention God ever- it's about how when you tear down a physical icon or idol the root heart problem doesn't go away merely because you destroy the icon. I know many people who would judge the worth of that song merely by whether it was marketed as "Christian" or not, not for the merits of the song itself. I think that's ridiculous. How many non-Christians want to listen to music from a Christian label? How else, then, can artists reach them?

Jesus is Lord. There is no area of my life where I can say to him, "That's different, you wouldn't understand. Stick to religious stuff."

/end tangent

Jason

Nampula
07-12-02, 06:53 PM
preach it, brother!

Orpheus42
07-12-02, 09:03 PM
As promised, I have posted Iconoclast.

http://www.iljboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=118569

Also check out the other three songs I posted recently: Regret, Name, and 21.

How do these fit in with your perceptions of Christian music?

Jason

|x|
07-25-02, 04:38 AM
it's like creed - they're not a christian band, but they have songs about God and judgement day.. so i think that it can be considered christian music. the band and the music they put out are often entirely different things. still, it would be cool if they did give their hearts to the Lord. i always wondered what Godsmack would sound like if they got saved and then made more cds??.. lol, i may be wrong; but i think a name-change would be a good idea!!

dorfsmith
07-25-02, 04:29 PM
I heard the lead singer of Godsmack talking about the name and saying that what it really means is that when we do something wrong and then something bad happens that's a Godsmack. I thought it was funny. But I do wonder what a self professing witch like him would know about God.

Nampula
07-25-02, 06:45 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but i always thought godsmack got their name from an alice in chains song.

coolhandluke
07-26-02, 06:28 PM
buy what ministers to you. i know of a lot of christian bands, whose lyrics aren't all directly about God. a lot of Christian bands, are not ministry bands exactly. they don't feel called to directly make songs and music focused directly on God, or to preach at their shows. they feel called to make music, and often times, their faith comes through in their lyrics, but other times it doesn't so obviously. i see nothing wrong with this. as i see nothing wrong with bands who focus very obviously and directly on God in their lyrics. if you like bands with lyrics very god-based, then get online, and find lyrics, and buy cds by bands whose lyrics touch you. i, personally, have been very ministered to by some non-christian bands. my favorite band is not a christian band. none of the member's are christians, and obviously, none of the lyrics are god-based. the lyrics are very intelligent, and really make me think about things, and just really touch me. as does a lot of "secular" music. that's just me though, and that's not really what the post was dealing with. so: go online, find lyrics, buy cds whose lyrics touch you and minister to you. later.

-katie