PDA

View Full Version : Praise and worship.

uniquelyhis
06-05-02, 02:17 PM
More and More musicians have been recording praise music on their albums such as Newsboys, Michael W.Smith, Philip Craig and Dean and rebecca St James. I would like to know is, do you like Praise music?

CalledByGrace
06-05-02, 02:30 PM
It's funny...I love singing it, but I can't stand listening to it. :) I guess I'm odd in that way.

Sny
06-07-02, 06:15 AM
No, you're not.:) I can totally understand that point of view. As a Christian, I love good worship songs that speak the truth and glorify God. But as a musician, most Christian music makes me sick!:sick: I'm sorry if this offends people, but I just can't stand most Christian music. Ewww!

God bless,

Sny

CalledByGrace
06-08-02, 09:46 PM
Exactly! I can't stand most Christian music. But if I get the background music, learn it, preform it, and than listen to it by the orignal artist I usually love it.

Ashwee
06-09-02, 12:38 PM
Oh! I love it.. its gotta be one of my fav. types!

uniquelyhis
06-12-02, 03:50 PM
Kudos for you who not only love to listent o worship music, but [FONT=times new roman][COLOR=darkblue] love to sing it! When I sing it, I sing it from my heart because I mean it.

:( Maybe those of you who can't stand have not been brought up in a church that uses contemporary worship and I understand.
But how can you not like singing songs about God? Who do you like to sing songs about? Would you rather glorify Satan or God? Your choice.:)

Sny
06-13-02, 04:55 AM
Actually, my church has a very wide range of worship styles, ranging from old to new. Also, Starkissez and I both said that we love to sing worship songs. Personally, when I do listen to Christian music, it is most likely worship music, because this music gives glory to God. Our distaste for worship music has nothing to do with the message. It has everything to do with the style of music. I know that it's called "contemporary," but if you take an honest assessment of the style, you'll find that most worship music and contemporary Christian music is very outdated. Some Christian musicians and recording artists will even admit to this.

If you are not a musician or an artist of some sort, this may be hard to understand. However, most professional level Christian musicians and artists can easily understand what I'm saying. There is a very distinct difference between the message of a song and the artistry and excellence of a song.

God bless,

Sny

Ashwee
06-14-02, 12:00 AM
Singing it is the best part!

AgentPhyte003
06-16-02, 01:07 AM
Not to be technical, but isn't any song that exalts God or says why He is the coolest of cool a praise/worship song?

Ashwee
06-16-02, 03:26 AM
Eh... good point.... :umm:

something about the mood of the song mabye.

Sny
06-16-02, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by AgentPhyte003
Not to be technical, but isn't any song that exalts God or says why He is the coolest of cool a praise/worship song?

Theoretically, yes! And I think that a lot of songs are like that. However, from a purely musical standpoint, "praise and worship" songs are best defined by their singability. If it's too wordy or has some wacked out melody line, it probably wouldn't go over well in a church's praise and worship service.

God bless,

Sny

straw
06-18-02, 12:55 AM
Go for it SNY. I too am a christian muso that detests the airy fairy pscho babble they call "praise" and "worship" these days in christian churches. Give me the decent praise songs where we talk of Jesus and what He has done for us. Not the silly ones with silly words and great music.

uniquelyhis
06-20-02, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE]"not the silly ones with silly words and great music"

Can you tell me what songs you think are silly? Better yet, tell me what songs you don't think is silly because I haven't heard any songs that you may think is "silly":rolleyes:

Let me ask you this do you even have a fave worship group? Mine is Vineyard.

straw
06-20-02, 04:31 PM
I'll go through my music folder and write out the names of the "silly" songs. In short, the ones I'm talking of are the ones that are "spiritually bankrupt". You know, the ones with the airy fairy breathless "I love You""s and the meaningless church jargon. No one seems to know what it means if you ask them and the words don't talk of Jesus or God and what He's done for us - just seem to praise the Holy Spirit (which is actually contrary to what scripture says) and have feelings as the subjective alternative to having the Holy Spirit within.

My main point is that church music has gone the way of the world. Sony music holds the yes/no for most of the top christian music labels now and so has a big hold on what they can/can't sell. It is very difficult a lot of times to distinguish between a christian band and a non christian one. In fact, even in churches!!

Christian music and secular music sound the same. We are no different to the world and it's standards. We may be "hip" "cool" and "radical" but we are also the laughing stock of the secular community!!

Ashwee
06-29-02, 12:38 AM
Laughing stock of the secular community???

Dont ya think thats a bit extreme?

I dont necessarily think its THAT far.

Also, I LIKE the new Christian music.

Because secular music sets the stage, and everybody listens to that, they have to get peeps to listen to their stuff by changing with the styles.

I find nothing wrong with it either.

Nampula
06-29-02, 01:08 PM
i like praise & worship, but i'm with neddie & sny... i don't like "fluff." my favorite worship band is madison greene because the best worship service i had was with them.. waterdeep & 100 portraits also have some amazing worship on their album "enter the worship circle." i like lyrics that do more than rhyme "your sacrifice" with "my life," you know? i want some meat to my praise! since the 3 bands i named use djembes & congas, i might as well say that i prefer those in worship to traditional percussion..

i also love the david crowder band-- while they have some pretty simple lyrics, there's none of that "breathy" stuff someone was talking about-- it's giddy, it's energetic, & it just totally puts me in the mood to jump around, happy to be a believer.

& straw, i agree with you, too, about "silly" songs.. we sang one called "satan don't allow" on a retreat for my church last year, & at the time the song was fun.. but then we started singing it every week & students would start laughing & doing the hand gestures & paying more attention to acting stupid than praising God.. eventually some fellow seniors & i started a petition to stop singing it.

uniquelyhis
07-03-02, 03:33 PM
Perhaps Straw does not believe in the trinity: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

In Genesis, it is written that God said "Let us" being all 3. Jesus himself said he was there in the beginning. In the new testament Jesus was God incarnate (This is also proven in Colosssians). In the book of John, he told his disciples that when he is gone God was going to send the Holy Spirit (The third part of the trinity)

This may be a little bit too difficult for him to grasp. It sure was for the mormons, but it is true. First there was God then there was jesus then the holy spirit. There is a doxology that even says we are to praise "The father son and holy ghost (spirit) So you see, Straw, it is not far fetched to praise the Spirit.

Alo, Jeb has a point. The resaon that Christian music sounds like secular music is to spread the gospel to people who don't care for churchy music. Paul siad that he became as a jew to win the jews and as one under the law to those who are under the law.
You got to reach them where they are at. How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? That is why there is Christian rap, Christian Rock, Christian Country, etc. You know who the first Christian artist I liked? Amy Grant because I heard "Love has a found a Way" on a secular music station. So don't put down the styles of Christian Music. You do not know who is listening to it and recieving the good news.:mad:

uniquelyhis
07-08-02, 06:53 PM
I disagree with what Sny and Straw says. All Christian music glorifies God. Does it matter how it sounds if he is recieving our praise in song?

I do not consider the songs like Rock of Ages or Amazing grace a praise song. It is a Hymn.

As for Christian music sounding secular it has too. How else are we going to win people if all they hear are churchy hymnal songs.
To reach theose listening to rap, rock, country or soul, artists will play that style.

I am glad we have a variety of Christian music to listent o otherwise I wold be listening to nothing or worse--secular music that does not glorify God.:mad:

Orpheus42
07-12-02, 12:09 PM
But how can you not like singing songs about God? Who do you like to sing songs about? Would you rather glorify Satan or God?
Does not singing about God explicitly automatically glorify Satan? Do you have to sing "Christian" music to glorify the Lord? Does secular music automatically not glorify God?

Technically, "praise song" isn't really a genre. A hymn can be a praise song, a rap tune can also be a praise song.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

uniquelyhis
07-17-02, 04:16 PM
The scripture says that God inhabits in our praise. Last weekend, I experience that and so did others, Have you felt the holy spirit come in while you were singing secular songs? Also listent o the lyrics of the secular song and you tell me what it is about it? Are you singing about the things that pertains to God and jesus or about things of the world. Jesus said he was not this world. Also praise music makes satan run. He can't stand it when we are praising God. If you sing abiout sex, drugs, alcohol, death, murder, etc you are glorifying God is it good to sing about how good it is to have sex when you are not married? Or how about songs about loneliness only when God can fill it and not another human being. Think about it. Read what david did when he came home from battle. Read how Jehosophat responded when they were about to be attacked. They were singing praises to God. So how does that Glorify God when especially Jehosophat won the victory.

Psalms 92:1 " It is good to give thanks to the Lord and to sing priases to your name O Most High."

dorfsmith
07-18-02, 05:25 PM
OK, here's my take on all this. Most modern worship songs are Shallow repetative and meaningless. I'm only 25 so when I say this it's not coming from an old guy who was raised on hymns but I find that hymns have the true substance and they are what worship is all about. Hymns tell what God did for us and tell us why we worship and praise Him. To sing "I worship You" is singing about the act of worship but not actually doing it. I'm afraid that we don't really know what worship is anymore--it's not saying we worship, it's actually doing it. Hymns qualify as worship because we are saying that when Christ died for us he showed us that he is worthy of our loyalty. He is the worthy leader who will save us from our sin. Praise is the same way. To sing "I praise You" is simply talking about the act. But to say You died for my sins is to praise God for what He did for us.

The worst or lamest praise song was when my church did Big House by Audio Adrenaline every Sunday. How shallow!!!!!!!

AgentPhyte003
07-21-02, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by dorfsmith
OK, here's my take on all this. Most modern worship songs are Shallow repetative and meaningless. I'm only 25 so when I say this it's not coming from an old guy who was raised on hymns but I find that hymns have the true substance and they are what worship is all about. Hymns tell what God did for us and tell us why we worship and praise Him. To sing "I worship You" is singing about the act of worship but not actually doing it. I'm afraid that we don't really know what worship is anymore--it's not saying we worship, it's actually doing it. Hymns qualify as worship because we are saying that when Christ died for us he showed us that he is worthy of our loyalty. He is the worthy leader who will save us from our sin. Praise is the same way. To sing "I praise You" is simply talking about the act. But to say You died for my sins is to praise God for what He did for us.

I agree there is a great place for hymns and some of the modern songs are shallow. However I think some of the new songs fill a role that hymns don't. For example, open the eyes of my heart is one of my favorite songs, because I make it a prayer. That song perfectly gives words to what i want to be a daily prayer, and that is something that How Great Thou Art, does not do quite as well. (but How Great Thou Art still rocks hardcore!) Some modern worship songs do fulfill the same purpose as hymns.

dorfsmith
07-21-02, 02:38 AM
You are right. I shouldn't have said that all modern praise songs are shallow. Awesome God is still one of my favorite songs. Rich Mullins wrote what I like to call modern hymns. Keith Green was another amazing writer and Create In Me A Clean Heart still makes me cry out to God. I just get bothered by the shallow stuff. The Swirling Eddies have a song on their Zoom Daddy CD called The Twist about Jesus hanging on the cross and looking down at us. I get chills everytime I hear it. "...Look me in the face, at least what's left of it/ tell me you still love me, just a little bit...touch my side let doubt be crucified..." I should print it all but I guess you all should just get the CD. That song alone is worth it. danielamos.com has it. I love deep worship songs that cause me to seek God. I hate singing songs in church that mean nothing but happy joy joy. Those songs are fake and so unrealistic.

Orpheus42
07-22-02, 01:45 PM
Apologies for not getting a response in, time has been limited so I'll try and say something productive in the near future ;)

uniquelyhis
07-24-02, 02:43 PM
So we are entitled to our own opinions and appreciate your honest feelings about these things. Hymns are great but are sacred. I grew up ina church that sang hymns and there really is nothing wrong with it. (I have a few favorites myself) It just that The praise and worship songs(most of them that is) expresses how I feel about Jesus. I can't express it through hymns.

What I like about hymns is there are stories behind them. Like Amazing Grace was about a hard slavemaster or It is Well With my Soul about someone whose family had died on a ship or plane (can't remember each) Fanny Crosby wrote the music to Blessed Assurance and a nother lady gave her the words. So I am in no way putting down Hymns. It is just I have grown out of them.