PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bible Verses

Vinnie
12-02-01, 04:34 PM
FBRC =Flannel's Book Review Continued.

Isaiah 49:15 "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!"

Blessings.

Vinnie
12-02-01, 04:40 PM
1 Corinthians 13
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Nicole
12-02-01, 05:18 PM
*looks at signature looks at Vinnie's post*

hmmm..looks familiar

Katie_543
12-02-01, 07:23 PM
hmmm....so you DO read that Bible thingy afterall!!!

Vinnie
12-02-01, 07:44 PM
I might have read some of it ;)

Katie_543
12-02-01, 08:01 PM
I see...

So...did you finally post some Bible verses because you were tired of Flannel ordering you to all the time? :p

Vinnie
12-02-01, 08:17 PM
I created a new thread purposefully so I could use it as a loophole in case someone said what you just said :D

The Tyrant is 6 steps ahead of ya :p

Katie_543
12-02-01, 08:22 PM
Well that's a lousy excuse! :p

Vinnie
12-02-01, 08:36 PM
Accurate, none the less. :p

Nicole
12-02-01, 08:36 PM
:rofl:

y'all are funny!

Katie_543
12-02-01, 08:39 PM
Thank you! :)

But I still think that's a lousy excuse, Vinnie! :p

Vinnie
12-03-01, 01:43 AM
I will delete all posts not relevant to the topic at hand :p

Vinnie
12-04-01, 12:08 AM
I'm warning you! If you want to insult the Tyrant accompany it with a Bible verse!

Butterfly, he is taking my post off topic. Exercise your right to edit and delete posts as required please.

Ha! I'm getting flutterby after you now :p

Vinnie
12-04-01, 03:29 PM
Scriptures flannel boy !

Flannel Avenger
12-04-01, 04:30 PM
Cut that out! I'll have them later today!

butterfly
12-04-01, 06:05 PM
Don't tempt me Vinnie!!

Vinnie
12-04-01, 11:04 PM
Hey Cath, I deleted a few of his comments cuz they were blatantly off-topic and had no scripture verses in them. If he doesn't quote something later I'm deleting his last post ;)

butterfly
12-04-01, 11:44 PM
LOL, ok but if you want to appear unbiased you should really delete Katie's posts too....otherwise it just looks like you're out to get Flannel....which you are but that's besides the point. ;)

Umm, oh yah, Bible verse.

"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Isaih....err.. some number of chapter:some number of verse :)

Flannel Avenger
12-04-01, 11:59 PM
Isaiah 49:25 (NASB) Surely, thus says the LORD, "Even the captives of the mighty man will be taken away. And the prey of the Tyrant will be rescued; For I will contend with the one who contends with you. And I will save your sons."

Katie_543
12-05-01, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by butterfly
LOL, ok but if you want to appear unbiased you should really delete Katie's posts too....otherwise it just looks like you're out to get Flannel....which you are but that's besides the point. ;)

Hey!!! Shhhh!!!! I'm being good now. :)

"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Isaih....err.. some number of chapter:some number of verse :)

Isaiah 40:31!! How could you forget that?!? Oh, maybe it's just me that has that one memorized. ;)

It's my Confirmation verse. When I was in Junior Youth we even painted that one on one of the walls of our church. There is a great big Eagle right beside it flying through lightning and clouds. It's really cool. :biggrin:

Pelvidar
02-08-02, 07:23 AM
WHat's the idea behind this thread? I don't really get it, but I want in :)

Orpheus42
02-08-02, 10:16 AM
It's Vinnie's posting his favorite verses in Flannel's thread without really posting in Flannel's thread ;)

Breni Sue
02-09-02, 03:27 PM
Copied from the Book/Movie Reviews forum. ;)
Same rules apply though - must stay on-topic, or else! :smash: :biggrin:

Breni Sue
02-09-02, 03:31 PM
May as well post one of mine while I'm here! :)

Ecclesiastes 3:1-9

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Pelvidar
02-09-02, 06:11 PM
Proverbs 21:16

"Those who wander from the way of understanding will come to rest in The Assembly Of The Dead"

Cheers! :)

Orpheus42
02-09-02, 06:16 PM
so THAT'S why you used that as the title of your web site ;)

Pelvidar
02-10-02, 09:02 PM
Bingo! :)

Breni Sue
02-12-02, 01:12 AM
1Timothy 6:10-11 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

Polaris
02-15-02, 03:21 PM
¤By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.-Proverbs 24:3-4

¤For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."-Hebrews 13:5

¤In due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.-Galatians 6:9

¤Set your mind on things above, not things on Earth.-Colossians 3:2

¤Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you.-Psalm 55:2

Kristine
05-24-02, 02:29 AM
I don't know if someone has done this thread before (and I'm too lazy to go read back through all the ancient threads) but even if you have, it's something that can bear being repeated.

Just wondering what your favorite verse (or life verse) is, and why.

Kristine
05-24-02, 02:38 AM
My favorite verse is Isaiah 40:31 - "They that trust in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings as eagles. They will run and not grow weary they will walk and not be faint."

I love that verse because of the image of the soaring eagle. I don't know how many of you know this, but when most birds fly, they flap their wings up and down to keep flight. The eagle on the other hand simply leans on the wind current - it soars on the wind.

The imagery is so precise. When I am trusting in my own strength and not leaning on God, I'm like a bird franticly flapping my wings trying to stay up. It's no wonder I grow tired and weary. But if I'm trusting in God and leaning totally on Him to carry me through, I'm bound to find my strength renewed.

I keep a picture of an eagle in flight on my wall as a often needed reminder to quit flapping my own efforts, and to trust on God's providential wind.

Kristine

Nicole
05-24-02, 11:22 PM
hmm...I have a few :)

Philippians 1:20

For I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body whether by life or by death.

That's my life verse. I think it's pretty self-explanatory!

Also, I love Psalm 51 - I should be able to type it all out from memory because Cath and I memorized it a few weeks ago - but, umm..yeah - I'm gonna cheat and copy and paste

Have Mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love. According to your great compassion blot out my trangressions Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my trangresssions and my sin is always before me. Against you and you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. So that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful from birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the inner parts, you teach me wisdom in the inmost places. Wash me with hyssop and I will be clean, Wash me and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness. Let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sin and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart O, God. Cast me not away from your presence or take your holy spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. Then I shall teach transgressors your ways and sinners will turn back to you. Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me. Let my tounge declare your righteosness. Open my lips and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifices or I would bring it. You do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart, O God you will not despise. In your good pleasure, make Zion prosper and build up the walls of Jerusalem. Then there will be righteous sacrifices, whole burnt sacrifices to delight you. then bulls will be offered on your alter.

I just LOVE that passage. David wrote it right after he was approached by Nathan after the whole Bathsheba affair. It's just such an aweseome cry of repentance. It's been my prayer many a time when my sin brings me to my knees in front of my savior.

Breni Sue
05-24-02, 11:38 PM
Mod note: Merging this thread with the one started by Kristine! ;) ~Kyrie

Here is Scripture that I try to keep in mind when I'm at work and get stuck with a sucky job. :o

Philippians 2:14-16 Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.

Here is another one I discovered recently that I need constant reminding about, concerning our enemies failing: (I love Proverbs! :) )

Proverbs 24:17-18 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;
Lest the LORD see it, and it displease Him,
And He turn away His wrath from him.

Ashwee
05-25-02, 12:17 AM
KRISTINE! THAT IS MY FAVORITE VERSE! :redhotmad

I suppose we could share it though. :angel:

Isaiah 40:31- For those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount with wings like eagles, they shall run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not faint.

St_Tikhon
05-28-02, 12:27 PM
May the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O God, my rock and my redeemer.

Psalm 19:14

May my prayer be as incense before you.

Psalm 141:2

These two verses I say every morning as I light my candle and incense at my home prayer altar. As I pray these, I am reminded that my prayer is not just the words I say at that time, but my life as I live it. In my mind I see these two verses as combining to say "my life is a sacrifice, I hope you find it acceptable." Knowing that I will come to this place everyday helps me try and make it so.

Kristine
05-29-02, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Jedidiah
KRISTINE! THAT IS MY FAVORITE VERSE! :redhotmad

I suppose we could share it though. :angel:

Isaiah 40:31- For those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount with wings like eagles, they shall run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not faint.

lol :p sorry Jed, I didn't realize I took it out of the 'Gospel of Jedidiah' next time I will check the copyright on verses before stealing someone else's ;)

Ashwee
05-29-02, 10:56 PM
:stinkeye:

:biggrin: