PDA

View Full Version : What type of Christian Music?

Candice
07-12-01, 07:18 PM
What do you like?

I love all kinds of music but my favorite is praise and worship... I love just to sing and play to God...

ManInBlack
07-12-01, 11:47 PM
yes me too but the sound of country just will always have my heart.

Nampula
07-13-01, 12:33 AM
:excuse: and just why isn't tribal jpusa hippie worship an option, huh?

:p just kidding... i like ethnic worship, lately... at cornerstone i went to see madison greene, seeds, psalters, and all kinds of stuff like that... it was soo awesome... worship like i've never experienced...

i like everything, really... i didn't think i could count country in with that, but hey, i play the banjo, so i have to have some appreciation for it

FifthTrptSounded
07-13-01, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Nampula
:excuse: and just why isn't tribal jpusa hippie worship an option, huh?

Yeah! What Lindsey said!!! :confused:

Nampula
07-13-01, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by FifthTrptSounded

Yeah! What Lindsey said!!! :confused:

lol... silly board addicts, do you not know what jpusa is? *tsk tsk* you're missing out...

FifthTrptSounded
07-13-01, 02:15 PM
I'm about to once again admit my ignorance... oh well "God gives grace to the humble" ;)

nomatterwhat
07-13-01, 02:29 PM
JPUSA stands for Jesus People USA....

basically, it's a bunch of people living in a Christian commune in Chicago....it's a good thing, i promise....

www.jpusa.org

their record company is grrrrecords and they have a wide range of artists....like.....

seeds
headnoise
ballydowse
the blamed
the crossing

just so you know that my sister isn't making things up again....
:biggrin:

Laury
07-13-01, 05:08 PM
Oh My Flying Smuckers. I must say I DONT see Contemporary Christian or Pop as a choice... my heart is saddened and my spirit shot down so innocently. Linds is into reaaaaaally weird and scary stuff. like... umm... just weird stuff! lol... I also like pop punk. I like Blink 182. if I can find a Christian version of their pop punk style, I'd be in heaven dearies! *HUGS* God Bless and TTYL

FifthTrptSounded
07-13-01, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by nomatterwhat
just so you know that my sister isn't making things up again....
:biggrin:

Sure she isn't... :stinkeye: Don't think I don't see through her ploy!!! :p :p j/k

Anyways is this jpusa have any connection with the Jesus People's Movement in the 70's? I know a few people who were part of the movement.

Candice
07-13-01, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Toodles4JC
Oh My Flying Smuckers. I must say I DONT see Contemporary Christian or Pop as a choice... my heart is saddened and my spirit shot down so innocently. Linds is into reaaaaaally weird and scary stuff. like... umm... just weird stuff! lol... I also like pop punk. I like Blink 182. if I can find a Christian version of their pop punk style, I'd be in heaven dearies! *HUGS* God Bless and TTYL

Well your only allowed 10 choices for a poll they were both on MY list....

AgentPhyte003
07-14-01, 02:08 AM
The pole needs to have a select all that apply feature! My music taste is way beyond eclectic technically my favorite type of music is swing. But I also really like ska, pop punk, and rapcore a lot. I tend to like harder music, but that isn't always true because I think Cademon's call is really cool. I generally don't like rap. . .but that doesn't always hold because I think Soul junk and Mars ill are pretty cool (well techncially they are hip-hop but that is neither here nor there). Basically I like music that honors God! :)

Nampula
07-14-01, 02:10 AM

Sure she isn't... :stinkeye: Don't think I don't see through her ploy!!! :p :p j/k

Anyways is this jpusa have any connection with the Jesus People's Movement in the 70's? I know a few people who were part of the movement.

:stinkeye: you questioning my credibility? :p

yeah, actually... they were Jesus people who were called to minister to inner city chicago... in fact, JPUSA is the group who puts on cornerstone, so yay JPUSA, i love you!

princess leah
07-14-01, 12:34 PM

let's see... there's at least one that i know of. check out relient k. i think there's some others with a similar-ish sound but relient k's the one that sticks in my memory.

AgentPhyte003
07-15-01, 12:36 AM
I also like pop punk. I like Blink 182. if I can find a Christian version of their pop punk style, I'd be in heaven dearies! *HUGS* God Bless and TTYL

You might want to look into Reliant K which was already mentioned, Watishi Wa, Noggin Toboggin, Slick Shoes, and my personal favorite Philmore.

nomatterwhat
07-15-01, 01:18 AM

why, indeed it does! it's the remains of the movement that began in florida in a volkswagon bus (i read about this in the chicago tribune, so i know what im' talking about :rolleyes: seriously though...they are from that movement

nomatterwhat
07-15-01, 01:22 AM
I also like pop punk. I like Blink 182. if I can find a Christian version of their pop punk style, I'd be in heaven dearies! *HUGS* God Bless and TTYL

hehe...i'm so proud!!!

try....ace troubleshooter, craig's brother, the cootees, watashi wa (NOT old stuff, the newest), freeto boat, sick of change, noggin toboggan, slick shoes, shorthanded, fanmaill, hangnail....on and on and on.....you could check out compilation cds to find bunches....try any of the songs from the penalty box comps. or any bettie rocket comps

Nampula
07-15-01, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by AgentPhyte003
and my personal favorite Philmore.

since you're whitney's friend, i claim the right to taunt you :p

let's see, who stayed at my hotel the first night of cornerstone? let me think here... squad five-o, shorthanded, over the rhine, the jazz ensemble, and, *scratches head* oh yeah, philmore! ... hehe, we talked to their bass player by the vending machine... boy, was that a cornerstone memory i'll NEVER forget...

wow, i'm being really mean... :( i'm sorry...

i got to meet phiiiillmooooore

and talk to their bass player

and have a short conversation with the rest of the band

and say goodnight to them 3 times

Breni Sue
07-15-01, 08:05 PM
I LOVE the old traditional hymns we sing in church! My favorite has to be In The Garden, among many others. But aside from that, I also like Contemporary Christian music, Christian Rock & some country. No rap or alternative though. I don't care how much they praise God, just hearing that stuff makes me nervous! :eek:

Cheri de Mort
07-16-01, 12:31 PM
Kyrie Eleison? Is this the same Ky from the Rackets and Drapes Message Board????

butterfly
07-17-01, 03:43 AM
Well, I love all types of Christian music, but I REALLY love ska! My favourite Christian band is the The Supertones. Even my sister (who isn't Christian) says they're a good band. Is that cool or what?
PS. If anyone knows of any Jazz/funk Christian bands, please let me know! :)

Nampula
07-18-01, 01:28 PM
:( i tried to find a jazz band for ya... there was one at cornerstone-- it was awesome.... i tried audiogalaxy just to see if *maybe* it was there, but it's not... it'll probably be there later in the year-- i'll keep checking for ya... if you like bluesy stuff, check out some glen kaiser....

nomatterwhat
07-19-01, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by butterfly
PS. If anyone knows of any Jazz/funk Christian bands, please let me know! :)

you might want to check out the band blackball....they broke up, but their CD hope is really good...bluesy and funky....:D

butterfly
07-20-01, 03:50 AM
*makes a note* Thanks! :)

Laury
07-21-01, 04:40 PM
Awww Winnie.

Dear thank you so so so much. I appreciate it. I am trying to download it on LimeWire. Again, thanks. your awesome

*hugs to linds and winnie*

Lauren

CGC
07-26-01, 05:15 PM
Kyrie Eleison.....Travis is that you? is that my Trav....hmm I hope so

I Love Hardcore...which I am depressed that that was not a choice I mean come on hardcore is so a big thing now adays. Anyway East West is my favorite anyone else like them?

Goth Rock Star Out...

Amber

cybersaint
07-27-01, 12:49 PM
i like DC talk esp. CONSUME ME.
:cool:

Kwan Yu
07-29-01, 04:59 AM
I chose other, because I like classical music the best. Especially for Christianmusic. Gregorian Chants, Allegri's Miserere, Palestrina, Requiem by Mozart and Brahm's German Requiem.

Andthat's just the tip of the iceberg.

For other types, I would say Jaci Velasquez is my favorite performer.

crossrhythm
07-29-01, 11:42 PM
I'm with MIB in that I like country best, but it's hard to find Christian country that isn't one of those quartets, most of whom I find rather boring, so I mostly stick to secular country. As far as my favorite kind of Christian music, I really like the music of people like Fred Hammond, whose music is sort of a mix between black gospel, R & B, and funk. I usually like their live albums better, because then they have a band, as opposed to mostly keyboards and synthesizers. I also really like Ralph Karmichael, who is, so far as I know, the only Christian artist who performs jazz big band. It's great stuff.

Cheri de Mort
07-30-01, 10:39 AM
That isn't our Kyrie from R&D. *pouts*

AgentPhyte003
07-30-01, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by crossrhythm
I'm with MIB in that I like country best, but it's hard to find Christian country that isn't one of those quartets, most of whom I find rather boring, so I mostly stick to secular country. .

Have you ever heard of the Lost Dogs? They have a country music sound.

Pelvidar
07-30-01, 02:16 PM
I love The Lost Dogs

RIP: Gene Eugene

crossrhythm
07-30-01, 04:02 PM
I've never heard of them. I'll have to check them out.

~Leigh Annie~
09-01-01, 09:41 PM
I like DC Talk, Delirous.... lots of Praise & Worship also, and contemporary, and rock and pop... most anything.,

OneGirlArmy
09-05-01, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Pelvidar
I love The Lost Dogs

RIP: Gene Eugene
Amen.....what a great guy.

Ashwee
05-30-02, 07:09 PM
Rock.... P&W.... Rock.... P&W....

P&W... even though I LOVE rock... I just get more from praise and worship...

mystvh
06-02-02, 11:22 AM
It all depends on what mood I'm in :-) I love singin and playin great worship music (Third Day, Jennifer Knapp) and sometimes i just love goin wild with some harder stuff!

Laury
06-02-02, 01:54 PM
my my... how my musical tastes have varied since posting in this thread months & months ago.

the whole pop obsession? out the window. grew out of that one ;)

but man, the "pop punk" hasn't left me, though. my current obsession is that of relient k, five iron frenzy, ginny owens, david crowder (credibility goes to linds), 100 portraits, the ataris, less than jake, further seems forever, element 101 & so on & so on.

~Leopard~
06-02-02, 05:39 PM
me likes rock a bunch! old or new! um....like some country...some pop...not much tho'

Ashwee
06-04-02, 01:32 AM
Ya know, Ive never heard a Christian country song... hm....

Kittycat
06-04-02, 11:49 AM
But there are Christian Counry Music Artists
Toby Keith
Martina McBride
maybe Kenny Chesney and Garth Brooks...oh shoot I had a whole list of em. crumb but trust me there are!

Ashwee
06-04-02, 03:18 PM
I live in the town Garth Brooks grew up in... I live like within 15 minute walking distance of the house too... :biggrin:

diWarLord
06-09-02, 11:13 PM
There's Christian Reggae?

Ashwee
06-14-02, 12:58 AM
Yea... theres a song at the beginning of the blue disc of Wow Worship 2001.. its by POD... something about Zion... i think. I dunno, i cant remember the name.

Kittycat
07-13-02, 04:29 PM
from which POD Cd Ash??

dorfsmith
07-18-02, 05:03 PM
You are the first people on any message board I've ever been at that like or even know who the Lost Dogs are. They are the greatest Christian country band around--they are so cool!!!

Gene was one of the best artists and producers of all time. I sure miss him. Anybody listen to his other band Adam Again? Or his work with Terry Taylor in the Swirling Eddies???

Do you have the new Lost Dogs stuff without Gene? It's still brilliant. Terry S. Taylor is a genious!!! Terry did a pure country CD called Avocado Faultline. You can get it at danielamos.com and I think you can get lost dogs stuff there too. radrockers also has those CD's.

Here's some other great Christian country CD's:

Mark Heard--High Noon (Country Artists Best Of CD)

Daniel Amos--Shotgun Angel (Old Daniel Amos Re-released on Cd mixes The Eagles rock with California country. Awesome CD!)

All the Lost Dogs CD's which are as follows:
Scenic Routes
Little Red Riding Hood
The Green Room Serenade
The Best Of The Lost Dogs
Gift Horse
Real Men Cry
And A new CD coming out next year!!!

You might also want to check out Daniel Amos new CD called Mr. Buchner's Dream. A lot of country rock on that one too.

And like I said be sure to check out Terry Scott Taylor Avocado Faultline!!!

You can find that at danielamos.com and radrockers.com so go there and order them right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nampula
07-25-02, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by diWarLord
There's Christian Reggae?

CHRISTAFARI. they're amazing. LOVE THEM!

Laury
07-26-02, 12:39 AM
mmmhmmm!! christafari=great stuff.

coolhandluke
07-26-02, 06:34 PM
other.

my favorite style would probably be emo-based music. that's a very broadly used term though, so it's a bad term to use. i'm also a big fan of folk-ish music. i like a lot of stuff though. ta ta.

-katie

cocaricachic
08-07-02, 04:23 PM
I LOVE ANYTHING WITH MICHAEL W SMITH!!!!!!!

Lindz
08-27-02, 02:53 PM
Some bands i like and music styles iam into are: punk (mxpx) pop punk (relient k) emo (cool hand luke) and hardcore(zao, normajean, underoath.) I also like Five Iron Frenzy and i love worship music- david crowder and passion rock my world. I like a pretty large variety of music except i greatly dislike country (sorry MIB and othe contry lovers :biggrin: ) and i don't like rap or pop.

kutless
08-27-02, 07:32 PM
i like Christian rock and alternative mostly, i like a couple praise and worship type songs but i dont like listening to "slower" songs, i like more upbeat styles...

dorfsmith
08-27-02, 07:43 PM
Has anybody checked out Daniel Amos??? www.danielamos.com :cool: :cool: :cool:

Gzusfreq
08-29-02, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kutless
[B]i like Christian rock and alternative mostly..

ditto.

dorfsmith
08-29-02, 06:55 PM
Daniel Amos is alternative rock.

Gzusfreq
08-29-02, 07:10 PM
I'll have to check out some of his stuff.

JessLynn
09-05-02, 01:17 PM
Ohhh I know I'm late but I had to throw my 2 cents in haha I really like the older Jars of Clay stuff, and Smalltownpoets, Everybodyduck, DC Talk, stuff I grew up in Jr. High jammin to on van trips haha
Now I really like Praise and Worship stuff and Rap. Has anyone else ever heard the Lifehouse song Everything? It is amazing! We sang it at the camp I counseled this summer, just the chorus, it goes "How can I stand here with you, and not be moved by you? Can you tell me how can it be any better than this? Your all I want, your all I need, your everything, everything . ." etc. It's awesome, and for rap I like Cross Movement and John Reuben.
In Christ,
Jess

Tyrantasourus
09-09-02, 01:45 PM
And u thought it would have to be very old to suit me. Ha

Cheri
09-15-02, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Laury

AMEN SISTAH GURL!!!

Phantom Tuba
10-19-02, 09:35 PM
i like christian rock and alternative too, but since i had to pick one, i picked punk :2cool: :bomb: :stinkeye: