PDA

View Full Version : How much...

Flannel Avenger
04-30-02, 08:44 PM
I was thinking that there are more aspects to Christian Fellowship than just discussing God, silliness and just talking are also types of Fellowship. So, with that in mind, I give you my poll!

Kittycat
04-30-02, 09:02 PM
:rolleyes:
Only you would ask a poll referring to wood......:angel:

Nicole
04-30-02, 09:03 PM
hehe - my favorite tounge twister was always:

"Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, how many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?"

Ann
04-30-02, 10:15 PM
I would think this question needs to be chucked out.

Flannel Avenger
04-30-02, 10:57 PM
I was hoping to get some CHUKling :angel: :D

The Wood Products Major strikes again! BWA HAHAHAHA!

trixiepup
04-30-02, 11:09 PM
the answer to the question would depend upon the motivation of said woodchuck. if demand for wood was high, and this was a good, little, capitalist woodchuck that was operating in a monopoly, oligopoly, or kinked demand curve situation, then the woodchuck would definitely chuck a lot of wood.

however, if the woodchuck were unlucky enough to be placed in a competitive equilibrium or bertrand type model of competition, then there would be very little incentive to chuck a lot of wood because the price would be very close to the marginal cost of producing the wood.

in the latter situation, the woodchuck would be best advised to differentiate its wood so that it might command a higher price on the woodchuck wood market.

but of course, this economic analysis leaves out one really important facet of the woodchuck's motives: does the woodchuck actually like to chuck wood?

if the woodchuck receives personal fullfillment from chucking wood, then it is natural that the woodchuck would chuck a lot of wood. however, if the woodchuck hates chucking wood, and only does it because people recite a silly poem...well, then the woodchuck would be on it's way to california to vacation away from all the people forcing woodchuck conformity on him or her.

yeah, i'm a dork.

Flannel Avenger
04-30-02, 11:19 PM
ooh! Good answer.

Ashwee
05-01-02, 12:30 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

You crack me up Trixie!!!

Did you think that up or did you get that off of a website?

trixiepup
05-01-02, 01:05 AM
i'm an econ major. it's what i breathe.

Multimom
05-01-02, 09:09 AM
Trixie:

From your answer, I figured you to either be an Economist or an economics major. Excellent analysis.

Now for my position,

I think how much wood could be chucked would be in porportion to the financial need of the woodchuck. If he were an honest woodchuck and saw the need to provide for his baby woodchucks, then his motivation might be quite high, which would in turn increase his out put, whether or not the market value was high or low.

Also would the financial needs of Mr. and Mrs. Woodchuch, outweigh the cost of producing the wood if there were any profit at all. If the wood chucking business provided a modest living, it is highly likely that the wood chuck might continue to chuck wood even beyond that which the market would absolutely demand in hopes that the need would increase.:biggrin:

All in all -- who knows, who cares??

Barney
05-01-02, 09:45 AM
economy....trends....market....

erm....would....throw....wood....

a lot!?

:p

Flannel Avenger
05-01-02, 11:32 AM
I think we should attempt to quanity the amount of wood the woodchuck would chuck in terms of board feet.

Ann
05-01-02, 12:33 PM
My roommate and I had a baby woodchuck when I was in college. Her name was toothy.

Flannel Avenger
05-01-02, 12:41 PM
OOH! First hand woodchuck experience. Did you ever observe said woodchuck chucking wood, and if so, did it appear to take the current state of affairs in the economy into account in the rate of its chucking?

Nicole
05-01-02, 02:44 PM
:rofl:

ya'll crack me up!

Ann
05-02-02, 12:44 AM
Toothy chucked wood. She also chucked wire screening and would have chucked the cat if the cat were not able to leap tall commodes in a single bound. Hence her appalation "Toothchuck" As a baby she was very sweet and got very tame. My roommate's father rescued her from someone who was going to drown her. We fed her from a baby bottle. Unfortunately when she was older we left her for my mom to feed for several days and mom was afraid and just tossed in food and water and never held or petted her and in just those few days her attitude to humans changed and she took to really chucking whoever and whatever. Her chucking abilities made her a talented escape artist.

To fully appreciate this you have to know we were renting a house built in about 1750 on a New England farm. When indoor plumbing came into vogue for lack of a better place the bathroom was created from a room that had connected house and barn. It was a good size room and had the only door that had a knob rather than a latch so in that room along with the bathtub and all the usual attributes we had floor to shoulder cages Toothy on the bottom, the chipmunks that we rescued from Lucy next, gerbils next, then hamsters, then the birds. This kept Lucy and the dogs from any unauthhorized indoor hunting.

I was in that room the day I discovered Toothy had mastered the art of escape. I noticed her about 3" short of chucking my left leg and made a great scientific discovery. A toilet plunger applied firmly to the back end will lift and hold a grown Toothchuck. She never quite forgave me.

In the next few weeks I learned first hand that a woodchuck can and will chuick through 2x4's, metal rods, and do a fair job on the iron feet of an antique bath tub. Brick and ciinder block seemed chuckproof and her new abode was made of cinder blocks with bricks wedged in the openings. I would have turned her loose but our neighbors shot woodchucks as a varmit and Toothy thought of humans as a source of food and company and would have walked right up to them.

Breni Sue
05-03-02, 01:04 AM
Scary...this thread went from silliness to actually being educational and informative! This is better than the Discovery Channel! :rofl:

Soooo... whatever happened to Toothy? :)

Ashwee
05-03-02, 04:56 PM
o yes, do tell!!!

St_Tikhon
05-06-02, 01:08 PM
Interesting thoughts on economics. However, the question revolves around the word "if." I don't see this as an economic question at all, but rather one of personality.

By the word "if," we assume that the woodchuck cannot chuck any wood. Now the question to be asked is "why." Is it that the said woodchuck is unable due to some physical limitations or is it being held back from it's full potential by some outside force?
We assume, that if able, that it would chuck all the wood a woodchuck could. So why is it not reaching it's fullest potential? Why, it could be anything. Depression brought on by a lack of sleep worrying about wood chucking production quotas. A poor diet may also bring on a lack of motivation (fiber not withstanding). Or it may just be a sin issue.

I think we need to pray for this poor woodchuck and whatever it's circumstances. I would go to it myself, but I don't want to make it feel uncomfortable. However, if any of you know any details regarding it's situation, please feel free to share them with me so I might pray more intelligently.

Flannel Avenger
05-06-02, 01:37 PM
Another fine answer. Surely we are getting close to solving this ancient riddle!

Tricia
05-06-02, 06:31 PM
uhhhhh...... I voted for a little. :what:

Kristine
05-06-02, 06:35 PM
I can't believe how much response this silly post has gotten!

Oh well, if you can't beat em, might as well join em.

Another factor you forgot is whether or not he was dealing with preasure treated wood. Most preasure treated wood (up until December 2003 when they'll stop making it) contains high dosage of arsenic (just do a search for arsenic and wood and you'll find tons on this and how to seal your CCA decks, picnic tables and fences to prevent leaching out of the wood onto skin and food.)

So if the woodchuck was chucking arsenic ladden wood, he wouldn't get very far and would likely die of skin, lung, bladder or prostate cancer before his prime.

Kristine

Nicole
05-06-02, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Kristine
I can't believe how much response this silly post has gotten!

well..the people around here are rather strange - I mean - we have an entire forum that is devoted to nothing but wackiness! :D

whoever said being a Christian couldn't be fun? :D :biggrin:

Flannel Avenger
05-06-02, 07:34 PM
*is sooooo tempted to enter into a lecture on CCA*

Kristine
05-06-02, 08:06 PM
originally posted by Flannel Avenger
*is sooooo tempted to enter into a lecture on CCA*

Go for it. I'm so mad that they've known how harmful arsenic is for years, and they're still putting it out into the public.

I put a carpet to air out on our deck and left it there through rain and slow and slush til it dried out again, over several months before bringing it back in. Now I've learned the deck was made of CCA wood and hasn't been sealed in years. I'm so worried that the arsenic would have leached into the carpet (it leaches best when the wood gets wet and the carpet would have acted like a sponge) and that we're now kicking it up into the air and throughout the house each time we walk on it. (but I'm scared of removing it for fear of disturbing even more dust. I moved and vaccuumed it the other day and my throat has been irritated since then.

Everywhere you look there are woodden fences and decks, unsealed, with that ugly greenish grey tinge, releasing their toxins everywhere. I always loved seeing wood structures since wood is natural - so I thought. CCA wood isn't wood anymore. It last so long because it's saturated with a toxic metal. No wonder it keeps away bugs! Do we think that something toxic to something their size won't affect our health at all?

One site I found yesturday said that kids who grew up playing on a a CCA structure have a 1 in 500 chance of getting cancer as a result of this exposure to arsenic. There is enough topical arsenic leachind out of CCA wood that the surface the size of a four year old's hands contains 120 times the allowable arsenic in a 6 oz glass of water!

Anyhow we're way off the poor little woodchuck now, but I just felt the need to vent. What a stupid careless toxic world we live in. Why does it take them so long to be rid of toxic substances? (Like lead: they knew it was harmful in the early 1900's - it wasn't outlawed in paint until the late 1970's and some imports of window blinds still come in with lead-based gloss.) GRRR!

Flannel Avenger
05-06-02, 08:28 PM
The problem is that a lot of other options for treating wood have been banned, not neccisarily because of toxicity, but because they are petroleum based. And the Federal Government does set standards for leeching before any company is allowed to manufacture the treated wood.

People tend to overreact to things relating to wood because the Wood industy doesn't have the kind of good PR departments that some other industries have.

For example, a few years ago (before my time) Formaldehyde emissions were a big deal. People were all upset over the use of Formaldehyde in plywood, however, they didn't give that same kind of bad press to the textile people, who use formaldehyde in permanent press clothes.

Multimom
05-06-02, 10:27 PM
Years ago when I was a kid, my mom stopped buying 'white' bread because they use arsenic to bleach flour.

I don't buy white bread either. I don't eat white bread products such as rolls and bagles etc.

Only whole grains for me.
;)

Codger
05-20-02, 04:18 PM
Dear Flannel,

I don't think woodchucks chuck wood anymore. Not since the Woodchucks Union was sued by the Tree Huggers Association - I heard they went bankrupt. Also the Woodchucks were sued by OSHA for violating the clean air act, after all - if they hadn't chucked the wood in the first place - the homeowners would not have burned it in their fireplaces. Woodchuck dental insurance has been increasing at about 20% per year - and now it has gotten so high that they can't afford it anymore. Not to mention their Workers Comp rates which have also gone out of sight because of the high incidence of falling trees and branches.

Kind of reminds me of the steel industry here in NE Ohio.

Larry

Flannel Avenger
05-21-02, 12:03 AM
Another fine answer.

Of course, the competition from overseas (primarily China) is really killing the domestic wood industry anyway. Only Chinese woodchucks get to work these days, since the Chinese don't care about OSHA or insurance.

Ann
05-21-02, 04:11 PM
You both missed the EPA memo which has the force of law. Memo M009785y908231o11437b6524311190875wc clearly states that wood chucks may chuch when where and how they wish and no interference may be made with said chucking.

Section 897 paragraph 14 also states specifically that no interference shall be made with woodchucks chucking on residential or commercial property up to and including supporting timbers of home structures and commercial buildings.

Section 5793 paragraph 65430011 states that trees may not be cut in any woodchuck habitat and anyone removing same shall have his property confiscated and given to the nearest woodchuck.

PS be sure and ask Gracie how she likes the beach mice.

Tricia
05-25-02, 08:31 PM
Dear Flannel,

I hate wood.

Love,
Tricia

:devil:

Ann
05-26-02, 12:07 AM
but are u a woodchuck?

Tricia
05-26-02, 01:26 PM
no, I just thought it might tick him off being 'Mr. Wood' and all. :biggrin:

Flannel Avenger
05-26-02, 02:35 PM
In that case you must forsake everything made out of wood. Including MDF and laminates. Have fun sitting on a rock and trying to type with your computer on the floor of your cave. At least you won't need a printer, paper is made out of wood...

Tricia
05-26-02, 06:42 PM
I never said I wouldn't use wood..... :devil:

Flannel Avenger
05-26-02, 10:16 PM
That's just EVIL!!

Kittycat
05-27-02, 01:20 PM
BONFIRE!!!

hehehehehehe :devil:

i prefer the metal look myself. the new age deco weird shapes outa metal that is actually a lamp type stuff:angel:

Tricia
05-27-02, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Flannel Avenger
That's just EVIL!!

by whose definition? :p

Flannel Avenger
05-27-02, 10:42 PM
MINE!!!

Kittycat
05-28-02, 12:15 PM
poor flannel

he now thinks he is noah webster........:umm:

Tricia
05-28-02, 05:57 PM
MINE!!!

you've just made my point. :p

Kittycat
05-28-02, 10:59 PM
he must be delusional

Flannel Avenger
05-28-02, 10:59 PM
The only point you have is the one on your head.

Kittycat
05-28-02, 11:01 PM
OUCH!!

*cough- could-use-older-ppls-input-in-the-what-do-you-guys-think-thread-cough*

Tricia
05-28-02, 11:04 PM
The only point you have is the one on your head.

that's cold. There's one way to beat you. :devil:

Ann
06-14-02, 04:02 AM
I just had to post this

Caption under picture of overturned logging truck
"How much wood can a wood truck chuck?"

As reported in Reader's Digest.

Flannel Avenger
06-14-02, 02:36 PM
LOL

Ashwee
06-14-02, 08:17 PM
lol too cute

Kittycat
06-14-02, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Tricia

that's cold. There's one way to beat you. :devil:

BONFIRE you know to WARM up!!

Ashwee
06-14-02, 08:36 PM
:p

Kittycat
06-16-02, 01:56 PM
:biggrin:
:what:

WHAT?!?! I though it was funny.

Susan
05-29-05, 04:55 PM
Here lies a post-something-or-other salute to our dear departed Flannel. May the sawdust never choke him, and the splinters never be implanted beneath his fingernails. May he nail the wood, and not his thumbnail, and may the termites be ever far from him.

Ann
05-29-05, 11:49 PM
moths too since he is a fabric creature.

be far from him that is.

IDS
05-30-05, 01:34 AM
Flannel Avenger,

Enquiring (woodchuck) minds want to know...

How much flannel can a flannel wearer wear if a flannel wearer wears flannel?

Does it matter where a flannel wearer wears his flannel or can a flannel wearer wear flannel wherever a flannel wearer wants?

.....peace.....

lap7
05-30-05, 09:22 PM
I thought woodchucks could chuck wood.

I had a friend when I was little whose name was Chuck. I don't he ever "chucked" anything.

His nose would bleed if you hit him in it hard enough, I know I did it once. HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

Cheri
05-30-05, 09:50 PM
I needed this laugh. Thank you.

Fey
05-30-05, 09:58 PM
well, if a woodchuck could chuck wood, then he would probablyhave to chuck wood to survive, just like a beaver does it to trim his teeth and make a home and whatnot.