PDA

View Full Version : Read and tell me what you think of this!

angel_Eyes74
04-23-02, 09:44 AM
I'm not totally sure where to post this, so if it's in the
wrong section, I'm sorry for putting it in this one!
But I found this on another MB and I thought that I would
put this here to see what all of you think of this!
the fate of kidnapped Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl is
an example of how safety issues may override privacy concerns"......... "The
problem could be solved, he said, if "people were required to be chipped or
had some combination of a device requiring them to be scanned and monitored
at all times.''.......
Experts predict that if trackable chip implants become widely available,
there will be a long line of military personnel, diplomats, corporate
executives, foreign correspondents and celebrities waiting to ``get
chipped.''.........
This month, Brazilian government official Antonio de Cunha Lima, the first
distributor of the VeriChip in Brazil, will be implanted with the
chip."............
Even famous curmudgeon Andy Rooney is pro-chip. ''We need some system for
permanently identifying safe people,'' Rooney said in a 60 Minutes
commentary on CBS. "Most of us are never going to blow anything up, and
there's got to be something better than one of [those] photo IDs -- a tattoo
somewhere, maybe. I wouldn't mind having something planted permanently in my
arm that would identify me.''.........

I was just wondering what everyone thought of this?
God Bless,
angel_Eyes74

Flannel Avenger
04-23-02, 12:24 PM
I think it's a bad idea. I think it would be a horrendous invasion of privacy and I am opposed to the government having the ability to track me wherever I go, even though they can pretty much do that to me already.

As far as it relates to the end times, it could be this type of technology that allows the "Mark of the Beast" to function, so it could be releted, but I am pretty sure that somebody who were to be "chipped" would not be considered taking the mark of the beast.

(Shut up Jason :p LOL. Just getting my jab in before you respond)

Ann
04-23-02, 06:58 PM
I very much agree with you, FA. Not a good thing. I know it is done with show dogs and some others but doing this w/ people seems a very bad thing.

Multimom
04-23-02, 10:27 PM
While I don't think we should be "chipped", I do think that those who travel abroad especially in enemy foreign countries should have some sort of tracking divice in or on their person. Military personnel deployed into enemy regions should also probably be chipped.

This could be maybe a criterion for traveling into enemy or anti-amercian countries. Think of the number of MIA's who wouldn't be MIA if they had been microchipped. This was one civilian life that could have been saved if he had been required to wear some sort of tracking divice.

Just a thought.

selah
04-24-02, 12:09 AM
Multimom,

I see your point; however I would say that in the case of travellers or armed forces, being "chipped" should be a matter of personal choice rather than forced. Some people may have serious objections to such a system, and I think they should be given the opportunity to decline even if it means risking their life. Our lives and our person do belong to us and I think it would be unfortunate if a system like this became mandatory in any circumstance.

If the requirment was simply to wear a tracking device such as an ankle band, that doesn't quite seem as severe. But in my opinion even that is a bit too "big brotheresque" so I think it would still be best as an option.

butterfly
04-24-02, 12:36 AM
I don't know, it reminds me a little bit of the story Ann once told us about the camel and the tent (can't remember how it goes though, so nevermind.) Yes, it "seems" reasonable for the millitary to use it, but if we give just that little bit, then it's a lot easier to get to the next step, and the next step and the next step until finally everyone's wondering how they let it get that far. I know it sounds paranoid but....the whole thing just gives me a really bad feeling.

Breni Sue
04-24-02, 01:34 AM
It's the perfect set-up. Folks are naturally worried about their safety in these days since 9-11, and most will jump at the chance to give them peace of mind. "It's for your own good", they say. "It's more convenient", they say. Well, I recall the same things being said about credit cards. And look, folks everywhere are swimming in debt trying to pay off bills that will likely take them the rest of their lives to get rid of. They are pushing and pushing for us to become a cashless society using the same arguments. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of someone else having control of my money. Same goes for the chip deal. I don't like the idea of someone knowing where I'm at 24/7. Not that I have anything to hide mind you, it's just the principle of the thing. If I want to dance around the house and sing to my cats, that's none of their business! :p It may sound like a good idea to start, but IMO there is just way too much potential for the system to be abused. As Butterfly stated, one step will lead to the next. And before you know it, you have the government watching and controlling every little aspect of your life. Stores are already able to keep track of people's purchases by issuing those little grocery cards that are suposed to save you money when you shop. Again, it's all about "convenience". But there will be a price - our privacy.

I can see it tying into the End Times as well. The book of Revelation states that people will not be able to buy or sell without "the mark". We have the technology right now to make that possible. Chipping someone for tracking purposes could just be the next step towards that "cashless society" the government keeps dreaming about.

I dunno. I just don't see anything good coming out of this "human-tracking". Just let them try to implant a chip or tattoo me! :stinkeye: ;)

Amy, you said you got this from another message board. Do you happen to know where it originated? A news site, maybe? Just curious.

Alright, I'll stop my doomsday/conspiracy theory ramblings now! ;)

Orpheus42
04-24-02, 06:15 PM
Excepting that I don't see the mark of the beast in Revelation 13 as being a literal portend of anything involving the "end times" (Flannel never responded to my exegesis on the subject, and yet for some reason he keeps ragging me for never answering him in the Teen Scene :p:p:p;)), I agree with Flannel's assessment- EXTREME violation of personal privacy.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

ps. Ever seen Will Smith's movie Enemy of the State?

Orpheus42
04-24-02, 06:54 PM
And I didn't mean for that to be as confrontational as it might look to some people...

selah
04-24-02, 07:03 PM
I have been thinking over this a bit more since I posted earlier. I think that what excited me most about Multimom's post is the ability to know where those who have gone MIA are and be able to retrieve them. Although it seems a lot less invasive to try to discover some technology that a person could carry with them and if they got lost, could turn it on so that they could be tracked and then found. I agree with those who have said that having a tracking device which is constantly turned on--in any circumstance--would be an extreme violation of privacy.

Flannel Avenger
04-24-02, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Orpheus42
Excepting that I don't see the mark of the beast in Revelation 13 as being a literal portend of anything involving the "end times" (Flannel never responded to my exegesis on the subject, and yet for some reason he keeps ragging me for never answering him in the Teen Scene :p:p:p;)), I agree with Flannel's assessment- EXTREME violation of personal privacy.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

ps. Ever seen Will Smith's movie Enemy of the State?

You mean your mark of the beast thing? I read it, but it doesn't relate to your overall view of the end time like I was anticipating.

Breni Sue
04-25-02, 01:05 AM
Ever seen Will Smith's movie Enemy of the State? Yes!! And who's to say they wouldn't try to do something like that in real life? :umm:

Heh, look at me, Ms. Paranoid speaking again! :D

angel_Eyes74
04-25-02, 09:18 AM
Ok Bren & Orpheus42 ,

Ever seen Will Smith's movie Enemy of the State?

I haven't seen it and now you really have me curious, lol. What is it about it? Could someone please exlain this one to me?:p :blush:
Thanks!
God Bless,
angel_Eyes74 :biggrin:

Flannel Avenger
04-25-02, 01:06 PM
I only saw part of it.

But I was already paranoid, so it doesn't make any difference. I don't trust the government.

Just think of the sheer number of things they do that violate the tenth amendment.

Breni Sue
04-25-02, 01:09 PM
In a nutshell, it all starts with a bill in congress that would allow the "powers-that-be" to use advanced electronic surveillance on people without their permission. Will Smith's character ends up being framed for murder by a corrupt official, loses his job, credit cards, wife thinks he is cheating on her, etc... And they are able to track his every move by bugging different articles of clothing without him even knowing it. A good movie for conspiracy theorists. ;)

Flannel Avenger
04-25-02, 01:13 PM
Somebody is probably archiving everything we say.

One day somebody is going to come knocking on my door claiming they've cracked the code and want me to give up the Tyrant.

angel_Eyes74
04-25-02, 01:20 PM
Thanks for letting me know, now I am getting paranoid thinking that they probably are going to start doing things like that!:eek:
That is so scary, with the way that stores have so many camera's in them and track your every move and now this, it's really getting scary!:wah:
Now I'll probably be walking around looking over my shoulder everywhere I go! This government :redhotmad oh they get me mad! They are totally taking advantage of everyone's fears and that's not fair at all!
Well, thanks again for the info!
God Bless,
angel_Eyes74

Nicole
04-25-02, 01:24 PM
you people crack me up!

Breni Sue
04-25-02, 01:33 PM
Somebody is probably archiving everything we say. Pel used to archive his discussions in ODD for reference purposes....or so he claimed. :stinkeye:

(Off-topic) Hey Amy, check it out! You're finally a "member"! :D

Flannel Avenger
04-25-02, 01:34 PM
Pel is from Canada, the Canadian government is even more meddlesome than ours.

When I run for President, I shall campaign on enforcement of the Tenth Amendment and Repeal of the 16th Amendment!

angel_Eyes74
04-25-02, 02:26 PM
(Off-topic) Hey Amy, check it out! You're finally a "member"!
Thanks Bren for letting me know that, I wouldn't have realized it if you hadn't said anything! :rofl: I know that this means that I have no life, but this is SOOO EXCITING being a member of the ILJ boards!:biggrin:
I must say that this is the coolest BB or anything to be a member of!:biggrin:
I love you guys!
you people crack me up!
I know what you mean heavenlyprincess, it does look too funny, :rofl: but if you think about it, it is kinda scary, don't you agree?
Take care and God Bless,
angel_Eyes74

Orpheus42
04-25-02, 04:25 PM
Actually, it totally does. Read the beginning, where I talk about the overall structure of Revelation, and then the bit about where I talk about how it has nothing to do with a literal future event.

And Enemy of the State is a GREAT conspiracy theory movie. I also really like Conspiracy Theory, though I think EotS is more plausibly believable :eek:

Originally posted by Flannel Avenger

You mean your mark of the beast thing? I read it, but it doesn't relate to your overall view of the end time like I was anticipating.

Nicole
04-25-02, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by angel_Eyes74

I know what you mean heavenlyprincess, it does look too funny, :rofl: but if you think about it, it is kinda scary, don't you agree?

:D

little scary - not too much - whatever happens - ain't no one pushing God out of the picture - He's still in control :)

Flannel Avenger
04-25-02, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Orpheus42
Actually, it totally does. Read the beginning, where I talk about the overall structure of Revelation, and then the bit about where I talk about how it has nothing to do with a literal future event.

Umm, that doesn't tell me anything I don't already know. I'm looking for a more in depth explanation that you have repeatedly claimed you are too busy to post.

Breni Sue
04-26-02, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by angel_Eyes74

I know that this means that I have no life, but this is SOOO EXCITING being a member of the ILJ boards!:biggrin:You should check out Vinnie's (ilgwamh) post count then! ;) And what is this "life" that you speak of? :p
I must say that this is the coolest BB or anything to be a member of!:biggrin:
I love you guys!
Aww! *grouphug* :love:

Nicole:little scary - not too much - whatever happens - ain't no one pushing God out of the picture - He's still in control I don't think we Christians have anything to worry about, we've read the last chapter! ;)

Orpheus42
04-26-02, 10:20 AM
I need you to ask me questions so I have an excuse to post it ;) And my view of the overall structure is wholly incompatible with a chronological reading, on which the premillenial dispensationalist viewpoint depends.

SweetM
05-04-02, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Kyrie Eleison
Pel used to archive his discussions in ODD for reference purposes....or so he claimed. :stinkeye:

You think Pel's working for the government? :p He's Canadian, isn't he? Don't tell me we have to worry about them too!