PDA

View Full Version : Set your heart on the Lord

Nicole
04-13-02, 10:17 AM
I was looking for a verse the other day using an online study Bible - and while I was looking - I just saw this one on the screen.

2 Chronicles 12:14

"He did evil because he had not set his heart on seeking the Lord."

I just kind of looked at it, and said, "wow, there's the short definition of sin!"

The verse is talking about King Rehoboam

He didn't do evil because he was selfish, or because he wanted power, or he was greedy, or whatever. He did evil because he wasn't following the Lord. Those things may have come out of not following the Lord, but the base was simply that he wasn't seeking God's direction.

I think so many times I get caught up in a mentality of "ok - I can't do this, and I really shouldn't do this and I need to change this and improve on this" and it just becomes the long list of things that I need to work on that gets slightly overwhelming. When, in reality, I need to just set my heart on seeking the Lord. If my heart is seeking Him, then all the sin and problems in my life will be readily apparent because they don't match up with His plan.

thoughts?

St_Tikhon
04-14-02, 12:50 AM
Scripture is full of such sayings.

This very idea is played out with Peter and Jesus on the water. When Peter took his eyes off Jesus, he got into trouble.

Peace

Ann
04-14-02, 06:36 PM
Something we sang in worship today and this will be a paraphrase let all that I do be done to please You Lord

Made me think....how much of what I do is to please Him? How much is to please me? How much to please others? How much do I do just kind of out of habit without any intent of pleasing anyone?

I came to the conclusion I need to work more on that first one.