PDA

View Full Version : This place is different

St_Tikhon
04-12-02, 03:24 PM
Being new here, I want to say "thank you" for the nice reception I've received here. I've been on other boards that were not so nice. Once people find out I'm Orthodox, they started calling me names, diss-ing Orthodoxy in general and were overall not very nice. (kind of made me wonder what they thought good fruit looked like)

But here, I've said what I have to say and no one has gone off on me, thank you.

I come to these boards for a number of reasons:

1. It allows me to get feedback.
2. It gives me a chance to give a point of view that, if you all are like me, you haven't heard before. (I didnt even know Orthodoxy existed for over 30 years) So I give so you can go "hmmmm."
3. Lastly, my wife's tired of listening to me. :p

Wait, there's one more reason. I love God!

Peace.

Nicole
04-12-02, 03:43 PM
:rofl: @ your third point :)

quite glad you feel welcomed here!!!

I'm probably a little biased, but I happen to think ILJ is different as well. I've lurked on other message boards - and we're just different!

Flannel Avenger
04-12-02, 04:43 PM
What exactly is "Orthodox" (meaning, what is the general doctrinal beliefs of the denomination)

St_Tikhon
04-13-02, 07:25 AM
Thank you for the honest inquirery. I will try my best to give you a simple, straight forward answer. But please be warned, we tend to use language that "offends" those who are not in fellowship with us. This does not mean we do not love you, far from it. Anyone who believes anything should use similar language, other wise, in my humble opinion, they have a questionable religion.

Orthodox means right belief and right worship. That's what it means, thats the way we use it to define ourselves.

Orthodoxy is the Church founded by Christ, nutured by the apostles and handed down to other faithful men for the last 2000 years. (The pattern we see in I Timothy)

If you want doctrine, simply check out the seven great councils, or easier yet read the Nicene Creed, we wrote it.

Do we believe in the bible? We'd better, we assembled it. The Orthodox Church is the one who protected the documents to begin with and then, under the leadership of the Holy Spirit, determined which documents were authentic. (ie. There exists more than the four gospel accounts, as Im sure you already know. The OC determined that the four we have were the only trustworthy ones. One other little note. The OC is resonsible for naming three of the four gospels.)The history of the bible is really interesting, why this is not taught more I dont know.

As a former Protestant, I can tell you with all sincerity that there is much misunderstanding about Orthodoxy by those who are not Orthodox. I will not bash any denomination. If you have heard something about Orthodoxy and would like to ask an honest question, as we've had here, I will respond with what we believe.

Thank you again for this wonderful forum.

Peace

Lawrence
04-13-02, 08:56 AM
I agree also that we should not bash any denomination, but I may add "ANY DENOMINATION THAT PROCLAIMS JESUS CHRIST". I believe Mark 9:38-40 speaks to this somewhat.

I believe many times we carry some denominational baggage that only The Holy Spirit can lighten or remove, you know, The One who will lead us into all Truth. I was a member of a very large denomination but now worship at a non-denominational church. I no longer refer to myself by that denominational name.

I refer to myself as a Christian, God's child...

Praise My LORD, THANK YOU JESUS!

Catholic
04-13-02, 12:47 PM
I'm a bit confused. Are you an Orthodox Christian like the Eastern Orthodox churches?

St_Tikhon
04-13-02, 01:24 PM
Yes, I'm Orthodox. Eastern, Russian, Greek, Antiochene, all the same. The designations only refer to which patriarch one is under (or ethnic tie). We all hold the same doctrine and are in communion with each other.

There are doctrinal differances between us and the Coptic and Oriental Orthodox. But talks are ongoing to restore that rift.

ROCOR, Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, is a schismatic group and not in communion with the ecumenical patriarch.

There is an excellent book that outlines the history of The Church, it's wriiten by Bishop Kallistos (Timothy) Wear. The title, simply enough, is "The History of the Orthodox Church."

For more info, I refer you to the writings of Jaroslav Pelikan, former Sterling Professor of Biblical History at Yale. After a lifetime as a Lutheran, he realized that everything he had ever taught about the history of the church was found in the Orthodox Church, and he converted.

Peace

Catholic
04-13-02, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. :)

I've read a bit about Orthodoxy, but am obviously not too familar with it.

Ann
04-13-02, 10:21 PM
How does the Orthodox Church regard the Chaldean Catholic Church?

Kittycat
04-13-02, 10:58 PM
Pardon me for interrupting, I am very sorry.
As in the Teen Scene I declared Maura and I official welcomers and I haven't been on in awhile and feel like I am shirking from my self proclaimed job!:blush:
Howdy!
I am Cat/f/Texas. I am glad you are liking this board. I think it is one of the best around on the web! I mostly post in the Wacky Forum, and Teen Scene. I do not usually spread into other forums, because they tend to be more serious than I can control myself to be for long periods of time ;)! I am a high school student and next year I will be a sophomore.( another reason I stay mainly in two forums, most topics I have no input or are about things I have no clue about) But I saw your name and I felt truely guilty for not welcoming you.
I hope you stay!
In Christ's Love
~Kitty~

St_Tikhon
04-14-02, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking Ann. The Chaldean Catholics, converted Nestorians, were reconcilled with Rome and look to her for their guidance and fellowship.

Could you streamline the question a litte more?
(perhaps "Is the Chaldean Catholic Church in fellowship with the Orthodox Church?", or something like that)

Peace

St_Tikhon
04-14-02, 12:42 AM
Thank you kittycat05. I did not feel the least bit slighted by a lack of response from you. However, your zeal to make me feel welcome has done it's job.

Purr-fect Peace

Ann
04-14-02, 07:37 PM
There has been dialog betwen the Chaldean Catholic Church and the Roman Catholic church since at least the early '70's however I was not aware of any actual merger. Granting that it has been a while since I moved in CC circles can you tell me when they began to take instruction from Rome?

My question was basicly
1. I recalled that the Chaldean Church used to speak of itself as more like the Eastern Orthodox than the Roman in doctrine, practice and fellowship and wondered if there had been any further moves in that direction.
2. I was fairly familiar with basic CC doctrine and practice and far less so with Orthodox doctrine and practice and so was inquiring about basic similarities and differences.
and 3. yes I think you could say that the question of whether the churches are in fellowship would be relevant.

As I now look at what I wanted to know I am not sure how appropriate 2. above may or may not be for this board. If you would prefer to take that to email that's OK or if you just plain don't want to go there that's fine too. Hope this makes more sense now. And of course you may well not be enough familiar w/ the Chaldean to want to get into this. If so sorry I put you in a spot.

louisa
04-17-02, 12:58 PM
all this denominational stuff confuses me. all i know is im happy in my church and they are my family as is every1 else who is in christ. Last nite at youth group we prayed for our nation and for the church specifically that barriers would be broken down between denominations as this what God was speaking to us about as a group. Next month we are meeting with 3 other youth groups from the area, which will be cool.

Lawrence
04-17-02, 03:30 PM
Amen Louisa, you keep that sweet, joyful, innocent walk that you have and don't let ANYTHING lead you away from it.