PDA

View Full Version : Self-examination

Breni Sue
04-08-02, 02:41 AM
I heard a sermon today, and part of the message was about self-examination. The Word says that we must examine ourselves constantly in order to be right with the Lord:

1Corinthians 11:17-43 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.
Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

My question is: When you take communion, are you really participating in the Lord's Supper as He instructed us, or are you merely having a wafer and some juice? Are you being honest with yourself, or was there ever a time when you refused communion because you felt you were not being honest, or maybe holding back? I am really interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this. :)

Multimom
04-08-02, 10:40 AM
Breni:

I remember a time when I was in college and I was living a pretty sinful life and I wasn't remorseful or one bit sorry, but I still felt the conviction of God.

I was still going to church but it was mostly for show. One Sunday (I did this several times, but this one really stuck out) I approaced the altar, because that was how the church I was attending did it. I took the cup and the wafer and as I knelt there on the cushioned alter, I realized that I was making a huge mistake and I walked away. Knowing that I was living in sin, I simply couldn't continue to participate in an ordinance of the church that so represented forgiveness which I knew required repentance.

Needless to say, I finally got my head on straight and went to God in true repentance and asked forgiveness. Since that time I have never failed to truly search my heart prior to participating in the Lord's Supper or Communion as it is called in some faiths.

Breni Sue
04-11-02, 07:37 AM
Hmm, no one else wants to tackle this? :confused:

Ah well, I shall add this to my list of things to meditate on next week and give additional thoughts to when I get back home! I will be doing a lot of "self-examining", no doubt! ;)

Barney
04-11-02, 07:55 AM
I've refused communion before, coz I felt I would be letting God down if I did....so I cleaned up my act, and took it next time.

By big brother was very similar, but he wouldn't even begin taking communion until he was 20, coz he felt he didn't truly understand Jesus, so did want to partake.

I had a big conversation with him one night, he's now read the bible from cover to cover, and he's been taking it since!!!!

We should be examining our actions....to some extent we shouldn't have to, coz we shouldn't really be doing anything wrong!

I'm reading a book about the gospel of the water, the blood and the spirit, and it says we shouldn't be so concerned with sinning, because Jesus has already paid the price for our sins. He dies for all sins past, present and future. It states that by not believing that, you are blaspheming!?!?!?

What do you make of that?

Orpheus42
04-11-02, 09:36 AM
I've always taken it to mean that we should be concerned with sinning BECAUSE Jesus' death takes all our sins away, after all there is a definite connection in the epistles about faith producing good works which increases faith which produces good works which... and so on and so forth, all part of the process of sanctification which will finally be completed in the day of Christ (Philippians 1:6, I think).

Caretaker
04-11-02, 11:47 AM
2 Cor. 7:

Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

It is Godly sorrow for our iniquities which brings us to repentence, to turning from our sins and turning to Christ. We allow our new creation in Christ to be more and more conformed or shaped into His image.

1 Thess. 5:

Rejoice evermore.
Pray without ceasing.
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
Quench not the Spirit.
Despise not prophesyings.
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
Abstain from all appearance of evil.
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

One should come to the Lord's Table with a Fear of the Lord, (reverential awe), and in sorrow for the remembrance that this Table represents the sacrifice of the Innocent for we who are truly guilty. The partaking of the Table should not be entered into lightly, but we are to remember that when we call upon the name of our Lord our sins are forgiven.

One should spend some time with Jesus at the alter of confession, praying for forgiveness, and praising Him that His Blood washes our sins away, and that we are forgiven, washed clean and able to come to His Table. This is a most Holy Ordinance, the sharing of the remembrance of Almighty God's Passover Lamb.

1 Cor. 11:

And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

May God bless.

St_Tikhon
04-11-02, 10:17 PM
For almost 2000 years the practice of the Church has been this regarding the Eucharist:

1. It is the body and blood of Christ. How? We don't know. But Jesus said it was and that's that. The RCC tried to define how it happens and the Protestants tried to say nothing happened, but the Church has always taken God at His word on this one.

2. Examination is serious due to the above belief. We fast, no food or water, 12 hours prior to Eucharist, which is why we meet each week. Confession is recommended and personal prayers of repentence are also done.

The Church sees the Eucharist as serious today as when people were dying from taking it unworthily in the NT.

It is no coincidence that the elements are called the body and blood and the Church is called God's body. You are what you eat.

The Lord's prayer, which is Eucharistic, speaks to this end. "Give us this day our daily bread" is no mere call for physical food. The Greek word there is actually "supersubstantial." So we are really praying "give us this day our supersubstantial bread." What is this bread? The bread of heaven, Christ.

The OT account of manna in the wilderness is a type of this idea, bread from heaven.

This is what we believe.

Peace