PDA

View Full Version : Promise Keepers?

cujo95
03-30-02, 01:46 AM
This thread is mainly addressed to men, but I invite the input of women here also.

What do you think of Promise Keepers?

Do you think it is all it is cracked up to be?

If it's not such a great thing, then could there be something better for men?

I will withhold my opinion of PK for now.

I will say that I have been involved with PK in the past, but am no longer involved in any way.

Multimom
03-30-02, 12:35 PM
I have seen Promise Keepers impact men in an awesome and powerful way when it is followed according to it's organizer's original intent. There are some men who for some unknown reason want to use a wonderful and powerful ministry to make slaves out of their wives and thats not what PK is about and its founders are totally against that.

The women's side of the organization the Promise Reapers is a wonderful counter-part to an organization that encourages men to seek out the counsel of men and the relationships with men and God.

When done according to scripture I believe there is no other single organization that can impact a man and his family for Christ.

The only negatives I have heard are the folks who think that everything and every group ought to be co-ed.

My main reason for disagreeing with the "all co-ed" philosophy is that when you are dealing with issues of a "delicate" nature mixed company isn't the best or most appropriate way to go.

Trust me when I tell you that most of the women I know have absolutely no desire to sit and listen to a group of men talk about their drives and the sin of lust.

And most men I know don't want to sit around and listen to their wives discuss "maturation" issues with their daughters.

selah
04-01-02, 01:27 AM
I've had limited experience with promise keepers; my only experience with it was a very close male friend in junior high. PK (and probably his church) led him down a mysogynistic path and truthfully he greatly damaged me emotionally. During a time most teenagers are struggling to find their identity and are very self-conscious (13/14 years old) he never let me forget what a better Christian he was than I; nor how superior "guys" were to "girls". At that impressionable age, I believed him, and it took about five years for God to begin to heal me of the damage he had done.

Orpheus42
04-01-02, 05:43 AM
Is that part of PK's teaching? Was this idea a direct result of PK's influence? You also mention the teaching of his church (and/or individuals within his church possibly). Is it possible there's another cause? What about his family?

Without further information, it is impossible to tell whether or not his behavior is a direct result of PK's teaching, and likewise impossible to tell whether or not this is what PK actually teaches or instead how he fallaciously took the teaching.

I am neither defending nor criticizing PK, I would sincerely like more information about the situation.

selah
04-01-02, 06:58 PM
I know that it was a combination of what he learned at PK, what he learned at church, and what he learned from his father at home. When he was talking about how much better guys were than girls, he used verses and anecdotes he had heard at both PK conventions and his church; and also always telling me how much better his dad and he were than his mom and his sister. When I challenge myself thinking about this, the most likely scenario is not that PK changed his thinking but that he used the messages taught there to support his already extreme view of women. He probably twisted what was said there or took it out of a more respectful context.

trixiepup
04-02-02, 12:24 AM
i haven't had any personal involvement with promise keepers cuz i'm a girl. :)

but my opinion on promise keepers is that it is a way to market christianity to men in a more appealing package.

it seems aimed at a traditional, middle class america version of christianity where men are in positions of more control and leadership, and women should submit to the husband, etc.

from things that i saw on tv way back when, i seem to recall it being predominantly white, which may keep men of different ethnicities from participating.

i think it is good that men join it to improve themselves, but i worry that people just follow it like cattle, not really thinking for themselves or forming their own opinions. beyond that, it doesn't seem to be too terribly different from all the fraternal orders that were popular in the early 1900s.

i think members of pk are probably ebbing and flowing constantly, because it's easy to get really into a new thing, but then the novelty wears off and it's not fun anymore.

Multimom
04-02-02, 03:24 PM
1. Let me point out that PK in no way teaches nor does it advocate the position of men being superior than women nor does it encourage such teaching. This is a distortion of the truth of God's word and anyone can take an excellent truth and twist it in such a way as to make it look horrible.

2. At the Houston Conference about 5 years ago, the racial make up of the group pretty much mirrored the racial make up of the churches in the area. There were men of all races, ethnicities and backgrounds present.

If you find someone who is making a mockery of God's word and using PK as their source, they have another agenda that is totally out of line with PK.

One of the great misconceptions of PK is that it teaches that men are superior over women. The reality is that they are trying to teach men to take back their responsibility in the home instead of sitting by and abdicating all manner of obligation and direction to whomever is willing to take it. This abdication of that role is why so many families have kids making all the choices and decisions. And no one is parenting.

Oh well, enough of my two cents.