PDA

View Full Version : What about the Unborn?

Kristine
03-28-02, 09:20 PM
Why are most churches doing so little about abortion? The unborn and their mothers are people the church has a responsibility to minister to. By large, I feel much less is being done than could be done.

Is not the second greatest commandment, according to Matt. 22:39 that we "love our neighbor as we love ourselves"? Most Christians agree that the unborn are human people, for the Bible tells us so (Jeremiah 1:5-8, Psalms 139:13-16 etc) but of all the ministries our churches have for people of all ages, how many churches have a ministry to serve the unborn?

If the unborn are human beings, they are our neighbors too. If we were yet unborn and our lives were at stake, undoubtedly we would yearn for someone to speak up on our behalf, to intervene and save our life. If we are to "do unto others as we would have them do unto us" we MUST speak up for them.

Doesn't Proverbs 31:8 tell us that we are to "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves..." ? In fact Proverbs 24:11&12 tells us to [Rescue those being led away to death;
hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, 'But we knew nothing about this,' does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it?
Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?]

If we will be repayed according to what we have DONE (not just believed, or known) about abortion. Why isn't more being done?

Every Christian can pray daily for the unborn, for their mothers, for their abortionists, for those suffering from past abortions....
Every Christian can get informed about abortion, about the unborn. Every Christian can display a pro-life button or bumper sticker, vote pro-life (if human life is more important than tax cuts, vote like it), talk to their friends about fetal development, distribute information about their local Crisis Pregnancy Centre... Many Christians can even donate financially to a CPC or to a pro-life educational group.

Current stats show that women who identify themselves as evangelical Christians abort at a rate of 1 in 5 U.S. abortions. (Allan Guttmacher institute) Hence, pastors also have a duty to preach to their congregations about the miracle of fetal life, the sin of abortion, finding forgiveness for past abortions, and offering love/support to unwed mothers. Pastors must visually and rhetorically equip their congregations to make a persuasive case for the unborn's humanity and abortion inhumanity.

Resources are available to make abortion unthinkable (http://str.org , http://cbrinfo.org , http://abortiontv.com etc) Why not take advantage of them? Present Stand to Reason's Pro-Life 101 seminar, Show CBR's Harder Truth video to the people...

Jesus told us in Matthew 25:40 that whatever we do "to the least of these" we do unto Him. Jesus is being aborted 14,000 times today alone, (4,000 U.S., 315 Canada...) What is the church going to do today to speak up and save some or even one of these little people?

Kristine
http://ottawayouthforlife.org

Ann
03-29-02, 12:45 AM
Hello Kristine Welcome to ilj
I realize that your post is more a plea and a crusade than a question. But for now we will leave it here since you also have a good post on the subject on the Fellowship board. Caring for the unborn is a vital issue for Christians. These are among the most defenseless of our people and need our love and care.

You asked why more churches do not do more about this. Some do. Others do not know how to start and the resources you provided should help. Others see pregnancy outside of marriage as the result of sin and frankly do not want to reward going against God's word and moral standards. We hear this often from certain people about our work with single moms and there are days I can see their point clearly when someone comes in 2 fatherless little ones in tow and says I'm pregnant again so you have to do something about my rent. But none of that is the fault of the little one waiting to be born. The real solution to abortion is teaching God's love and righteousness to each child so that the character of Christ becomes a part of them and they do not become involved in sexual relationships outside of marriage. And teaching that all life is a special gift from God to be treasured and cared for acordingly. But until that happens we are going to have crisis pregnancies and a need for ministries like yours.

Each of us has a slightly different way God has called us to express Jesus to people who need him and there are many specific groups to whom different people are called. Your specific area of ministry is to the unborn and to the women who are pregnant with these children. Ours is to homeless children and their families and to senior citizens especially in southern Appalachia, our friend Stan's is to orphans in the former Soviet Union, Mary's is to Hispanic teens, Joyce's is to older people who have never yet met Jesus, Tony's is pastoring a local church and helping people reach maturity in Christ. It is very easy to feel that our own calling is the most urgent one because for us it is. It is also easy to think badly of brothers and sisters who do not see the calling with the same urgency we do. I have to really fight that one. But the body of Christ has many members each designed for a specific purpose. God can use any one of us to minister to anyone but He has chosen and designed different people for specific purposes. 1 Corinthians 12:14-20 puts it this way. "For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. And if they were all one member, where were the body? But now are they many members, yet but one body." We must respect the callings of each brother and sister while walking truly in our own specific area of life and ministry. And doing so will also help us spend less effort being angry and frustrated (I'm speaking of and to myself here at least as much as I am to you) and have more constructive energy to get done what we are called to do.

God bless you as you share Christ's love and give a wake up call to all His people.

Kristine
03-29-02, 04:19 AM
I know this isn't a discussion forum (I'm not even sure if this will post here); but I just wanted to thank you for your post and to clarify one thing. (Feel free to move this back to the fellowship board if it's not apropriate on this board)

You are right that people are called to many different types of ministries. I am not suggesting that everyone must devote their lives to full-time pro-life work. I aplaud people who are serving God to the best of their ability in other areas of need. My 'wake-up call' (as you put it) is to the many who are doing very little to serve their neighbors, born or unborn.

While it is true that everyone can't do everything in every area, everyone can do something in some areas. I have found that the people in my church who are involved in a ministry tend to be the ones who will take part in other ministries as well. My pro-life speaking colleague, for example, helps out once a week with the soup-kitchen ministry and also volunteers some time each fall to cleaning yards for the elderly. One may have a calling, but that doesn't excuse our obligation to do what we can where we have time and means to do more.

It doesn't take much extra work to include the unborn and their moms in one's daily prayers; to donate ones used baby items to the local CPC, or to vote pro-life or display a pro-life bumper sticker. For many it doesn't involve much sacrifice to put an extra 10-50$ aside for this often neglected ministry. It's not life-altering to take part in a pro-life apologetics seminar for an afternoon (but it could be life-saving)

Ultimately, when it comes down to evangelism and ministries of love to various people groups etc, we as Christians need to balance what is important with what is urgent, and consider whether the church has reached an appropriate balance.

Evangelism and ministries of love are important. Saving a child's life is urgent. We would likely stop all our church ministeries if we learned that a hit-man was running up the stairs to the nursery filled with children. Saving their lives would likely be our most urgent priority, even over serving soup and making a bed for the elderly. We would likely attempt to disarm the man first - that is urgent, then we would seek to share Christ with him - that is important.

Just look at how the world views European Christians who did nothing to end the shedding of blood in their midst. We don't look at them and say 'Oh how nice, they were involved in nurturing their Christian flock, and preaching the gospel...' As good as those things are in and of themselves, we look at them and say "How could they have been so heartless? How could they preach the gospel and call people to a 'God of love' while His own people didn't even show love to their Jewish neighbors. How could they say they love God and yet let those created in His own image be slaughtered in the death camps?"

Again, I don't want to condemn anyone doing a Godly ministry, your work is most certainly needed. But perhaps, might we be giving the body's arms a lot of workout, at the expense of letting our legs go limp?

Yours in Christ,
Kristine

Ann
03-29-02, 10:42 PM
Hello again Kristine
You're right it's time to move this to CF. When it becomes apparent that what is wanted is discussion not answers from someone in ministry it's time. :) And this will allow input from more peple too.

I appreciate your passion for the ministry that God has given you. I may appreciate it extra much because I have fought abortion in a number of ways for more than 30 years and the thought of killing a baby still turns both my stomach and my soul. Looking at the little ones at church especially the two so recently saved from the intentions of those who declared them guilty of the crime of inconvenience and wanted to demand the death penalty I am at the same time filled with joy that they are here with us and this incredible sadness for the babies who are not here and for their moms who apart from Jesus Christ bear the eternal guilt for killing them. Yet I also find it criminal that Nancy's friend died up on the mountain because his family put him out there in the cold because he was "so old and useless and he likes to drink sometimes", that 14 year old Erika and her infant son were living in a cardboard box in 10 degree weather to hide from the man to whom her father sold her, that Nat was raped repetedly as punishment for being homeless, that 76 year old Miss S. lay in her yard for 2 days while her neighbors waited to see if someone from one of the ministries would come by to check on her. These lives are also at risk and to me their need is urgent too. And just about the time I pass my boiling point and decide I am going to force someone to get with it and make sure this will stop happening I can hear in my mind and spirit the words of Bishop Covington "but what about their souls. Will it help them to go to hell well fed and warm?" and I know that we must somehow reach them all not just to meet the physical needs but to show them it is done because God loves them and wants to help them spiritually as well as naturally. To do what is needed for the babies not yet born, for their mamas, for the teens and older folks of both genders who need a reason not to use sex as a play toy or a way of earning money or drugs or a place to sleep that night, for the grandpas freezing on the mountain and the grandma's crying in the hollows or in the city streets, all who know and love Jesus must join in each in his or her own way. Each of us can ask the Holy Spirit to give us a love for people and a desire to see them saved, a passion for salvation that reflects the passion of Christ upon the cross, and a compassion that demonstrates in practical ways the love He has for each human who has ever been conceived, from a tiny preborn baby to a hurting street child to a wealthy socialite who is as bound for hell without Christ as is the most stoned bum or gangbanger.