PDA

View Full Version : Prayer

Ashwee
03-28-02, 05:15 PM
Hey everyone! Alright... lately, I've felt like I've been slipping soo much away from God. I mean, I'm still a christian, without a doubt I'm a christian. But last night at church, they were talking about how to stay a Christian and to grow in Christ and everything. He gave 5 steps... and one was reading your Bible everynight. second was to stop cussing, third was stop listening to secular music (I listen mostly to Christian, but I do listen to some secular, and he said thats fine as long as you feel its alright with God, like its not talking about drugs, sex, it cusses, etc.) fourth was getting involved in church, and letting it get involved w/ you... and the fifth one is pray at least 15 minutes a day. This is the only thing that I have problems with. I mean, I want to, sooo bad! And I have the time, but prayer is my weakness. I dont know what to say, how to say it, and if im saying the right things. I pray every night before I go to bed, and before tests in school, lol. I have soo much in my heart, about how I feel about Jesus and everything, and I dont know how to express it. I'll say how much I love Him, and how much I need Him, but I certainly dont pray 15 minutes. I've tried to before, and I cant. I run out of words, and I end up just repeating myself. and also it seems like I say the same thing every night and like I'm not getting anything out of it. Could somebody help me out with this please?
God Bless,
Ash xoxo

Nicole
03-28-02, 05:25 PM
A lot of times I find it hard to really pray too. I think so often we get in the habit of bringing our list of needs to God and then going, "ok, thank you very much for your time, I'm done now." However, what we need to remember is that prayer is a conversation. Yes, talk to God, tell Him about the stuff going on in your life. Thank HIm for the blessings, tell Him the things that bother you, what you are concerned over. Tell Him what made you laugh today, what made you cry. Then, wait - listen - "be still and know that He is God." The waiting part is hard sometimes - and getting to know His voice in those quiet, still moments can become frustrating at times. But, if you develop a friendship, a love relationship with God, then having a 15 minute (and longer) conversation with Him will come a little more naturally.

Multimom
03-28-02, 06:21 PM
Just a tip:

I'm not so sure that its the amount of time you spend as long as you spend time daily. And never worry about praying about the "right" things, just talk to him as you do a friend.

My kids think I talk to myself, but in truth, I'm talking to God from the deepest desires of my heart. They think I'm a bit nuts, but I know I'm not.:p

Breni Sue
03-28-02, 11:56 PM
Prayer is one of my weak spots as well. Anymore it feels as though I am handing God a "to-do" list, but I can say that i have gotten better at it. I never feel comfortbale giving prayer in public, like during a church service or before our weekly bible study. Mainly because I am not as "eloquent" with speaking as most folks (I have a slight speech problem). So when they ask "who wants to give prayer?", I usually try to avoid eye contact! :) (although it never seemed to work in school when the teacher would ask a question! :p )

Well, I don't really know what else to say that Nicole and LeAnn haven't already said. When you do pray, don't dwell too much on how you talk to Him. Just pretend you are talking to a best friend - because you are! :) I heard a story once where this guy would picture Jesus sitting in a chair next to him, and he would just talk as though He were physically right there, listening to his every word. I must admit though, that's kind of hard for me to do! ;)

God doesn't care how well you speak or how quickly the words come to you - He knows your heart and what and you are trying to say. And that's all that really matters! :)

Vinnie
03-29-02, 01:10 AM
I reccomend a book by Kay Arthur "Lord Teach Me to Pray." It was very good. I'll post excerpts on Sunday...

Ashwee
03-29-02, 04:40 PM
Kyrie... Ive read the same story... its so cute.
Thanx guys for all of yalls help!

cujo95
03-29-02, 08:44 PM
Let go and just let the Spirit take over.

Do not be anxious. Be caught up in all the joy-that you are His forever. Think on all the wonderful things you have in Him and will have in Him.

Rest in Him, listen to Him, and don't listen to any other voices.

Let go, and let God...

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And hewho searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit, intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will." ( Rom 8:26-27 )

b
03-30-02, 06:13 PM
hey jedidiah,
the others have pretty much said what i would say, except...

make sure you don't get bogged down in 'routine' and 'religion', doing things because 'you should' rather than you want to. God desires us to desire Him with our hearts.

The Lord knows how we are feeling, what we are thinking and ever will think and do in our lives. do NOT worry about what you are saying to God in your more quiet prayer times with Him because He knows what you are thinking even as you may 'plan out your prayer' if you ever do that, befroe you say it.

kyrie was right about the 'to do' or 'to thank for list'. It's so easy to get into the routine of just before you go to bed, saying thank You to God for the day, etc etc...which is good, we should show our gratitude to the Lord, but just try not to make it all you say, or all you listen to.

i struggle in the listening area of prayer especially, so i need to take this advise too, but...
God, although He is the most Mighty, Glorious, and Powerful Being EVER, is also our friend, and comforter, healer, and trillions of other things, through His Triune (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) nature. so we CAN talk to Him, as He IS our friend.

i'm gonna wrap up now, but just one more point, and a big one...

God talks to each of us in different, and wonderful ways throughout our lives, and throughout our days. if you don't feel as if God ia talking to you in your quiet times, He might not be. remember that God can and does talk to us through people, situations, etc...throughout the day.

God created all days, and so, i think one of the things i would most like to sort out in my prayer life, is not putting God 'in a box' so to speak.

allow for Him to be anywhere, and say anything, as He does.

He loves ya.
Take care.
b
xx