PDA

View Full Version : questions

anon e mouse
03-26-02, 04:22 AM
Going by the scripture what does God think of psychics or people who say that they ae psychic? What scriptures do you base that on?

Scholarcs
03-26-02, 04:31 AM
I cannot remember where it is from (sorry) but I do know that God/Jesus condemns those who pracitce magic etc.

Perhaps someone knows where it is from?

Caretaker
03-26-02, 08:40 AM
The Bible prohibits occultic practices. Divination is foretelling of the future or discovering hidden knowledge through occult means. Such practices are strictly prohibited (Deut .4:19; 18:10-12; Isa. 47:13-15; 44:24-25; Zech. 10:2).

Visualization or the manipulating of reality through the mind, the use of Spirit guides, and contacting former human beings are also warned against (Deut. 18:10-12; Lev. 19:31; 20:6-21; 1 Chr. 10:13-14 cf. 1 Sam. 28:3, 7-15).

Acts 16:

And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.

Here we see the slave girl was possessed by a spirit, or demon of divination, and earned money for her masters, until Paul cast out this demon. Psychics and all practitioners of the occult are an abomination before God and condemned by His Word.

Breni Sue
03-27-02, 03:19 AM
Well, Drew pretty much covered the Scriptures part of it, but I would like to offer my own thoughts:

I have known folks who use tarot cards and such and label themselves as "Christian Psychics". IMO, it is as contradictory as labeling oneself a "Christian Witch". Such people are calling upon an outside power to inform them or others of future events. I think this is a very dangerous thing, because you are claiming that you can call upon God's power at any time to reveal to you whatever you want Him to. But as we all know, God only reveals to us what He Himself wants us to know. God is not a power source we can tap into and demand things from to serve our own purpose. And yet this is exactly what we do when we turn to psychics for answers. We must learn to trust in the Lord and take comfort in the fact that He is in control. He will help us take care of tomorrow, whatever it may hold for us.

However, this is not to be confused with the Spiritual gift of "prophesy" (Read 1Corinthians 14 - namely verses 1-5, 30-33, and 37-40 for more info) There is a big difference between calling upon God to tell us what we want to know, and allowing God to reveal His Word to us and work through us in certain situations - on His own terms.

Hope I made some sense! :)

Multimom
03-27-02, 10:10 AM
Just in addition, most of the people I know who have "dabbled" with tarot cards and the such have had really difficult lives impacted by "familiar spirits", its just not something I would want to be a part of.

cujo95
03-29-02, 09:18 PM
I would like to share a rather grulling story that a Christian friend told me about a boy who was using a ougi board. (Sorry if I am not spelling it correctly)

I don't know for sure if his story is factual, but I hope it will at least help someone who might be tempted to dabble in the supernatural- to stay clear away from it.

This friend told me that a boy had been communicating with what he thought was a friendly spirit through a ougi board. One day this person- who was a teenage boy- made some request of the spirit. Immediately, a sharp pointed piece of the ougie board was broken off and driven through the boy's eye. The boy lived, but only after extensive surgery.

Apparently, the boy had been communicating with a demon.

( And what is the mission of Satan and his forces: to harm, destroy, and kill)

I try never to come across as dogmatic, but the biblical warnings are there for a reason!

Orpheus42
03-30-02, 05:05 PM
Look at Jesus' healing of the Gerasene demoniac in Mark 5 (also has parallels in Matthew and Luke, but I can't remember exactly where)- the legion was extremely powerful and its purpose, in causing the man to gash himself and harm himself in other ways, was obviously the destruction of the man. The very image of God was obscured in the man because of the legion. After Jesus drove out the legion, the man came back to his right mind- the image of God was restored. That is the goal of demons- to obscure the image of God and cause destruction.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason