PDA

View Full Version : what Christians need

Nicole
03-19-02, 09:25 PM
I put this in teen scene..thought I would stick it in here as well :)

This is from a book I read Sunday:

"The bottom line, basic need of every real Christian is to bear fruit like Christ. You can count on it. Every true Christian has that need, whether they want to admit it or not. The Holy Spirit is in them, it just yearns for that. And the further they are from fulfilling it, the emptier they are. Jesus cares about filling that emptiness - for a lot of reasons. One of them is our own happiness, but the bigger reason is that it's not about us. It's about advancing God's kingdom. We're about advancing God's kingdom. And if we aren't acting like Christ, then we're missing it. It's like we're children of the king, but we're living in a dirt shack and eating pig food." - The Heart Reader

what do you think?

Breni Sue
03-20-02, 02:21 AM
I think it speaks volumes about us as Christians. Most of us are afraid to admit that we have this..."longing desire" to do more for God, but don't know where to look. We have been called to bear fruit and live like Jesus, but where does one begin? By giving ourselves over to Him, reading His Word and following His teachings, of course. Not always as simple as it looks, mind you, but that really is all there is to it.

I'm not saying that the Christian life is a piece of cake, but I think a lot of folks make it harder than it should be. We have that emptiness in us, but we seem to be trying too hard to fill it, or looking in the wrong places. If we lay it in God's hands and listen to what He tells us, we can fufill that longing desire to do more for Him.

Thank you for sharing, Nicole. I really needed to read that! ;)

St_Tikhon
04-12-02, 11:24 AM
This seems to speak towards salvation/sanctification/holiness, something we Orthodox do not make a distinction between.

Of course we want to be more like Christ, that's where we are when we first say yes to Him. However, thats only the beginning. This is not the same as earning or keeping our salvation, far from it. However saying yes is only the beginning of our salvation, not the end. Let me use an example most of us will understand.

To an Orthodox, marriage is a sacrament. It is also a picture of the relationship between the Church and Christ (the Church is the bride of Christ). If my wife refused to talk to me (prayer), read my love notes (scripture) or have sex with me (worship)after we were married, then something would be wrong. If all marriage was was the repeating of a couple of vows (which Orthodox dont do, but thats another story), then why would people get married. No, marriage is about communion, shared vision, shared spirit. In this then, both partners must continue to show acts of love toward one another, not to win the love or keep the love, but to enhance the love.

Just as there are specific things we do in this relationship to enhance the love, dates, flowers, foot rubs, conversations and so on, so too are there things, specific things, that we can do to nurture our love for God and we can, as Mary did, find favor with God.

There are prayers to pray, feasts to celebrate, the Eucharist and so on. And before passing judgement on these things, remember how ritualistic we all are. We all give gifts on birthdays or anniversaries or Christmas. We give hearts on Valentines day and so on. This is all ritual. But you love doing it? Great. So do I. And that's the point. We do these things out of love, because He first loved us.

Peace

Nicole
04-12-02, 12:34 PM
I've used the marriage example many times myself - great example.

I liked what you said about it being the beginning of salvation though. So many people have a tendancy to "get their fire insurance" and then run off and live how they want to - sorry, doesn't work that way. There's a difference between being saved - and being a surrendered disciple of Christ - God wants the latter. That means following His will and all that.

Orpheus42
04-12-02, 12:50 PM
Paul's numerous depictions of the Christian life being a struggle, a race, etc. emphasize just that- it's not a one-shot, bang you're done deal. It's a lifetime, Jesus said that you must be willing to lose your life to give it. He wasn't just talking about being willing to die for him, he meant LIVING for him.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

Ann
04-12-02, 01:17 PM
I like that a race and a walk. Daily moment by moment not just in bursts of spirituality or when we think we need God's help especially much.