PDA

View Full Version : IS reading the Bible a regular part of your life?

Ann
03-17-02, 09:27 PM
Something quoted from a national poll of evangelical Christians on whether they read the Bible regularly made me think of posting this and also the prayer poll. After people have had a chance to respond I'll post the national statistics and we can see how we compare to them.

Breni Sue
03-17-02, 09:46 PM
I opted for #5 . I try to read at least a couple chapters a day. Usually either on my breaks at work or at night before going to bed. But I either 1.) Forget to bring my bible to work with me or 2.) Am so tired by the time I get ready for bed that I often cannot keep my eyes open long enough to read. I can honestly say though that I have gotten a lot better at it. I have found that the only way I will ever have time is to make time! :)

Nicole
03-17-02, 10:00 PM
I try to read enough each morning until God shows me something through the passage - that could be after I read one verse - or after I read a chapter or so. I don't always do this though - sometimes I just really don't feel like reading my Bible - but I usually make myself read at least a chapter simply because I know I need that in my life whether I feel like doing it or not.

Playa
03-18-02, 12:02 AM
I usually do read the Bible every day; before I go to bed. I don't read many verses because it's easier to think about it and digest it in small portions.
Since my Bible has bold headings depending what's being talked about (ie, 'Jesus Predicts His Betrayal', or 'Jesus Heals an Official's Son') so I usually read bold heading to bold heading, however long it may be.

Lawrence
03-19-02, 11:56 PM
I love to read in the morning before the distractions of the day starts, while my mind is clear and open.

Barney
03-21-02, 05:03 AM
I had been using study notes for a while, then decided that it's silly to study a book, without reading it from cover to cover, so I set about reading several chapters each night, spending ages, reading and understanding and re-reading. Sometimes even book each night (or day for that matter)

I'm having a wee break just now, then I'm gonna go back to the start and do it again, and again, and again.....!!!!

Ann
03-22-02, 11:15 PM
bump

kaisha
03-25-02, 09:38 AM
I picked the second one (I think), though I 'm not really sure how well that describes me now. I used to have a devotional time everyday, but now it seems like I'm always busy and I end up rushing it. I'm trying to get back on track nowadays. :)

Orpheus42
03-30-02, 05:06 PM
Lately I've been reading a psalm and meditating after every meal. It's been very enlightening and calming.

Barney
03-31-02, 10:59 AM
what does *bump* mean?

Breni Sue
03-31-02, 12:57 PM
It means the person is "moving" the thread up to the top of the forum page in the hopes that more folks will notice it. ;)

I just started reading the book of Jeremiah. I am really loving the prophesy books so far! :)

Orpheus42
03-31-02, 01:37 PM
Isaiah is my favorite book in the OT :biggrin:

Vinnie
04-01-02, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Orpheus42
Isaiah is my favorite book in the OT :biggrin:

Don't I know it :rolleyes:

:D

Orpheus42
04-02-02, 09:29 AM
:rofl:

Ann
04-03-02, 10:37 PM
I promised that after this poll had been up a while I would post the results from the survey that made me think of asking this question. Mark and Sandy Remington who have a great Christian drama ministry were at our church and as a part of their introductory talk Mark mentioned that there had been a survey of evangelical Christians, people who say they have a personal relationship with God, and that less than 40% ever read the Bible other than on some sporatic occassion like Christmas eve. Less than 25% read regularly or daily. That is really sad. The Bible is God's love letter to us. It is also the instruction manual for our lives. I miss some days at reading too though doing these boards does help keep me disciplined to be in the word even when I think I am too busy.

Mark asked us to make a vow to read at least 2 verses in the Bible every day. 2 verses. No matter how busy I am I should be able to manage that especially when I can read on line too. If you have not found www.blueletterbible.org you may want to check it out. Marks point was that it only takes moments but builds up a habit of being in the Word and if a person misses a day or two it is not hard to catch up so it doesn't become this big thing that you can never keep up with and may as well quit. Of course the fact is that most people will have a lot of days we do not stop at 2 verses and drink in a whole lot more.

Is this something you can do? Do you want to make the committment to read at least 2 verses a day?

St_Tikhon
04-11-02, 03:00 PM
Prayer and scripture are a daily part of my life. After spending 20-25 minutes with the prayers of the Church, my wife and I then sit down and read 7-8 Psalms as a continuation of the prayers. We then read the daily readings of the Church. After that we chat some then spend some time if "free" prayer for each other, our kids and our day.

In the evening their are evening prayers and what I like to call "free ranging," reading of the epistles or other parts of scripture.

This may sound like a lot of work, but I've made it part of my day, just like eating my meals. We feast on earthly food, why not spiritual food too?

Peace.

Catholic
04-14-02, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by St_Tikhon
Prayer and scripture are a daily part of my life. After spending 20-25 minutes with the prayers of the Church, my wife and I then sit down and read 7-8 Psalms as a continuation of the prayers. We then read the daily readings of the Church. After that we chat some then spend some time if "free" prayer for each other, our kids and our day.

In the evening their are evening prayers and what I like to call "free ranging," reading of the epistles or other parts of scripture.

This may sound like a lot of work, but I've made it part of my day, just like eating my meals. We feast on earthly food, why not spiritual food too?

Peace.

Is that something comparable to the Divine Office?

hum
05-11-02, 01:49 AM
Deut 17:18-20
18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:

19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:

20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.
KJV

Josh 1:8
8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
KJV
When I was working I set my will to get up at 5 AM to pray and read until 7:30 AM. I was reading through the bible 3 or 4 times a year. Now I'm retired and reading an average of 40chapters a day. I don't say this to condemn, put to assert that the more I read the more I read the more I want and the more I realize how little I realy understand about God.

Those stats are an indicator of why The Church is so powerless.

St_Tikhon
05-11-02, 10:28 AM
Dear hum,

Thank you for your response. Before you post again, may I suggest you read the rules of this forum. Personal attacks are not welcome.

Peace.

St. Tikhon

Christ is Risen.