PDA

View Full Version : Is prayer a regular part of your life?

Ann
03-17-02, 09:20 PM
Something quoted from a national poll of evangelical Christians on whether they pray regularly made me think of posting this and also the Bible reading poll. After people have had a chance to respond I'll post the national statistics and we can see how we compare to them.

Breni Sue
03-17-02, 09:40 PM
This is funny. I was just thinking about this today. None of the above really applies to me though. I have tried praying about 10 minutes a day. But it usually ends up being about every other day or so. I have never been very good at prayer. And lately it just feels like more of a routine or a ritual than an actual conversation with God. And I tend to lose track of who and what to pray for. That & I am not always certain exactly what I should say. Sometimes it can seem almost overwhelming. So today I bought me a notebook and dubbed it my official "prayer journel". In it I am going to write down who needs prayer and what for, those who have special needs, personal concerns, how prayers have been answered, etc... Hopefully this will be an incentive to get me more into praying like I should. ;)

Nicole
03-17-02, 09:56 PM
I would really like to get into a habit of a specific prayer time - though I'm not there yet. I think a prayer journal would help me do this. I used to do a one hour prayer time once a week - but I've gotten out of the habit - and would really like something on a daily basis. Still though, I put at least 30 minutes a day simply because of the fact that I'm in a constant state of prayer. I'm constantly praying all day long. I can be sitting in class or driving or doing whatever and if something comes to mind - I just pray right then and there. At the same time, I always try to be open to what God is saying to me - though of course some time I'm nice and stubborn ;)

Playa
03-18-02, 12:20 AM
I make time to pray at every night (though lately I've been falling asleep before I had the chance, :o but then I just pray when I wake up and realize I didn't pray last night.) I pray for about 5-10 minutes (though it varies) and I do often pray in the middle of the day for various reasons at home or on the road, and we usually pray at school (private school).

Marilyn
03-18-02, 09:24 PM
Well, David and I just had a little "prayer meeting" over this topic. Does prayer mean petition or intercession? Or is it the awareness of HIM - His presence, His promises, His Word and His participation in our lives? Is prayer just the physical act of talking to God or is it the attitude of knowing He's a breath away sharing that moment with you? My prayers on the Prayer Board probably seem pretty ho-hum and repetitious a lot of times. I'm forever asking the Lord to take that person deeply into the Word - to show them how to seek Him first and let Him do the rest - to set their feet on His path and to show them that He's right there beside them. Maybe yall get tired of reading it.

But I do it because that's my relationship with Him and it's like nothing I could ever describe. It's a down-to-earth, moment-by-moment kind of thing. Prayer isn't something I actively do all the time. It's more like an awareness that's with me during the day. He actually showed me a path once - years ago when we were going through some really hard times - and I'll never forget what He said. "I walk before you to clear the way. I walk behind you to protect you from the enemy's sneak attacks. And I walk beside you because I'm your FRIEND." I'm surrounded by His love and protection and companionship.

Sure, I let the world distract me sometimes. I get so wrapped up in what's going on around me that I can't hear Him and don't take the time to remember just how CLOSE He is. And sometimes, as the Princess said so well - "sometime I'm nice and stubborn" and don't WANT to listen.

[It's pretty bad when you have a problem that seems SO unfair and so BIG and when you finally go to God it comes out like..." Lord! I gotta talk to You! Why are You letting this happen??? Why haven't You put a stop to this situation? Why are You dragging Your feet in sending the solution????? Why don't You DO something and make it STOP???" and the whole time you have this mental picture of Him standing there with His arms folded across His chest, patiently waiting for You to run out of steam. And then He says quietly "So, are you ready to listen now?" And off I go again because I KNOW what I'm going to hear and I KNOW I'm not going to like it because I'm going to get spanked for being such a brat. Other times I realize how foolish I've been and how much time I've wasted being upset when I could have been peaceful and content, sitting at His feet. BOY have I been spanked a time or two!!]

That is prayer to me - very childlike - very simple. I expect Him to be there, no matter what I'm doing, no matter where I am.......like a child, I expect my daddy to be watching and listening and interested. And like a child, I'm liable to find all kinds of things to talk to Him about or to mention to Him.
So for me, it's not always something I do. It's a state of knowing that He shares each moment and is RIGHT HERE with me. Yes I pray for people and important stuff very specifically. But mostly I just KNOW that HE IS!

Have I made any sense?

Nicole
03-18-02, 09:31 PM
YES! you made complete sense - that's what I was trying to say in my earlier post

that's what I think God means by praying without ceasing - having its always present.

It's just like I'm in a 24/7 conversation with God - he's always right there for me to talk to - and I tend to talk to him frequently

oh - and I know just what you mean about the image of him standing there with his arms folded - I kind of see this little glint of amusement in his eye - like he just finds us humans so funny because we always try to solve this stuff on our own and never ever works!

Breni Sue
03-19-02, 02:23 AM
It's pretty bad when you have a problem that seems SO unfair and so BIG and when you finally go to God it comes out like..." Lord! I gotta talk to You! Why are You letting this happen??? Why haven't You put a stop to this situation? Why are You dragging Your feet in sending the solution????? Why don't You DO something and make it STOP???" and the whole time you have this mental picture of Him standing there with His arms folded across His chest, patiently waiting for You to run out of steam. And then He says quietly "So, are you ready to listen now?" And off I go again because I KNOW what I'm going to hear and I KNOW I'm not going to like it because I'm going to get spanked for being such a brat. Other times I realize how foolish I've been and how much time I've wasted being upset when I could have been peaceful and content, sitting at His feet. BOY have I been spanked a time or two! Yup, that's me! :rofl:

God does have a funny way of answering us. Just today while I was at the eye doctor waiting on my hubby, the last part of "7th Heaven" was on the TV (I don't normally watch the show) and the show was about prayer - how to pray, what to pray for, etc.. I was thinking to myself "Wow, 1st the thread, and now this!" It's like God was poking me on the shoulder going "um, hey, I'm answering you, wake up!" ;) As humans, we tend to want the answers now, but sometimes they don't come for days, or even weeks or longer. In my case, He really loves to make me wait, LOL!

Barney
03-21-02, 05:09 AM
I say a prayer every night before I go to sleep, sometimes I fall asleep in the middle, and I have to wake up and say "in Jesus name, Amen"!!!!! LoL

I have a 15 min walk to school, so I often pray the whole way, not so much now that I've started driving!

Also, sometimes I just pray, and sometimes I'm praying without even realising it! Dunno how long I pray for, so I put at least 5 mins...coz well....it's at least 5 mins every day!!!!

Lawrence
03-22-02, 07:22 PM
Always in the morning thanking Him for the day and keeping me and mine throught the night and ask for His keeping us through the day. I then pray for understanding before I read His Word. If He brings certain situations or people to mind during the day I pray for these. I pray each night before going to bed ( a prayer list) and also thanking Him for keeping me and mine through the day and ask that that He keep us through the night. I really don't think we realize how powerful and privileged prayer is.

Ann
04-03-02, 10:45 PM
This is another mark Remingtom inspired question. (see Bible Poll for more explainationon that one)
The national poll of evangelical Christians, folks who say they have a personal relationship with Christ, showed that 39% of men and 49% of women pray at least 5 min a day. Wow what a difference I see here in our poll. And I am so glad I do. How anyone can survive without orayer is beyond me. like many of you it is a constant stream of communication more than a special sitdown time some days. I need to do more of that, of spending an extended period just praising God and worshiping Him and hearing from His heart.

Mark asked people to vow to pray at least 5 min. daily. 5 min. because it forms a habit of being in communicatin with God and because if you miss a day it is possible to catch up without feeling defeated before you try. For those who are not doing this is this something you can and want to do?

St_Tikhon
04-12-02, 11:38 AM
If you get stuck knowing what to pray try this:

1. Pray Psalm 51 (50 LXX)
2. Pray Psalm 23 (22 LXX)
3. Pray the prayer Jesus taught His disciples.
4. Pray prayers of intercession.

These are written down in sequence, not simply as four things you might try. This is an example of building a rule of prayer.

Peace.

louisa
04-17-02, 01:51 PM
i always pray in the morning even if its only for 30seconds i want God to guide every thing i do in the day and it just feels rite but i try to worship first so i usually have less time to pray. I always pray for longer at nite just before bed because i have time i have nothing else to do or worry about at this time. I try to take one of the prayer points on our newsletter from church each nite and just pray for what God is laying on my heart. I dont really time it. tho its usually not as long if im worshipping before that as sometimes this as gone on til rediculous hours in the morning but amazing things have happened during these times.

Codger
04-17-02, 03:57 PM
Dear ILJ,
No fixed prayer time. Just mostly address issues as they come up on a daily basis. Not too organized I guess. Often I pray the news and Television. For example while watching the news I pray for peace in the Middle East because of the violence there and so the Gospel can go forth. I pray for the people of Afganistan that Gods Word might come to them and the yoke of the enemy might be broken in that part of the world. I often pray for people in Hollywood - like for example Oprah had Michael J. Fox on her show - I pray that God will bring his provision and salvation into his life through his health problems.

Do you think this practice is goofy or off base? Does it fit your definition of prayer?

Larry

Ann
04-17-02, 04:58 PM
Hello Larry
It makes good sense to me.

You may also want to try to pray at a time you have a little while to be fairly undisturbed and just praise God and thank Him and give Him a chance to talk to You. The on the spot prayer is to be a way of life for Christians but Jesus also enjoyed real fellowship with God in payer and we can also.

There is a little book The Practice of the Presence of God that you may enjoy. It is available free on line at http://www.ccel.org/l/lawrence/practice/htm/i.htm