PDA

View Full Version : Secular music

Tricia
03-16-02, 08:33 PM
Here's a question I want to get an opinion on:

Do you think it's ok to listen to secular music?

If not, why?

If so, what bands do you limit yourself to?

Do you limit yourself to any band?

Personally, I have no taste whatsoever for nonChristian bands (or bands that say they are Christians but don't sing Christian lyrics).

VG8XP80
03-18-02, 12:13 AM
I doubtlessly listen to more secular music than I do Christian music. I am a musician, producer, arranger, performer; if I waited for Christian music to catch up, I'd be a year behind everything. Secular music is usually the innovator, and Christian music tries franticly to catch up. I have a sizable Christian collection, but it is probably a third as big as my secular.

I enjoy country music. So, if I were limited to Christian country, guess how many different artists I'd have. I could probably count them on my fingers and have a couple to spare. I love jazz. Since most jazz is instrumental, I don't suppose it is either secular or Christian, though I've always thought about it as secular. I love cultural sounds. That's hard enough to find as is, without looking for Christian music that incorporates a lot of that.

Worst of all, I perform secular music. The CD I'm currently working on will include roughly half secular country and half ministry songs. If that's not breaking the mold.... It seems to me that God is interested in reaching lost people. I fully expect my secular songs to be successful, so that when people by my CD on that merit, they'll also receive a dose of ministry. It's time to bring down the barriers, not put them up.

Candice
03-18-02, 12:49 AM
*opens mouth then decides she doesn't have enough time tonight to start this*

*leaves thread alone for now*

VG8XP80
03-18-02, 04:43 AM
Hold on! Nobody else gets to reply to this thread except me. If you read above, you'll notice that Tricia wanted "an opinion". That means I am the be all and end all on this matter! And furthermore, I messed up and used the word accept instead of except, hence the edit on such a short post!

Orpheus42
03-18-02, 06:22 AM
:rofl:

Candice
03-18-02, 05:33 PM
wait a sec if she just asked for an opinion then who gave you the authority to answer :stinkeye: shouldn't that be I or jase's job??? :biggrin: :biggrin:

CalledByGrace
03-18-02, 06:09 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with secular music, but I also don't think all of it is good. It just depends on the artist and song. As long as it doesn't speak against God or what he stands for, I believe it's fine. But I also believe secular music shouldn't be the only music you listen to.

Tricia
03-18-02, 08:27 PM
Thank you Candice, your opinions meant a lot to me. ;)

Seriously, I only wanted an opinion. I wasn't trying to start a flame war.

Kittycat
03-18-02, 08:59 PM
I listen to secular music most of the time.
I listen to country, punk, rock, pop, classical(very rarely), a little rap, also used to have a Ricky Martin kick for a while :eek:
But if I feel the song offends God I change the station to something more pleasing or turn it off or walkk out of my room for a while.
I do listen to Christian but my radio doesnt pick it up all the time.

Barney
03-21-02, 04:43 AM
I listen to most music, but moreso Christian stuff.
I'd agree that it's fine to listen to secular music, as long as it's not speaken against God. If it comes on the radio, as long as you disagree with what they say.....fine!

I've actually found out something really cool. I have a habit of working out certain pop songs that 'tickle my fancy', then sing them non-stop. I've even mad eup a wee folder with them all.....and if you read through the lyrics, every1 of them could be christian!!!! Creepy subconscious stuff!!!! woohoo

sarah4Jesus
03-25-02, 12:53 AM
*sticks her big toe in to see if it's too hot in here.......decides it's ok*

Alright, since the post was only asking for an opinion..I guess I'll share mine. *grin*

Personally for me, I've limited myself to listening to Christian music as often as possible. There are times when I listen to secular (at work, in public, etc.) but I don't purchase any secular CD's or voluntarily listen to the music. Here's my reasoning ....

I stumble.. and I stumble a lot in my walk with Christ. I mean, everybody stumbles, right?? For me, I've decided that since it's possible for me to replace the lyrics to glorify Christ.. and keep the same beat and style that I like.. then why not, right? I'd much rather use my money (as far as purchasing CD's and products) to support a Christian artist out there trying to spread the word... Plus, I'm a music fanatic... I go around singing, drumming, or an odd combination of several different things almost all the time.. and it makes me feel better if those lyrics are glorifing Christ.. I guess I've decided that for me, and MY walk with Christ.. the secular stuff only hinders my progress.....

As far as condeming someone else for it, or telling them they're wrong....I'll have NO PART in it.. I have far too many areas of my life in which I need to remove the "Logs" from my eye before I go start picking on someone else... I'm not in charge, as long as you're basing your personal decision (and it is a personal one) on what you feel Christ wants you to do.. all power to ya! :D

Love you guys!

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it! :D

MikeMcK
03-30-02, 11:39 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with listening to mainstream music as long as you can discern between the good and the bad.

Other than artists like Randy Stonehill and Daniel Amos and guys like that, I listen almost exclusively to mainstream music. I'd like to listen to more Christian music but they just don't make it in a style that I like.

Mike

http://www.keylife.org

louisa
04-17-02, 12:48 PM
i dont think there is anything wrong with listening to secular music but i prefer listening to christian music. A couple of months back one of the youth leaders at church said that she found herself listening to more and more christian music but it wasnt something that she was striving to do it just happened cos she wanted to spend more and more time with God and i realised that i had been doing the same for a while.
I think its every1s personal choice what they listen to as long as it doesnt take u in the wrong direction i dont c ne thing wrong with it.