PDA

View Full Version : A debate topic ;)

svensky
03-13-02, 07:16 AM
Hi all,

The topic is correct but not in the way I suspect people will think :)

I've been talking with the head pastory type of the AFES group at university (affilitaed with IFES if you know them) , and we've been tossing around the idea of having a debate with the universities atheist society.

I was wondering does anybody have any ideas for a topic in the debate, particularly something they would agree to ?

I was think, either,

How reliable is the Bible ? Kind of bland title, but I suspect they would bite, and we could turn it into an easy win.

More interestingly, "You Bet your life!", a tougher topic, but again I think they would bite, and I suspect we could romp it home.

Any other ideas, not simply ones that would be walk overs either (although they can't hurt).

Jason

Vinnie
03-13-02, 07:43 AM
The Resurrection?

Multimom
03-13-02, 09:36 AM
Possibly, Evidence that Demands a Verdict.

I know its a book title, but it could be an excellent topic as well.

Orpheus42
03-13-02, 11:33 AM
I would go with either the resurrection or the historicity of the gospels.

iluvsnowboardn
03-13-02, 02:21 PM
Evolution versus Creationism. Maybe. I'm not sure. That would be a real challenge.

svensky
03-13-02, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Multimom
Possibly, Evidence that Demands a Verdict.

I know its a book title, but it could be an excellent topic as well.

Thanks everybody. This is a good one, similar to the, "You bet your life" idea.

Jason

svensky
03-13-02, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by iluvsnowboardn
Evolution versus Creationism. Maybe. I'm not sure. That would be a real challenge.

I suspect it would draw a crowd, but the ones i've seen never seem to go anywhere.

You wont convince any die hard scientismists the think at all, and you tend to wind up getting attacked by the christians as well.

If the purpose is outreach these sort of things often go pear shaped.

Jason

Vinnie
03-13-02, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't go with ETDAV, it might push people away....

Ashwee
03-13-02, 05:09 PM
Hmm... I like the one for proof of the validity of the Bible. In the book The Case For Christ, and The Case For Faith, (i forget who wrote it) it talks about the validity of it, and gives proof. Might wanna check it out, its not long either, only about 150 pages, i think.

Nicole
03-13-02, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Jedidiah
Hmm... I like the one for proof of the validity of the Bible. In the book The Case For Christ, and The Case For Faith, (i forget who wrote it) it talks about the validity of it, and gives proof. Might wanna check it out, its not long either, only about 150 pages, i think.

The author is Lee Strobel :)

svensky
03-13-02, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ilgwamh
The Resurrection?
That would be covered in "čou bet your life"

¤n effect " ou bet your life" is an argument over which (given what is at stake) is the best choice as a belief system.

Also a purely ressurection based debate althought covering vital issues, I dont think it would succeed in convincing people of there need to repent (neither would, how reliable is the bible unless a pitch was made at the end).

Jason

trixiepup
03-13-02, 07:59 PM
i think the creation-evolution debate is horribly overdone. i think something from a different topic area would be better. but that's just me, and what i've been exposed to.

Vinnie
03-14-02, 12:19 AM
You can argue the TAG (my personal fav) :D

HeatherlyButterfly
03-14-02, 12:22 AM
Can a perfectly good God exist in an evil world?

Breni Sue
03-14-02, 12:25 AM
I think that would be an excellent topic! :)

HeatherlyButterfly
03-14-02, 12:37 AM
lol.. that's the topic for my paper! but i need more input *hint hint* email me if you have any ideas about the subject and would like my survey

svensky
03-14-02, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by butterfly4God
Can a perfectly good God exist in an evil world?
Thanks.

That is an excellent suggestion and it would actually require us to tell the gospel to make the point :)

Jason

Vinnie
03-14-02, 08:27 PM
*cough*Goddelegatedsomeofhispower*cough*

Man, I need some Halls..... :D

bigkat
03-14-02, 09:06 PM
I think something about the validity of the percieved dichotomy between faith and reason would be good for both sides.