PDA

View Full Version : I have to share this *LOL*

Orpheus42
03-11-02, 02:40 PM
The introductory sentence to my paper for my Gospels class:

The common consensus of Biblical scholarship over the past several years has been that Mark’s Gospel, probably being the earliest of the four canonical Gospels, has the lowest Christology of the four; however, when one examines the scripture carefully in its ancient Jewish context it becomes apparent that the common scholarly opinion misses the mark.
Get it? :rofl:

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

HelenSL
03-11-02, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Orpheus42

Yeah...good one, Jason! :biggrin:

From what I've read, I think the Jesus Seminar might well agree with you ;).

But I suppose you didn't want to use their research to back up your arguments :D

I guess a key may be, whether the end of original Mark is lost or he really didn't have a resurrection account. But it occurred to me just today that if through his gospel he has Jesus predicting his resurrection, then of course he believed in it...duh...regardless of how his gospel ended! Either that or he was portraying Jesus as being wrong in his own prophecies, which seems totally untenable.

Have fun writing it! :)

love
Helen

Orpheus42
03-12-02, 11:43 AM
Actually I'm focusing on Jesus' ministry on earth before the crucifixion ;) I'll send you a copy when it's done if you like. It will be a few weeks before I have the final draft though, this is just the rough draft. I'm on page 10 and I'm about halfway done :rofl:

Dr. Ware, a professor here, has an interesting theory regarding the end of Mark's Gospel. He thinks the scroll (which according to tradition is a summary of Peter's testimony about Jesus) was read up to the point of the empty tomb and then Peter himself gave the account of the resurrection appearances and ascension. Ware thinks that an underground church meeting in Rome was interrupted during Nero's persecution and Peter was arrested- someone escaped with the scroll and so the Gospel text was spread without the account of the resurrection appearances. It's impossible to prove one way or the other, but it's an interesting thought :)

The resurrection is there in Mark, just no resurrection appearances. It seems to leave a gaping hole in the story, which I guess explains why verses 9-20 were added later. However, the fact that there are no resurrection appearances in Mark's Gospel does not at all detract from the magnificent work that exists even today.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

Ann
03-13-02, 04:48 AM
misses the mark :biggrin:

Pelvidar
03-13-02, 07:44 AM
Keep your day job Jason :)

Vinnie
03-13-02, 08:10 AM
Something I said in ODD in the Inerrancy thread about the ending of Mark:

It could be possible "that scribes edited these verses out of those manuscripts because they presented a significant challenge mechanism for critics and non-believers." It is also possible that Mark was interrupted while writing (possibly by death) or that the last leaf of the original copy was lost. We just don't know. There are four endings current among various manuscripts and none of these four endings commends itself as original. Though I think we may (despite the arguments of some scholars) confidently assume Mark did not end with verse 8 (ending with the notion of fear and with the word yap)

I don't have the text but Metzger put fourth an argument that Mark would not end with the word yap.

Orpheus42
03-13-02, 11:32 AM
actually it ends with gar ;) Though it might LOOK like yap in Greek letters- gamma, alpha, rho ;)

Pel, you mean the jokes or the exegesis? ;) :angel:

Breni Sue
03-13-02, 12:59 PM
Oooh, me like, me like! Send me a copy of your paper when you get it done, Jason! ;)

svensky
03-13-02, 03:45 PM
The introductory sentence to my paper for my Gospels class:

:eek:

It would be interesting to read when your done though.

Jason

Vinnie
03-14-02, 08:46 PM
Jason never finishes articles. *cough*reasonandrevelation*cough* :D

Orpheus42
03-16-02, 10:47 AM
Heh this paper is a day late :angel:

Vinnie
03-16-02, 10:55 PM
Heh this paper is a day late

That is a synonym for "point conceded."

:D

Orpheus42
03-17-02, 11:55 AM
I'm finishing it as we speak! :p

Vinnie
03-17-02, 12:00 PM
I'm finishing it as we speak! :p

Yet another synonym for "point conceded" :rofl:

Send it to me when you finish......

Orpheus42
03-17-02, 12:04 PM
Will do, although this is just the first draft. I didn't get most of my interlibrary loan articles until after I started writing, so I'm not going to include them until the final draft.

Vinnie
03-17-02, 11:58 PM
Done yet? ;)

Orpheus42
03-18-02, 06:28 AM
Ummmm... :rofl:

Vinnie
03-18-02, 09:17 AM
:rofl:

Orpheus42
03-18-02, 09:26 AM
It's getting there! :biggrin:

Vinnie
03-18-02, 09:51 AM
I'm not holding my breath ;)

Orpheus42
03-18-02, 04:08 PM
Don't ;)

Vinnie
03-18-02, 06:59 PM
I'm not :eek: :rofl:

Orpheus42
03-18-02, 07:45 PM
Drats! I forgot to save and lost 6 pages!!!

I have four of them back now, though ;)

Vinnie
03-18-02, 11:49 PM
You realize a good word program like Corel Word Perfect automatically saves your document as you go? If the comp crashes you may lose a few sentences or a paragraph but it will be generally in tact. I'm not sure if microsoft word does that ;)

Orpheus42
03-19-02, 01:17 AM
Done at 19 pages- I sent you a copy over email in Word format.

Breni Sue
03-19-02, 02:03 AM
Got my copy...87K!! :eek: I will be doing lots of reading tomorrow, LOL!

Vinnie
03-19-02, 07:38 AM
Okay Glenn Miller.... :D

Orpheus42
03-19-02, 09:20 AM
Heh... :rofl: Actually, I still left several things out but I think I made my point pretty well. I'll probably expand it further for the final draft, but (as I mentioned in a footnote aimed at the professor) I wanted to finish the first draft before the second advent ;)

You'll notice a couple of footnotes geared towards the professor ;)

I've already done some revising- obsessive much? :biggrin:

Nicole
03-19-02, 09:31 AM
I didn't get my copy!! :wah:

Orpheus42
03-19-02, 11:00 AM
All you have to do is ask ;)