PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Poem

Catholic
03-06-02, 08:51 AM
Ok, this is a weird poem a friend sent me. It wasn't for me, hehe. Well, he asked my opinion on it, and I haven't formed one. It's in Olde English, and I don't even know if he used the words properly. It has nothing to do with faith, but I figured I'd post it here anyway.

Any opinions would be helpful because I am completely clueless as to what my reply should be to him. Thanks.

---------------------------

My love for thee is unfailing and eternal,
Prevailing against the world and its cruelty.
A sweet kiss from thy lips wouldst bring life,
Thou givest thyself in a tender embrace.
Such a longing I have to glance in thine eyes,
To seeth a reflection of mine endless adoration.
This scene doth only occureth in dreams,
With thy true self absent apart from my thoughts.
I wilst readily sacrifice my very life at this moment,
If only die with thine adorable face gazing down at me.

Breni Sue
03-09-02, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a beautiful poem, Liza. But I am with you, I am having a hard time forming an opinion on it. Did your friend happen to say who or what inspired it?

trixiepup
03-11-02, 04:09 AM
i like it. i think it captures longing and love accurately, at least in my experiences.

did he write it, or was it just something he found?

to me, it sounds like a modern poem trying to be old. like the renaissance faire 'ye olde' stuff.

if you don't know what to think of it, tell him that. tell him, i really have no clue about old english poetry, so i can't make an intelligent decision about it right now.

but after looking at this site: http://www.mun.ca/Ansaxdat/vocab/wordlist.html
it doesn't seem that my suggestion is wholly correct, because old english seems far more complicated than the poem you posted.

Catholic
03-13-02, 04:44 PM
Thanks. :)

I don't know where it came from. Honestly, I haven't talk to him in a while. I do appreciate the comments, so I'll make a weird little e-mail to him. Thanks especially for the site! :-D