PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Sermon 03-01-02 [Living It Part 3]

ISDAMan
03-01-02, 11:09 PM
Fellow FNSers, It's good to be back. The wedding was wonderful. The honeymoon was fantastic and we're doing great! I'll have to admit it's hard getting back into the swing of things but I'm eager. So, let's get on with it.

It's a rampant thought that the creation of man by God was, in some way, God reaching out to create a legacy in progeny for Himself. Yet, Christ showed us, in the parable of the True Vine, that we (Christians) are to be more than just the product of God. We are to be joined together with God; not being God; being of God. The image of a relationship is obvious though, perhaps, not readily seen through simple human eyes. For, it's not only a relationship of interaction that is shown. It is a relationship of function. Think of a woman and her pace maker. They are two things joined together though not of the same substance as they work together through her body to give her more abundant life. Though this example is limited in its ability to show the nature of the relationship God wants with us, it does give us a good idea.

In the last FNS, we talked about this relationship. We also talked about thought life. All along, we've also talked about faith. Remember these quotes? "When we have faith, we are in submission to and enveloped by the thing in which we choose to be nurtured by. To have faith is to say, "I set my hope here! This is where my sustenance will come from!", and, "Thought life is the bridge between Prayer with God and the Power of the Indwelling Holy spirit that regulates our will to be submissive to and affected by the very nature of God."

In keeping with this, I need to talk more about thought. Thought is to faith what the atom is to the molecule. Thoughts are the building blocks of all faith. Whether the faith is good or bad, or tiny or great, it is a composition of thought that gives faith existence. BTW, this very fact is a real problem for those of us that think that God takes away the free will of a Christian. Why? The Bible is keen to teach us to be willing and wanting to think right thoughts.

Romans 12:2

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Hebrews 12:1-3

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

God, our creator, knows that we are creatures of thought. Some, claiming to be scientific often criticize the Bible because of the aspect of faith. They have a problem with what they see as a non-scientific method of trust (usually never admitting that they too have faith; simply misguided). Let me tell you this. The Bible shows us that the ways of man are not above the ways of God and God has been doing what man thought he discovered long before man ever went looking for it. A common practice of the scientific method is to set a baseline or a control. You need to know what zero or normal is in order to set a value to anything else. Right there in Hebrews, we have the baseline and the control of a Christian's faith. God is telling us to fix our minds on Jesus. Jesus is how we set our scales. Jesus is the normal Christian. If there were any way to boil Christianity down to a science the only residue to be left would be Jesus! What would be left if we were boiled down? Have we, by the renewing of our minds, more greatly fixed our faith on Jesus?

So, now, we're itching for some success in faith. I could say to do this and I could say to do that and I could give you all sorts of formulas to having "Successful & Prosperous Faith" as some liars have been known to do. Rather, I'll tell you the truth. God speaks in a still small voice and if you'll be still long enough to listen, you'll hear hear Him telling you that, whatever it takes to bring you to the faith He would have of you, He already has it accomplished, has it working in your life, or has it ready to begin! It doesn't matter what it is. If it's good for you and it's in His will, what did Jesus say?

Matthew 6:33

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

It's high time that we learn to live the old Hymn:

Trust and obey
For for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus
but to trust and obey

So, we come back to the old time wisdom of the struggling tree. Will positive thinking bring about the fruit of the spirit? The Bible does tell us to think on good things. Well now, does the Bible also tell us to be good thinkers because God is a good thinker? Nope! As wonderful as it is to be positive, Jesus, the focus of a Christianity, is more than a good thinker. It is not enough to simply be a good person. The Word of God calls us to the high standard of being like Christ! We are to be Holy as Christ, God in the flesh, is Holy. Why?

2 Corinthians 6:14

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

God wants a personal relationship of substance with each and every one of us! He draws us out of the death and decay of a sinful world and wants to give us more than stuff and success and good health. He wants to give us life more abundantly.

1 Peter 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

If this is our goal, like the example, a few weeks ago, of the plant that could think, should we not also think on the things that we need to get us there?

Should we work hard because the Bible tells us that faith without works is dead? Nope! We should work hard because the the Bible tells us that we are saved by grace through faith. Good works are an outcroping of that, with the works being empowered by God though the Holy Spirit.

There's another song that comes to mind. It has a simple phrase:

All that you need is Jesus

How do we get Jesus in our lives and have a right relationship with God that produces the fruit of the Spirit? Have faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross. Somebody out there might still be thinking that thats only the way to the relationship. To you, I say again:

Hebrews 12:1-3

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

Faith, like love (real love), is a chosen state of being.

Isaiah 50:7, NLT

Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be dismayed. Therefore, I have set my face like a stone, determined to do his will. And I know that I will triumph.

Be like Jesus! Let your proper thoughts of God, who tells us the truth of Himself, be the bricks of your faith. God does not want blind faith. He has no part with fools. All throughout the Bible, He gives evidences, and even in nature, for our good thinking, so that we might have faith in Him and come to trust in Jesus! God is not challenged by, nor is He afraid of anyone checking to see if He is true to His Word and His Promises. Feel free. Taste and see that the Lord is Good and think accordingly. Soon as you can, taste again!

Psalms 34:1-10

1 I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2 My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. 3 O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together. 4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. 5 They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed. 6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. 7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them. 8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. 9 O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him. 10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing.

Yet another song comes to mind.

Bless the LORD
Oh my soul
And all that is within me
Bless His Holy Name
He has done great things
He has done great things
He has done great things
Bless His Holy Name

Psalms 150: 1 - 6

1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. 2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. 3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. 4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. 5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. 6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

What better way could there be to set our thoughts straight? Let me remind you once more. By God's design, we are supposed to exude and reflect the very image, nature, and power of God. To do this, we know that we must abide in Christ and Christ in us. God has thought enough to die for us. Will we think enough to live for Him?

Praise Ye The Lord! Hallelujah
ISDAMan

Orpheus42
03-02-02, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear things are well! God bless you both :)

And as usual, I needed to hear the FNS. Keep it up! :)

ISDAMan
03-04-02, 12:01 AM
We thank you so very much!!!

And, as usual, I needed to hear such a good reply.

God Bless you friend,
ISDAMan