PDA

View Full Version : Bible Trivia anyone?

Breni Sue
02-23-02, 11:57 AM
We had a game similar to this on another message board, so I thought it might be interesting to try it here.

OK, this is how it goes: Someone starts off with a question related to the bible (it can be anything, as long as it is biblical). The 1st person who answers correctly - which must be affirmed by the asker of the question - gets to ask the next question, and so forth. If after 2 days nobody has answered correctly, that person can either ask another question or choose someone at random to ask the next one.

You are encouraged to make the questions challenging, but don't make them too hard, not all of us here are bible scholars, you know! ;) ) I'll make the 1st one a no-brianer though, just to get the ball rolling!

*What 3 disciples were with Jesus during his transfiguration?*

PS - let's try to keep this as on-topic as possible, lest you incur the wrath of the moderating staff! :stinkeye: ;)

Have fun!

Codger
02-23-02, 01:30 PM
Dear Kyrie,

Ok I'll play - Peter James and John.

Did I win the new car or the camper.

Larry in semi Beautiful NE Ohio

Breni Sue
02-23-02, 06:59 PM
Actually, you get the privilegde of asking the next question! :D (I can't afford to give away cars or campers, but you may have some cookies if you like! ;) )

Codger
02-26-02, 08:39 AM
Dear kyrie and all,

Tollhouse - I hope?

Sorry for the delay - was under the weather fo a couple days.

Question:

1. There is more than one rider on a white horse in the Bible. What is the title name given to the rider that is mentioned last? (4 words - NIV)

OR if you like more of a challenge answer this one instead..

2. What is the name of the extrabiblical book mentioned in both Joshua and 2 Samuel?

Either one will do.

Larry

Lawrence
02-27-02, 08:57 PM
1. KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS (more than 4?)
2. Book of Jasher

Codger
02-28-02, 02:48 PM
Dear Lawrence,

REV 19:13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is (the Word of God).

16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:

(KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS).

I was looking for, "the word of God" But since I did use the word "title" - both of your answers are correct.

Please post the next question.

Good job!

Larry

Lawrence
02-28-02, 10:20 PM
Oh...well, I got one right. I didn't read far enough.

Our Lord was right when He said "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. "

Question:
Name the four half brothers of Jesus.

Caretaker
03-01-02, 08:02 AM
James, Joses, Simon, and Judas Mark 6:3 Matt. 13:55

Caretaker
03-01-02, 05:03 PM
Mark 6:

Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Orpheus42
03-01-02, 06:55 PM
As per the moderator's request to keep things on-topic, I have deleted some off-topic posts in this thread. If you feel like something stated in the trivia is worth discussing, please do it in another thread.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

Catholic
03-01-02, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Orpheus42
As per the moderator's request to keep things on-topic, I have deleted some off-topic posts in this thread. If you feel like something stated in the trivia is worth discussing, please do it in another thread.

Jason

Simply delightful.

Flannel Avenger
03-05-02, 11:52 AM
I have a good one from middle school :D

Why didn't Moses take hornets on the Ark?

Breni Sue
03-05-02, 11:52 PM
Hey Caretaker! Since Lawrence hasn't been around to confirm your answer, you may go ahead and ask the next question! :)

Caretaker
03-06-02, 08:16 AM
Thank you Kyrie.

I have an easy one to keep the flow going. (KJV)

Q: Look in the 7th book, but "Judge" not too harshly, and investigate carefully and find who "nailed" Sisera, before Debbie and Barak's daring duet.

iluvsnowboardn
03-07-02, 02:35 PM
Jael. (She was so cool)

Caretaker
03-07-02, 02:46 PM
Well done iluvsnowboardn and welcome to ILJ Boards. You must have had a great snowboarding season. Your turn to ask the Bible trivia question, and keep the thread going. Way to go and may God bless.

iluvsnowboardn
03-07-02, 04:46 PM
^^^^Actually, I haven't gone at all this season, yet, although at the end of this month I will be hitting the slopes again. (My parents don't like to ski, and they aren't too interested in driving me up there, so...

Okay, now to ask my question, uh...

How many days was Jesus hear on this earth after he rose from the grave? And, for extra credit, how many people saw him?

Lindz
03-07-02, 05:06 PM
40 days and for the extra credit I would say we don't know (Luke 24:9 "When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others.") because we don't know how many all the others are.

iluvsnowboardn
03-07-02, 05:47 PM
And 40 days is..........................

Right!

Hehe, I thought that 500 people approximately saw him afterward, but I wasn't quite sure. That's one reason why I posted the question, to see what the answer was. Well, you got it right, so you have the power!

Lindz
03-07-02, 06:07 PM
Ohk-y day...

Simon Peter cut the ear off of the high priest's servant when Jesus was arrested. What was the servant's name?

Caretaker
03-07-02, 06:28 PM
iluvsnowboardn:

Hehe, I thought that 500 people approximately saw him afterward, but I wasn't quite sure. That's one reason why I posted the question, to see what the answer was.

__________________________________________________ ___________

1 Corinthians 15:
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

angelshine: Ohk-y day...

Simon Peter cut the ear off of the high priest's servant when Jesus was arrested. What was the servant's name?

John 18:
Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.

May God bless.

Lindz
03-07-02, 06:53 PM
*applauds*
Good job Drew! Your turn now.

Caretaker
03-07-02, 08:05 PM
Thank you, thank you.....*small bow*....:>)

Next question without further ado:

What were the names of the children of Rachel with Jacob, one who had a colorful wardrobe?

iluvsnowboardn
03-07-02, 10:12 PM
Joseph and Benjamin.

Caretaker
03-09-02, 12:02 AM
Well done iluvsnowboardn., your turn....*applause*

May God bless.

iluvsnowboardn
03-09-02, 12:46 AM
What are the names of ALL of Jacob's kids. Everyone of them, by all four wives.

Orpheus42
03-10-02, 04:38 PM
Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Napthali, Issachar, Asher, Dan, Gad, Zebulun, Judah, Joseph, Benjamin.

Hope that wasn't supposed to be in any particular order ;)

iluvsnowboardn
03-10-02, 11:12 PM
No, I didn't care about any patricular order. That was good. Except you forgot one. One more.

Orpheus42
03-11-02, 10:10 AM
Oh, I forgot Dinah.

iluvsnowboardn
03-12-02, 03:40 PM
Yep, thats it. You got it.

Breni Sue
03-20-02, 01:59 AM
*bump*

Somebody forgot to ask the next question *coughJasoncough* :D

Orpheus42
03-20-02, 06:05 AM
Sorry! :(

Hmm.... what to ask...

Who does Paul identify as apostles, other than the Twelve?

Jason

Breni Sue
03-29-02, 09:34 PM
Had to do some digging for this because my bible group just studied this not too long ago.

I believe that Mark, Luke and Timothy were 3 that he named. Are there more? I'm thinking that maybe Aristarchus, Demas and Tychicus were named by him also, but I'm not positive about those! :)

Lawrence
03-30-02, 08:56 AM
Himself...

Orpheus42
03-30-02, 05:07 PM
That's not all ;)

Kyrie, you need to be sure about your answers ;)

Breni Sue
03-30-02, 05:15 PM
Hey, there is no rule here that says you have to sure, just correct! (Remember who started this thread! :p )

Some hints, maybe?

Orpheus42
03-30-02, 05:39 PM
The answers are all in the New Testament, and Paul's epistles even.

cujo95
04-01-02, 12:15 AM
There were two tribes of Israel that were not named for sons of Jacob.
Who were they?

Breni Sue
04-01-02, 12:21 AM
Cujo - We should probably wait until someone answers Jason's question correctly 1st, or until he chooses to pass the next question onto someone else (per the rules). We don't want things to get too confusing! ;)

Orpheus42
04-01-02, 05:33 AM
If no one has it by the time I'm done with class at 2 pm my time tomorrow, I'll post the answer and pass the torch to cujo :)

Breni Sue
04-03-02, 11:59 AM
Got the answer for us, Jason? That must have really been a tough question there LOL! But hey, I tried! ;)

(PS anyone can jump in on Cujo's question now if they want! :) )

Orpheus42
04-03-02, 08:25 PM
D'oh! I forgot about this! :rofl:

himself (several times)
Andronicus and Junias (or Junia, depending on which translation you have- Romans 16:7)
I would also have taken James the brother of Jesus because in Galatians 1:19 Paul seems to make James equal with the apostles, and church tradition also makes James an apostle. However, James would not have been necessary to get the correct answer.

Cujo's turn :)

Jason

Ashwee
04-06-02, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by cujo95
There were two tribes of Israel that were not named for sons of Jacob.
Who were they?

Manasseh and Ephraim

Breni Sue
04-11-02, 07:38 AM
*bump*

Is this correct, Cujo? :)

Orpheus42
04-11-02, 09:31 AM
*whispers loudly across the room* yes ;)

cujo95
04-11-02, 11:01 PM
Of course it's correct. (Gen 48:1, Num 13:8 and 11)

Ashwee
04-11-02, 11:57 PM
Alrghty... I'm gonna do a tuff one...

What Bible character had neither a father nor mother, is mentioned eleven times in Scripture, was not born and did not die?

Have fun!

Lawrence
04-12-02, 07:54 AM
Melchisedec...

Flannel Avenger
04-12-02, 04:19 PM
I'm gonna go with Gabriel, or perhaps Michael.

Only Angels had neither a father nor a mother and never died.

Ashwee
04-12-02, 04:52 PM
Yup, lawrence got it right!

Flannel.... thou dost stinketh. :) j/k

Flannel Avenger
04-12-02, 05:01 PM
Gen 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High.

Melchizedek was the king of Salem, how do you get he didn't have a father or a mother and he never died?

Lawrence
04-12-02, 08:15 PM
Read Hebrews Chapter 7

Ashwee
04-12-02, 11:27 PM
yo man! ya forgot to post a question!!! :)

Lawrence
04-12-02, 11:51 PM
Easy one.....who was Peter's brother?

Orpheus42
04-13-02, 07:47 PM
Andrew :biggrin:

Lawrence
04-13-02, 11:37 PM
Yep!
Mat 4:18 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother,

Orpheus42
04-14-02, 11:09 PM
What are two extra stories added to Daniel in the Septuagint (LXX)?

Flannel Avenger
04-14-02, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Lawrence
Read Hebrews Chapter 7

Hebrews 7:6 But the one whose genealogy is not traced from them collected a tenth from Abraham, and blessed the one who had the promises

It seems to me that the "No Father or Mother and never died" is referencing the lack of geneology, not actually a lack of parentage or a failure to die.

St_Tikhon
04-15-02, 12:42 PM
Orpheus42,

Might you be refering to "The History of Susanna" and "Bel and the Dragon?"

Peace

Orpheus42
04-15-02, 12:43 PM
That works, I seem to remember there being a third addition found in some manuscripts but can't remember for sure off the top of my head. Those will work for an answer though :)

Jason

St_Tikhon
04-15-02, 01:04 PM
WoooHoooo! I'm da man! Yessir! Uh-huh!

Ahem. Okay, I'm better now.:D

So, who was Azariah? (His other name, I mean)

Orpheus42
04-15-02, 01:54 PM
Since you said "his other name" I'm guessing you mean Uzziah, who was king of Judah and died in the year Isaiah was called (Isaiah 6:1).

There was also another Azariah who was the son of Zadok the Priest (1 Kings 4:2), an Azariah son of Nathan (1 Kings 4:5), an Azariah who was a prophet to Asa (2 Chron. 15:1) and there are others I'm sure.

Jason

St_Tikhon
04-15-02, 03:04 PM
Okay, none of those was what I was loking for, but since I'm such a dolt, I'll let it pass.

Play on Orpheus. You're next. Go with a question.

P.S. MY Azzariah was part of a quartet that took it's act on the road, as it were. After dropping one member, the other three played one real hot joint, but remained cool. In the middle of the set, they added a fourth. Some in the crowd were overcome!
(Oo, oo, oo, oo, stayin' alive, stayin' alive....)

Orpheus42
04-15-02, 03:08 PM
Ah, gotcha. I wouldn't have thought Azariah would be such a popular name either.

Hmmm... what to ask....

On Mount Carmel, after Elijah's had just totally kicked the snot out of that of the priests of Baal, what word did the Israelites chant? One word, translated as a sentence in most English Bibles. Elijah was such a cool guy, this one should be easy to figure out :cool:

Jason

St_Tikhon
04-15-02, 03:31 PM
Yaweh elohyim

The Lord, He is God.

Pardon me, my Hebrew is not good.

Orpheus42
04-15-02, 03:38 PM
Close, but not quite :)

Elijah was one cool dude.

Jason

Orpheus42
04-17-02, 08:04 AM
The answer is "Elijah" which means "YHWH is God" :biggrin:

St. T you got the next go-round :)

Jason

St_Tikhon
04-17-02, 10:13 AM
What great event took place right after the death of Methusilah (sp)?

Breni Sue
04-30-02, 04:35 AM
I'm surprised no one answered this yet!

The Great Flood! :D

St_Tikhon
04-30-02, 06:51 AM
That's it. You're next.

Breni Sue
05-03-02, 01:27 AM
Yippie! :D

OK, I got one!

Which prophet was the son of Hannah and Elkanah? (Come on guys, don't let me down! ;) )

Flannel Avenger
05-03-02, 10:20 AM
Samuel

Breni Sue
05-04-02, 12:37 AM
You got it, Flannel! It be your turn! ;)

Flannel Avenger
05-04-02, 02:27 PM
I WIN!!!

Whoopsie, wrong thread ;)

hmm, I want to think of a really hard one that will make people think...

ok, I think I've got a good question. A theophany is any appearance of God in visible form. I have 7 references of a theophany at my fingertips (which is not to say there are more, but these ones are indisputable). Anyway, here's the question

Name 3 theophanies from the Old Testament and give references.

Kristine
05-06-02, 11:40 PM
In Leviticus 16:2 God appeared 'in the cloud over the atonement cover' (that's why Moses was told he couldn't just come when he pleased into the Most Holy Place behind the curtain.

In Genesis 32: (24-30) Jacob wrestled with God and called the place Peniel "Because I saw God face to face and yet my life was spared."

In Exodus 19, At Mount Sinai, the Lord appeared to Moses in a dense cloud.

In Exodus 33:17-23 Moses sees the Lord's back as 'his glory' passes in front of him.

Other examples would likely include God calling out to Moses from within the burning bush, God looking down through the fire and cloud that led Isreal out of Egypt (although both these cases mention 'the angel of the Lord' some say this is an incarnation of Jesus.) God's presence was also said to be in the ark of the covenant.

Anhow, I think I got enough to pass this one.
So what are the other ones?

Kristine

Kristine
05-06-02, 11:46 PM
I forgot to add the next question so here goes:

Who hardened Pharoah's heart?

Breni Sue
05-07-02, 01:10 AM
You have to wait until Flannel confirms your answer before you ask the next question. ;)

But in any case, I do know this one, but I'll wait until Flannel comes back in and then give someone else a chance to answer Kristine's question.

Flannel Avenger
05-07-02, 09:14 AM
Yeah, you're right. The appearance of the Angel of the LORD is most likely the only theophany (but I can't be 100% sure).

Gen 16:7-13 Angel of the LORD and Hagar

Gen 22:11-18 Abraham, Isaac, & Sacrifice. The Angel that appears is God

Gen 31:11-13 Jacob, Angel of the LORD identifies Himself as God

Ex 3:1ff. Burning Bush was Angel of the LORD

Ex 13:21-22 cf 14:19 Pillar of Fire was Angel of the LORD

Judges 6:11-23 Angel of the LORD meets Gideon, refers to Him as Jehovah

Judges 13:9-20 Angel of the LORD meets Sampson's parents

Additionally, we know from John 1:18 that nobody has seen the Father or the Holy Spirit except for Christ, so that means that these appearances of God in the Old Testament were preincarnate appearances of Christ :D

Ashwee
05-12-02, 12:32 PM
In answer to Kristine's question...

Why, it was God himself! :biggrin:

Kristine
05-13-02, 11:03 PM
You're half right, but I'll give it to you. It was actually both God and Pharoah. Pharoah hardenned his heart first and God hardenned it latter.

It always struck me as funny how God would do that in a man's heart. It opens up a whole can of 'double predestination' concepts. God working his way in his creation to save whom he will and harden the rest (see Romans 9:15-24)

But that'll be something we'll save for another post.

Ok your turn.

Ashwee
05-16-02, 05:57 PM
Jesus cursed 3 cities... what were they?

Ashwee
05-21-02, 09:37 PM
Cmon guys! This one is easy!!! *coughlookaroundmatthew11cough*

Breni Sue
05-22-02, 02:24 AM
Korazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum. :)

(PS - we need to start getting more folks in here to play this thing! Either that or more people who know their bible trivia! ;) )

Ashwee
05-23-02, 05:23 PM
Yes! Agreed! This thing takes bout a week just to get a question answered... and then another week just for a reply on whether its right or not! Then add on top of that another week for somebody to post a new question...

Sheesh! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

BTW- You got it girl!

Breni Sue
05-24-02, 01:38 AM
OK, I'm going to make this an easy one for you slackers out there! ;)

What man was referred to as "the weeping prophet"?

Kristine
05-24-02, 02:22 AM
Jeremiah, of course :)

I think what might speed things up in here is if the person who guesses gets to put a new question right away, the way they do in the slogan game in Teens. You might find more participants if the game doens't move so slowly.

That way you don't have all that idling as you wait for affirmation (usually you know it's going to be right or you wouldn't be posting) and the game can move on. If the one who posted the question is absent for a while, it's no wonder the game takes so long to move. If one person leaves for a few days, it's not fair to let the game grind to a halt until they return - just my thoughts anyway.

(And in the event the answer given was wrong, the person who posted the question pops back in later and says nope try again or gives the answer - at worst you have two unanswered questions on the go at the same time, but it doesn't happen often)

But until I get permission from others to do so, I'll sit here and wait before posting a new question.

Kristine

Breni Sue
05-24-02, 02:24 PM
I think what might speed things up in here is if the person who guesses gets to put a new question right away, the way they do in the slogan game in Teens. Well, then we run into the problem of, what if the person is wrong? Then whoever may have actually had the right answer but maybe didn't get to post it in time doesn't get their turn. That has happened a couple times in the Slogan game, which was why I chose to do it this way instead. But eh, I may just consider re-thinking the rules if it will speed things along. We'll see. ;)

In any case, you got the answer, Kristine! Your turn! :)

Kristine
05-24-02, 03:25 PM
This might be a bit of a toughie, or maybe not when you consider recent history in the thread ;)

Which prophet was thrown into Malkijah's cistern?

Kristine
05-30-02, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Kristine
This might be a bit of a toughie, or maybe not when you consider recent history in the thread ;)

Which prophet was thrown into Malkijah's cistern?

I guess no one got that hint, so I'll help you out.

It's either

a) Isaiah or
b) Jeremiah

Ashwee
05-30-02, 04:33 PM
Jeremiah!

So they took Jeremiah and put him into the cistern of Malkijah, the king's son, which was in the courtyard of the guard. They lowered Jeremiah by ropes into the cistern; it had no water in it, only mud, and Jeremiah sank down into the mud. -Jeremiah 38:6

Kristine
06-19-02, 05:01 AM
Yes. It was Jeremiah. Sorry about that, folks. I let the ball drop on Bible trivia by not going back to check the correct answer.

This is actually a good example of why we shouldn't have to wait on the other person to give their ok before the person posts a new question - what if I lost internet access or stopped coming to ILJ for some reason? You'd never get to play the game again.

Anyway, sorry again. Jed, it's your turn.

Kristine

Nicole
06-19-02, 06:54 AM
Krisitine - that made me laugh - it was just so dramatic!

Breni Sue
06-19-02, 01:54 PM
Actually, I had intended to come in here the other day and give Ashley the go-ahead to ask the next question. But for some reason it totally slipped my mind! Maybe a revision of the rules should be in order afterall. ;)

Ashwee
06-19-02, 10:58 PM
O dear!

I am sooo sorry, I had compeltely forgotten that I got it right!!!

DURRR!!! :dunce:

Hmm...

ok: What was the name of the wilderness in which John the Baptist preached?

Breni Sue
07-12-02, 04:18 AM
*bump*

Ashwee
07-14-02, 08:42 PM
Alright, since nobody knew mine, it was dead for about forever, the next person that reads this can post a question.

Breni Sue
07-19-02, 03:21 AM
Aren't you gonna give us the answer, Ash? ;)

OK, since nobody else is willing to ask another question, I thought of one last night while reading through my bible:

"What names were Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego originally known by?"

PS - whoever answers this can go right ahead and ask the next one! :) )

Sny
07-19-02, 07:14 AM
Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah

Who was Eliab's youngest brother?

dorfsmith
07-19-02, 11:42 AM
Answer: King David.

What prophet called bears out of the woods to eat the children who called him bald?

Flannel Avenger
07-19-02, 06:10 PM
Elisha.

dorfsmith
07-19-02, 06:15 PM
You got it. I was named after him but I'm not bald.

Flannel Avenger
07-19-02, 08:39 PM
Oh joy! I got it right :D

Now I need a good question...

How many miracles did Elisha perform?

Sny
07-21-02, 03:16 AM
32, twice as many as Elijah.

The first three books of the NT, Matthew, Mark, and Luke, are referred to as what?

Ashwee
07-22-02, 02:51 AM
What was the name of the wilderness in which John the Baptist preached?

The answer to this one was: The Wilderness of Judea.... i think...

Is the answer to yours the Synoptic Gospels?

Im not gonna post another question because Im not sure its right.

Sny
07-22-02, 03:56 AM
You're right, again! (see 20 questions thread)

You may go ahead and post your next question.

Ashwee
07-24-02, 03:02 PM
Unless the LORD had left them survivors, according to Isaiah, which two famous cities would Israel have been like?

Breni Sue
07-25-02, 01:44 AM
Sodom and Gomorrah

Who was told by the soldiers to carry Jesus' cross on the way to His crucifixion?

Breni Sue
08-14-02, 03:33 AM
C'mon guys! This isn't so hard!

*coughMatthewchapter27Lukechapter23cough*
;)

Nicole
08-14-02, 08:28 AM
Simon!

. . . I think

lol

Breni Sue
08-15-02, 01:27 AM
Aren't you gonna ask the next question? ;) I think I revoked the rule awhile back about waiting for confirmation before asking another question. If I didn't, well then consider this my official announcement! :D

Ashwee
08-15-02, 06:09 AM
:D

Nicole
08-15-02, 07:49 AM
Oh - does that mean I got it right? lol

great..now I have to think of a question - I'm horrible at that

I'll get back to ya ;)

Torahteen
08-15-02, 02:17 PM
How long do we have to wait for you Nicole?!:redhotmad