PDA

View Full Version : Christian Activism

Hook
02-18-02, 10:13 AM
Does the Bible call Christians to be social activists?

E-Nygma
02-18-02, 10:40 AM
Not from what I see.

svensky
02-18-02, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Hook
Does the Bible call Christians to be social activists?
Depends what you mean by activist.

Jason

selah
02-18-02, 02:07 PM
yes and no.

Clearly, the message of the Bible is that eternal salvation is important above all earthly matters. But then there is also the issue that in Matthew 25 Jesus clearly tells us that whatever we do to "the smallest of these" we do unto him. He also said the greatest commandment is to love; first God and then one another.

That means to me that when we become activists to change certain social institutions so that we are feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, etc. we are obeying Jesus' command. We are showing love in a very tangible, active way and we are also living Matthew 25. The best example I can think of is Martin Luther King Jr. His social activism to make things (more) equal between black and white people in America led to a better life for many people. I think that God was pleased with that outcome.

Then there is also the message in the Bible to rejoice in your afflictions, for slaves to obey their masters, etc. I think what this seeming "contradiction" means is that God is a multi-faceted God. Sometimes, it is important for people just to accept the way things are and to rejoice in the hope of eternal joy in relationshiip with our Creator. And other times, God will call us to change a situation on earth that is hurting people whom he loves.

Kathryn