PDA

View Full Version : Is the holy spirit and it , a comment!

svensky
02-17-02, 08:27 PM
Hi all,

I put this in its own thread so everybody might see it.

Orpheus and Eternix had a short lived "friendly discussion" over wether or not the holy spirit is an it.

In response to that, may I simply cite the following.

"But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless."Titus 3:9 (http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?passage=titus+3%3A9&NIV_version=yes&NASB_version=yes&NLT_version=yes&KJV_version=yes&NKJV_version=yes&RSV_version=yes&KJ21_version=yes&WE_version=yes&YLT_version=yes&DARBY_version=yes&ASV_version=yes&AMP_version=yes&showfn=yes&language=english)

Anyway, just something to keep in mind. BTW the link connects to a bunch of different translations of the same verse in case you dont like the NIV.

Jason

Orpheus42
02-18-02, 07:36 PM
That's why I dropped it ;)

gzuznme
02-18-02, 07:45 PM
Genesis 1:26 reads Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image according to Our likeness....

The Holy Spirit is not an it, He is part of the Trinity, Father Son and the Holy Ghost. The Holy Spirit is a "He"

svensky
02-18-02, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by gzuznme
Genesis 1:26 reads Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image according to Our likeness....

The Holy Spirit is not an it, He is part of the Trinity, Father Son and the Holy Ghost. The Holy Spirit is a "He"

Did you actually read what I wrote :confused::confused::confused:

Jason

Pelvidar
02-18-02, 09:35 PM
A male is only known to be male by it's physical limitations. Unless you believe that the Holy Spirit can be defined by finite human limitations, than in truth, the Holy Spirit is not a "he" as we know it.

People like to say "he" cause it makes the Holy Spirit "feel" more personal to them.... but we're not talking about feelings, we're talking about the nature of the Holy Spirit. A limitless being can not be male or female, because both those terms dictate human limitations.

Yes, jason, I read your post :) But sometimes I indulge myself and engage in foolish discussions :)

Caretaker
02-18-02, 11:36 PM
John 14:

16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another
Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because
it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he
dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

We believe that the Holy Spirit is not merely an influence, but a divine Person;
that He is the source and power of all acceptable worship and service and is
our abiding Counselor and Helper. We believe that the baptism of the Holy
Spirit occurs at the moment of conversion and is that act whereby believers
are united with Christ as part of His body; that the Holy Spirit permanently
indwells all believers in Christ; that He will never depart from the Church nor
from the weakest believer; that by His indwelling the believer is enabled to
live a godly life. John 14:16,17; 16:13-15; Acts 1:8; 5:3,4; Romans 8:9; I
Corinthians 6:19; 12:13; Galatians 5:22,23.

My Lord referred to the Comforter, the indwelling presence of God as He and so I can do no less in regards to the third divine personage of the Triune God.

Pelvidar
02-18-02, 11:59 PM
I don't think people are perpetuating a lie to call the Holy Spirit a he (I recognize how this makes the Holy Sprit more relatable... even if the description is not literaly true).

As long as we recognize that it is equally relevant to recognize that the Holy Spirit is not bound by gender limitations, and therefore it is equally "true" to refer to the Holy Spirit as "it".

Caretaker
02-19-02, 12:57 AM
For myself it is most important to retain the "fear of the Lord", the essence of reverential awe as we come before almighty God, through our Lord Jesus Christ. As we go to our Heavenly Father in our prayers, we refer to He who is omniscience, omnipotent, and omnipresent. The Holy Spirit, being the full and active force of our Heavenly Father, should be held in the same reverential awe, as we hold the Father and the Son, all fully God. The perception being that it is far more respectful and accurate to refer to the Holy Spirit, who indwells all believers, as He rather than an it. For He that is within me is stronger than he that is within the world.

Breni Sue
02-19-02, 02:12 AM
"But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless." Exactly.

Let's try to not make this another "gender of God" discussion, guys. This one can wait until ODD is reopened. Thanks ;)

Pelvidar
02-19-02, 08:55 AM
*sigh*

When it opens, indeed....

Orpheus42
02-19-02, 09:48 AM
I'm only going to respond if someone tries to slag me for saying it's not bad to call the Spirit "it". I have no problem with calling the Spirit "he".

svensky
02-19-02, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Pelvidar
*sigh*

When it opens, indeed....
Any news there BTW ?

I know the mods said they would give news when news is available, but this silence makes it seem that ODD will never be back, and the mods are just waiting for everybody to forget about it.

Jason

Pelvidar
02-19-02, 04:59 PM
svensky: "I know the mods said they would give news when news is available, but this silence makes it seem that ODD will never be back, and the mods are just waiting for everybody to forget about it."

The things people say.... :rolleyes:

If I wanted people to forget about it, would I be posting comments about it every day? :)

Final time: THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY :)

Okay?

As soon as I know one way or the other I will shout it from the roof-tops. Promise.

Multimom
02-19-02, 05:40 PM
As of this date, the Administration has not given the moderators any set time frame for the re-opening of the ODD forum.

They are still weighing and considering the direction of that board.

Trust me, when we know we will let you know.

svensky
02-19-02, 06:45 PM
Final time: THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY :)

Okay?

Just like there are no aliens in area 51, oswald shot kennedy and flourine in the drinking water doesn't make you easier to control ?

:D

Jason

Pelvidar
02-19-02, 07:55 PM
LOL :) You nut :D

Eternix
02-20-02, 08:46 AM
Christ only called the Holy Ghost, He. And those who have the mind of Christ will too. Every one has already proofed that He, the Spirit of truth, is indeed a He, so I am done.

Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost
The Holy Ghost is the third PERSON of the Trinity

Eternix:angel: