PDA

View Full Version : The Fall Of Q

Pelvidar
02-14-02, 12:44 PM
The Fall Of Q
An excercise in myth - inspired by the works of Tolkien

This is the tale of the First Age, in which the Quam'tabul was formed and peace was sundered from the realm of the living.

No record remains of the first days, but it has long been rumoured that the two Formati first discoverd Iculum when their own realm fell under a deep sleep. They were called upon in later times by many names, but knew themselves by two names alone: Quiris and Dulcedo.

In Quiris was found the qualities of mediation, restraint, and patience. In Dulcedo, love, compassion and depth abounded. And from these, the things that would come, were prepared.

When the Formati came to Iculum there was a great drought upon the land, and the kingdoms of Iculum were cold and hardened to the needy, serving only the few they could, and putting out all others. And from this visage Dulcedo's heart was moved, and she searched the lands of Iculum for a place to build a kingdom that would bring hope to the suffering.

So it was that the Formati worked to the extent of their craft, fashioning a fortified city which they called Quam'tabul. And within the realm they placed borders for twelve cities. Each city was given to its own purpose and meaning, but nothing of this was revealed in that time. Instead, the Formati waited for when they would create the Cur-ai, who would rule these citites, and through their actions fulfill the purposes of the Formati. And the kingdom was constructed over the course of one hundred and one years.

And Quiris shared with Dulcedo her joy at the beauty of Quam'tabul, and Dulcedo was pleased with its perfection.

But this time of rest and contentment was coupled with the urgency of progress, for beyond the walls of the kingdom a cry could be heard. Hundreds of the outcast came to Quam'tabul, and they were joined by a thousand others, and though the walls of Quam were not complete, and though the Cur-ai were not all gathered, Dulcedo's heart was moved to compassion - and the gates to Quam 'tabul were opened.

Like a loosed sea, the people poured into the kingdom, and on that first day, two hundred and thirteen people found comfort, shelter and food.

And beyond that, beauty. For the kingdom of Quam'tabul was fashioned with loving care, and many carvings and rare stones shaped the twelve cities.

And to each of ten cities a ruler was given authority. But of the remaining two citites no ruler was given, and they were cloaked in a darkness, and none wandered in.

The city of Poscovotum was governed by the first of the Cur-ai, who was known as Insumo. Insumo would be known to her citizens as a great mediator, and often she would strive with the Formati for any need they might have. For this reason great joy bonded those who lived in the city of Poscovotum, and its people flourished.

More to follow shortly.... all additions to this fable will be appended to "this" first message in the thread

Pelvidar
02-15-02, 07:26 AM
I've made some rather drastic changes to the story over the course of the evening. Perhaps my first attempt was too heavily influenced by The Silmarillion whihc I just finished reading. However, after a good night sleep the direction I wished to take the story began to change and I decided to make Quam'tabul a kingdom within in a relam of many kingdoms, instead of "the first Kingdom".

The significance of this will play out in future additions.

butterfly
02-16-02, 10:51 PM
Oo, a Pel story, I like Pel stories. :biggrin: *waits patiently for the next installment.*

HeatherlyButterfly
02-16-02, 11:01 PM
i'm with butterfly... hehe! :) i'm not a very patient personpel... make it worth the agony!

butterfly
02-16-02, 11:05 PM
yeah, that had better be some nobel prize worthy material! :smash: It's cruel to keep us in such suspense.

Pelvidar
02-16-02, 11:39 PM
Just for you I shall spend the next few minutes updating the story :D

HeatherlyButterfly
02-16-02, 11:40 PM
yay!!!

Pelvidar
02-17-02, 12:09 AM
This story is probably going to seem rather odd at first. I suppose there is a certain amount of groundwork I feel I need to lay out first, because the city of Quam'tabul has a very specific design.

Unlike Tolkien's work which was more like a "true myth", my work here is purely allegorical.

All these odd names are derived from other words (sometimes other languages) and relate to specific characters in the real world. Someone keen enough might crack the code to defining the names... who knows :) But they all mean something.

I will be taking the next few updates to explain the remaining 9 cities whih are to be inabited, as well as the Cur-ai which will oversee them. Tedious? Perhaps, but nomore so than 1 Chronicles:

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=1CHRON+1&language=english&version=KJV&showfn=off&showxref=off

If you can get through that, then my stuff will be a breeze :)

And no, my allegory isn't taken from the Bible.

Pelvidar
02-17-02, 12:13 AM
Oh, and I've decided to add a bit of color too. Anything I go back and change, I will highlight in red, and anything that's actually "brand new" will be in green.