PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Take/or the Position of Your Church

Multimom
02-11-02, 09:15 AM
I'm just curious as to what the prevailing position is regarding spiritual authority in the church.

Orpheus42
02-11-02, 10:35 AM
The church I attend in Evansville is option 1, the church I attend at home doesn't really fit into any category. We have a part-time minister who preaches for half the month and then men of the congregation preach the other 2 Sundays. I guess... that would be closest to 4.

Barney
02-11-02, 06:15 PM
All the pastors I know are pretty good at what they do, so why should anyone else take that away from them! They've been called to do the job, so they should be in change?!

:biggrin:
mee

Nicole
02-11-02, 07:05 PM
I guess the closest one to my opinion would be the first one. But that makes it sound kind of dictorial to me. The pastor isn't perfect. My pastor meets regularly with the other ministers as well as the deacons. They keep him accountable to the Word, and pray with him over things going on in the church. They give advice, offer encouragement, etc. He has the final say on issues I guess, but I would say 99.9% of the time everything is discussed and prayed over by all the ministers. We don't have a board or anything that approves his sermons or anything.

selah
02-11-02, 07:08 PM
My church (and I) take position two. I believe pastors are called to be there, but because they are also humans who make mistakes, it's important for there to be some way to keep them "in check." At my church it is a group of pastors who support the senior pastor and it works very well. Giving the ultimate authority of a church to one senior pastor is fine as long as they are within God's will, and preferrably in the center of it. It's just true that pastors are also humans and can stray from God's will, therefore it helps to have a group in place that the pastor can be accountable to.

Kathryn

GodBroken
02-11-02, 10:37 PM
my church is a combo of 1 & 2...

Breni Sue
02-12-02, 12:42 AM
I supose mine is a combo of both 1 and 4. Since our pastor was the one called to preach the Word of God, I believe that he should be in charge and make any final decisions. (but he will tell you that his wife is the one who keeps him in check! ;) ). At the same time, our members are always free to make suggestions as to how the church might be strengthened. And since our church is very small, we don't really have anyone who approves of the sermons that I know of. I think he pretty much writes them all himself.

Multimom
02-12-02, 11:45 PM
My church is definately #1. However our pastor keeps himself accountable to an outside organization of pastors within our church's affiliation (Church on the Rock International)

I don't think anyone should ever tell a pastor what to preach. That should be between him and God and it shouldn't be open for discussion with the members.

bumpas
02-15-02, 02:33 PM
My position on my church is in the prone,as i attend St.Mattress.
(No tiding)

cujo95
02-15-02, 11:56 PM
I go with position #4.

The Epistles set forth guidelines for church leadership, not doctrines and dogmas for leadership of the local church.
The church is to be a living and visible body of members in Christ.
The church is a body, and like the human body is composed many functioning members all working together, yet seperately and equally.
A pastor is to be a leader like a shepherd, but this does not make him more important than any other member, or necessarily give him more authority than any other member of the local body.

The trouble with many churches today- as well as in the past- is that they are mostly institutions instead of intimate families in Christ: They are organizations instead of being organisms of Christ.

Multimom
02-16-02, 12:11 PM
The trouble with many churches today- as well as in the past- is that they are mostly institutions instead of intimate families in Christ: They are organizations instead
of being organisms of Christ.

This is the very reason our church is a #1. Our church as well as Church on the Rock International believe the local body to be an intimate family. Hince the reason that the pastor is treated with respect and trusted as the "father" of the flock.

There is a huge amount of teaching going on in different circles regarding the "spiritual authority" of the pastor. The best book regarding this is "Spiritual Authority" by Watchman Nee.

We don't believe our pastor is infallable but we do believe he is head of the local body and there for is responsible for the church just as a father would be responsible for his "family".

The responses have been quite interesting. Keep them going.

Caretaker
02-21-02, 11:56 PM
I would think that it is important to have the pastor as spiritual leader of the local church, but with a board of deacons to oversee the operation of the building and finances. It is imperative that there be accountability. In many cases there is not enough balance which can result in the church being led into heresy. One can look at certain televangelists for example.

I knew one pastor that came into a local charismatic fellowship, with another pastor. There developed a schism do to a battle for power, and the fellowship split. The interloper rented an empty church building, and developed his own ministry, with total control in his hands. The last I heard of Jerry was that he was huddled in his building, with the power turned off, and seeing demons attacking from many directions.

I visited both churches. I felt a wrong spirit in Jerry's church, although the church was full and appeared successful, and only visited the one time. The original church has since rejected the spirit of open charismata, and has returned to its oneness pentecostal roots, with some success, but a stringet rigidity in its doctrine.

Old John
02-22-02, 01:24 PM
This is a thread that is very close to my heart! I have been involved in the governments of several churches over the years and have come to a few heart felt conclusions! There is a lot spoken of a pastors authority or a boards authority! I think that the paradigm is better represented under the concept of responsibility! The truth is, every member is responsible for the grace that the Lord has given them. When believers come together, all have the responsibility to come filled to be poured out rather than empty to be filled up! Every member of the body is of equal importance but our church experience has taken on a form strange to the beginning of Christianity. Participation has been replaced by attendance. Ministry is now the responsibility of the few rather than the many. Church conflict is rooted in a division of thought and resolved by established hierarchy. As with the perfect model given us in marriage, where new life is to be a product of unified love and commitment. Parents taking on a plurality of responsibility, authority a non issue with responsibility a focus. Parents take on a diminished, selfless, personal position, in the light of their responsibility to the goal of working themselves out of their job of daily oversight by bringing their children into maturity. Bringing up children capable of parenting in the love they were raised! So too the church was established with the goal of loving oversight through a plurality of selfless eldership, all in submission to the single Shepherd, a title reserved by our Lord to himself. As in a marriage, the division occurs where the Lord is absent and the need for immediate specific spiritual insight is replaced by bi-laws and contracts! As with a family division, so does the church pit the membership against their opposition. If the pastor is well though of, he can leave and take away membership. If he is not as well loved, his job is held in the contest. Is it any wonder that Satan has such fuel to flame the fires of contention when authority and position become the goal. As was the established beginning, the church needs to be governed by a plurality of peers. Married elders proven selfless, well tempered with a history of successful family management. Taking on a diminished position as Paul considered himself least among the brethren. The goal of building EVERY member to participate in the function of the body of Christ, through submission to the one head, the Lord himself.

Larry Tanner
02-28-02, 07:36 AM
ACCORDING TO THE BILICAL MODEL OF AUTHORITY IN THE CHURCH. A PLURALITY OF ELDERS ARE TO RULE THE LOCAL CHURCH WITH THE MEMBERS DOING THE WORK OF THE MINISTERY. PASTORS, APOSTLES,EVANGELISTS,PROPHETS AND TEACHERS ARE GIFTS ANIONTED BY GOD TO EQUIPT THE SAINTS TO DO THAT WORK. THEY MAY OR MAY NOT BE ELDERS. ELDERS ARE LOCAL AND GIFTS MINISTRIES ARE EXRA-LOCAL. THE PROFESSIONAL PASTOR AND LAYMEN CONGREGATION IS NOT A SCRIPTURAL MODEL.

Orpheus42
02-28-02, 10:28 AM
Except that the Biblical model does not involve anyone "ruling" the church except for God ;) Now SERVING, on the other hand...

Larry Tanner
02-28-02, 01:34 PM
Yes that is ture. Because Jesus, the head of the Church and the chief Shepard, is an example to the church as a servant of all and to all.

Old John
02-28-02, 04:05 PM
Isn't it amazing, how so many things of the church, are an opposite , not just an opposition, to the worlds view of success? Isaiah 9-6 reference to Jesus, is that he will govern from underneath, "His government will be on His shoulders"! Getting close to Him, requires the leaders to "climb down" the ladder of respect or position, into complete servant hood! Why do church leaders, so often seek personal recognition? Why is it that we hold one that is called to service, to be ordained by men? Based on education, no annointing is considered, and if so, is ususally judged by eloquence and personal magnetism, rather than humility and spiritual fruit!

Codger
03-04-02, 04:09 PM
Dear Multimom,

I was surprised at the results of your poll. I didn't vote with the majority. The reason is that I have seen several really bad situations over the years involving a one man leadership situation - in my experience it is not a good thing. Because of this I voted for a plurality.

Larry

Caretaker
03-05-02, 07:17 AM
Dear Codger;

I so agree with you, and that is why I selected #2. The ownership of the infrastructure, parsonage, vehicles, etc., should be by a board of elders/deacons. All finances should be handled by a Church treasurer directly accountable to the Church board. The pastor should not be burdened by the basic operation of the Church, nor placed in a position of temptation.

The pastor is to be the spiritual leader of the Church, and to minister the Word of God to the congregation. The elders are not to usurp the pastor's authority in this leadership role, but they should be able to maintain the Church if a call for a new pastor is needed.

If a pastor begins a new work, then he should prayerfully raise up deacons to shoulder this burden, at the earliest opportunity. The ministry must be held to the highest standards of accountability, so as to be above reproach.

May God bless.

Lawrence
03-17-02, 09:52 AM
I always thought Acts 6:1-7 addressed this...to a certain extent.