PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard a message so moving it made you cry?

Breni Sue
02-10-02, 11:35 PM
I did. A friend of mine invited me to her church this morning. I admit I am usually a bit intimidated going to a church bigger than my own, but I am always up for something different.

The sermon was about love. The minister said that love is never mentioned in the bible as a feeling, but as an act. We may have feelings for people, but it is only when we show those feelings through our actions that we actually love them. He was also talking about married couples - when one is a Christain and one is not. God commands us to never divorce them, but to uplift them and bring them to Christ by our own behavior. He said that true love is putting them ahead of yourself. And I know I have read the verses a dozen times about this stuff, but actually hearing the way he presented it - it really moved me. And then he asked us to bow our heads and pray if we were in a situation like this. I started thinking of how badly I want my husband to feel the same kind of passion that I do for God, and just how much I really do love him. There were tears before I even realized it, and I was trying so hard to fight them back (mainly because I get embarrassed if I bawl in public, especially around strangers! ;) ) OK, so maybe I didn't flat-out cry, but I couldn't stop the tears none-the-less. :wah: I actually felt as though God was speaking directly to me - through this man's words. It was the 1st time I realized that God really does understand this situation completely, and that He wants to help. And then I began to think about my sister and her situation and how much I want for her to be happy. It was all so over-whelming and powerful - when they got to the invitation hymn I couldn't sing. The service ran one hour over than usual. And the funny thing is, I wasn't even keeping track of time.

I told my friend later how moving that sermon was and how I wished I could get him to start going again. Well, right afterwards I went to go grab some lunch to bring home, and saw the pianist from my own church in there. We got to talking and she asked about Kevin and how everyone misses him there. She said that she went through the same thing with her husband for the longest time, and how he was so into cars and races and stuff (hmm, sounds like someone else I know! ;) ). But that somehow, he came around and just started coming on his own. By the time I left there, I felt very encouraged. Wow, God speaking to me twice in the same day about the same thing - what are the odds? :)

Anyway, I didn't start this to talk about my husband, I just wanted to share my experience with y'all and how much it touched me. I will not forget it for a very long time. Ain't it funny how the Lord works in us sometimes? ;)

God bless ~ Bren

Orpheus42
02-11-02, 01:02 AM
Will pray for you and your husband.

Nicole
02-11-02, 05:38 AM
awesome :)

I'll be praying for you and your husband.

WarriorAngel
02-11-02, 03:54 PM
I'll pray for you Kyrie.

You shouldn't be embarrased about crying in Church, I was raised Pentecostal and if all we do is *cry* in Church it's a slow day :D

I know how it is, my dad didn't go to church for the longest time. He grew up in a church and raised us in church, but then he got upset at the few bad apples (finger-pointers, gossipers, stuff like that) and turned away from God. He asked me what I wanted for my 17th birthday and I told him that I wanted him to seperate God's message from people who are drawn to church for the wrong reasons. He's been back a few times since then (not our old church, but I take him to other churches sometimes) and is starting to renew his relationship with Christ. My mom's really happy too!