PDA

View Full Version : "punk rock"

GodsHelper
02-10-02, 08:04 PM
Hello fellow lovers of Jesus;

Through a friend of mine, I have besmirched my ears of this music dubbed "punk." The lyrics are hateful and are filled with messages of destruction and war. A band has even gone so far as to call themselves BAD RELIGION. Their symbol is the holy cross with encircled with a line through it. I was shocked when I saw it.

Other bands promote the removing of the government and of anarchy. Anti-Flag is an example of this, and they even have a song entitled Captain Anarchy. This is a grievous issue that must be addressed. Fellow ILJ-goers, we must do something about this.

Christ be with you,

Jeremiah.

Orpheus42
02-10-02, 08:39 PM
What exactly would you propose that we do?

GodsHelper
02-10-02, 09:11 PM
I was looking to you for some ideas, but I have some of my own, too.

We must inform people of these messengers of doom. No more people can be infected. We have to start some sort of campaign against this. I am very open to ideas and would love to hear some of yours.

Christ be with you,

Jeremiah.

Orpheus42
02-10-02, 09:16 PM
Do you mean punk as a style, or secular punk music which takes up themes counter to Christianity?

GodBroken
02-10-02, 09:53 PM
What exactly would you propose that we do?

...that we pray... and make it hard!!!!!!!!!!

Orpheus42
02-11-02, 12:44 AM
Yes, but pray for what? Before I take up some sort of campaign, I'd like to know exactly what I'm campaigning against... are you against the entire punk rock genre, even Christian groups, or just secular groups that embrace anti-Christian ideology?

Candice
02-11-02, 12:36 PM
i warn those i talk with that all the lyrically secual songs are bad and that they will damage their soul if they listen to such garbage and besides if you love Jesus you wouldn't listen to something that you know he wouldn't condone but would dispise.

and besides that i like Christian punk music.... :)

GodBroken
02-11-02, 09:42 PM
..pray for whatever the Holy Spirit impresses on you...

are you against the entire punk rock genre, even Christian groups, or just secular groups that embrace anti-Christian ideology?
... maybe not totally against the entire punk rock genre... save for the Christian groups... A funny thing about God is that He can use punk rock and transform it into something that would give Him glory.

Of course, secular groups are a different thing since their anti-Christian themes are markedly obvious and, as children of God, we shouldn't even dabble with it.

Ultimately, it leads to what the conviction of God in one's life is. If someone has an impression in his/her heart that it's bad...by all means, he/she should stop listening to it. If that's not the case, he/she might prefer listening to another kinda music coz somebody might be discouraged because of him/her.

Polaris
02-15-02, 03:32 AM
What about the 'punk-rock' Christian bands? Those like Relient K and Pax 217 (and there are more than that) have lyrics that glorify God.

Nampula
02-15-02, 11:33 AM
"Although we are a punk rock band that plays punk music, we do not consider ourselves to conform to Punk’s anti-social foundations of nihilism, self-gratification, apathy, and indifference.

Please do not confuse mere music, appearance, or lifestyle with an ideology. The Punk Movement symbolizes particular ideas and philosophies that we are adamantly opposed to. The foundation of Punk (as an institution) is anarchy, and anarchy is pure rebellion against all established order.

God is the author of all things and is sovereign over all creation, therefore rebellion against all order is also rebellion against God. This is why we do not endorse the dogma of ‘Punk’, but still appreciate and identify with the music and lifestyle that is rooted in us from our youth. We do, on the contrary, ‘endorse’ God, as He is our Lord in all things and we can attribute our very existence to His wonderful grace, power, and abounding love.

We are Bible-believing Christians who are dedicated to sharing His love and the hope of Salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ. We also happen to play very loud, intense music. We are unorthodox. We are not mainstream. We do not conform. We are Headnoise. But above all else, we are Christians. God Bless!!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i used to love punk music; i was a big bad religion fan, i almost saw pennywise live, i loved anti-flag and nofx... and i know that if you straight up tell a punk fan that their music is of the evil one, its going to take lots of Holy Spirit power just to keep their temper from bubbling over. it might do better to take it easy with these people, and calmly suggest an alternative, such as headnoise, who have the above quote in their mission statement. headnoise are hardcore punk, they have the real sound, unlike pax and reliant k who fall into the sub-genre of "pop punk" and rival blink 182 more than bad religion...

</pedestal> ;)

Chris B
02-20-02, 05:26 PM
Relient K is pop-punk... watered down melodic punk "made fit for the masses". I think Green Day may have been the first pop-punk group.

Pax 217 has very little punk about it.

There is nothing evil in the music style of punk... it is the lyrics that some bands promote with it.

Good Christian punk bands:

Dogwood
Ghoti Hook
Philmore (sort of pop-punkish. not quite sure, but I like them).
Squad Five-0 (punk-ska).
The Altar Boys (probably the original Christian punk group. 80's punk).

Pop-punk:
Relient K
MxPx

Nampula
03-06-02, 10:07 AM
dogwood is an excellent substitute for secular punk... i haven't listen to ghoti hook and philmore besides a couple songs but think they have a punk sound... squad is more glam rock than anything i've never heard altar boys.

but its not like i'm trying to advertise one of my favorite bands here or anything..

*cough*headnoise*cough*

:biggrin:

Chris B
03-06-02, 10:29 AM
hehe, I'll have to check out headnoise... I've never heard of them. Yeah, Squad's second album ("Bomb's Over Broadway") is completely different from their "What I Believe" album. They went from punk/ska to glam rock over night. crazy.

Faithful1
03-15-02, 12:23 PM
Well the easiest way to tell whether or not it's bad is this:

If it brings you away from God it's bad.

If it brings you and your walk closer to God then it's good. ;)