PDA

View Full Version : Need help

TBosellifan71
02-09-02, 08:09 PM
Hi everyone. I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm homeschooling my son(12). I'm trying to teach him about discrimination. Each week in History we have a certain topic that we stick with. Well, that is our topic for this coming week. I have all the information I need about Indian reseservations, internment camps, slavery, and so on . I'm missing one very important thing though. I cannot find any information on the internet,that is at his reading level, about early Christian persecution. Can anyone tell me of a good website where I can find this information? It has to be something that he can understand, all I have been able to find have been difficult for me to understand, let alone a 12 year old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michelle

Nicole
02-09-02, 08:22 PM
I haven't looked at this site in a while, but you may find something here:

www.voiceofthemartyrs.com

Orpheus42
02-09-02, 08:26 PM
Only early Christian persecution? There's more of it now than there has been at any time in history.

TBosellifan71
02-09-02, 08:45 PM
We also study current events. I have no problems finding information on Christian persecution today. It's the History that I'm having a hard time finding information on.

TBosellifan71
02-09-02, 08:47 PM
Heavenlyprincess, thanks. I did find some there. Still need more though, if anyone else knows of anywhere.

Multimom
02-09-02, 09:32 PM
You might try going to a search engine and typing something like religious persecution and see what comes up. I'm sure you'll get a mix of history and current.

The best historical record of religious persecution goes back to the colonies when we left England.

Also the Crusades and possibly persecution in the RCC(roman catholic church)

You might also try searching under different people we know to be marytrs like Joan of Arc etc.

Sometimes it takes just going a different route. You might try some of the more difficult stuff, you'd be surprised what 12 year olds can understand, I know my now 13 yo certainly stuns me sometime.

I'll try some of the searches I suggested and see what I can come up with.

You might try this link. The overview and what is discussed looks like it might be interesting. I read a bit of it and since this site is written by students the language is quite simple and there are lots of links to other information. I started reading on the Holocaust and it looks pretty easy reading and understanding to me.

Good Luck

http://library.thinkquest.org/C005706/

Orpheus42
02-09-02, 09:44 PM
The book Jesus Freaks by DC Talk has a lot of information that would probably be easily understandable for a 12-year old. Also you could try looking up Foxe's Book of Martyrs. It's pretty much the standard work on the subject.

TBosellifan71
02-09-02, 09:48 PM
Thank you all. I have found many things:) You've been a great help.

svensky
02-10-02, 07:06 AM
Foxes book of martyrs is good, but it can be quite graphic and might be above his reading level.

Jason

Orpheus42
02-10-02, 08:42 AM
True, I just suggested it because it's the standard work.