PDA

View Full Version : cool website

Nicole
02-06-02, 02:53 PM
www.barna.org

it's a research company that researches a lot of trends within the Christian community - sometimes the results surprise you! My pastor and youth pastor both use their info at times in their messages. A couple of weeks ago my pastor pointed out that according to the research of this group - 85% of Americans claimed to be Christians. That is simply amazing to me - you would think that it 85% of people claimed to be Americans - you would see more evidence of this in the way people live their daily lives in our country. Makes you wonder about people.

GodBroken
02-06-02, 10:01 PM
quoting from what ive read there...
By the end of the decade, 50 million Americans will seek to have their spiritual experience solely through the Internet, rather than at a church; and upwards of 100 million Americans will rely upon the Internet to deliver some aspects of their religious experience.

is this happening or what?

Nicole
02-06-02, 10:05 PM
interesting..I guess I'm one of the 100 million - because I gain a lot spiritually from these boards - though I don't think that the internet should be your sole source of Christian fellowship and learning :)

GodBroken
02-06-02, 10:16 PM
Among adults who have been married, born again Christians and non-Christians have essentially the same probability of divorce.

Uh-oh.... i think we're in trouble........

svensky
02-10-02, 07:22 AM
it's a research company that researches a lot of trends within the Christian community - sometimes the results surprise you! My pastor and youth pastor both use their info at times in their messages. A couple of weeks ago my pastor pointed out that according to the research of this group - 85% of Americans claimed to be Christians. That is simply amazing to me - you would think that it 85% of people claimed to be Americans - you would see more evidence of this in the way people live their daily lives in our country. Makes you wonder about people. [/B]
There was a whole running debate of this over at ODD.

I would still contend that the 85% of people that call them selves christians are more than likely mostly diests. It is just that christian == deist in practice for many people.

They label themselves christian, but all they really believe in is "god" in some abstract and nebulous sense. I've heard it said that many diests of this sort are diests because they lack the knowledge/philisophical acumen to simply commit to athiesm.

Anyway, just throwing in my 2c

Jason

Breni Sue
02-10-02, 09:20 AM
Most of the people I know that claim to be Christians are not really Christians at all - at least not in the sense that God expects us to be. They are merely so by "association", if you will, because maybe their family belongs to a certain Church. My Mom tried to tell me this for years even before I officially accepted Christ - "You're a Protestant, that's what your grandparents are and that's how you were raised." But being raised in a church doesn't necessarily make you a Christian - especially if you don't feel it in your heart. I knew a couple once that were the same way, the wife's parents were Catholics - which I guess they felt automatically made her Catholic - so the husband had to take certain classes in order to be married. But they never actually went to church, they both drank and constantly took the Lord's name in vain - not at all "Christians" IMO.

And I definitely see a growing trend of folks getting their spiritual experiences from the internet. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you. I mean, talking with fellow Christians online is cool and all, but I think that we also need to fellowship with people around us as well. And there are just some things that we can only get from being in the physical presence of believers, know what I mean?