PDA

View Full Version : Today's Coffee . . .

Durango
01-28-02, 07:36 PM
Coffee and the Mouse . . .

A couple of weeks ago I was at work late one night . . .

I was called in from home to take care of some problem that someone else should have taken care of long before they should have ever had to call me in.

But that's what they pay me for so I get stuck going into work whenever they call me.

Anyway, I was sitting at my computer doing some trouble shooting when out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw something move across the floor.

When I glanced over in that direction however I didn't see anything there.

Thinking that it was rather late and that I was probably just tired I poured myself a cup of coffee and went back to work.

A little while later it happened again . . .

Something moved across that floor and I was determined to find out what it was so that I would no longer sit there questioning my sanity.

I sat there for another fifteen minutes or so and sure enough a little mouse crawled out from under the bookshelf across the room.

He picked up some little crumb that had fallen off of someone's bagel or donut and then he scurried back under the bookshelf.

I didn't think much of it at the time, I figured he was just a little thing and not out to hurt anyone so I would just let him be.

Besides, I was kind of happy knowing that I wasn't really losing my mind and just imagining things.

Well, as it turned out the little thing seemed to get more brazen as time went on . . .

As the week progressed he was coming out of hiding whether there were people nearby or not, nothing seemed to bother the little rodent.

Finally it got to a point where the nasty little thing was getting up on to the table where we keep the coffee pot, the bagels and the donuts.

We decided it was time to get rid of the little menace so we went out and bought a mouse trap.

We set the mousetrap up with a nice fresh piece of cheese in it and we figured that by the next morning we would catch the little intruder . . .

WRONG! The clever little beast figured out how to steal the cheese without being caught.

This went on for about few more days and then we decided to put peanut butter in the trap . . .

Something that would make him sit there eating it . . . something that he wouldn't be able to just swipe and run off with.

Well that finally did it, seems we finally caught the little rodent over the weekend and we got rid of him.

So this morning as I sipped my coffee I thought about the whole ordeal.

I thought about how cautious that little mouse had been in the beginning . . .
How he was so careful not to get caught.

Then I thought about how each time he came out he got a little more brazen . . .

How he became carefree, not fearing anything.

How he had finally become so brazen and careless that it finally ended up costing him his life.

Then I thought about how it can be the same way with us.

We start out with a little sin, maybe a little white lie . . .

At first our conscience bothers us,

But we figure "who's gonna know, nobody will ever find out".

Then the snowball effect starts to take hold.

We find it easier and easier to commit the sin with each time we try and we let it bother our conscience less and less.

Then we become as careless as that little mouse, forgetting that there IS someone out there keeping an eye on us.

Yes, the Good Lord has been keeping His eye on us the whole time . . .

and if we don't rid that sin from our lives we could end up just like that little mouse . . .

except we can lose our life for eternity.

Just a thought!

Durango

Orpheus42
01-28-02, 07:42 PM
Holy cow I needed that.

Good to have you back, man.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

Multimom
01-28-02, 09:30 PM
Durango:

You're always timeless.

Thanks!!;)

Nicole
01-28-02, 09:33 PM
Thank you so much!

Lee
01-28-02, 11:23 PM
Beautiful,
Soloman said, beware of the little foxe's, it is they that spoil the vine. That was good to my soul< thank's for sharing!

Lee

Breni Sue
01-29-02, 01:25 AM
Durango's Coffee post to the rescue once more! :)

Wonderfully eye-opening and thought-provoking, as usual! ;)

trixiepup
01-29-02, 02:53 AM
i know this is off topic, cuz the original coffee post durango made was related to spiritual things...however, i just can't help wondering if the other mice have come to take the first mouse's place at the bagel tray....

Durango
01-30-02, 12:58 PM
My two oldest sons were out in the driveway playing a friendly game of basketball yesterday afternoon.

I heard Bubba taunting his little brother by saying "Come on, bring it on, let's see what you got."

Let me just say right here that Bubba is 19 years old and he played basketball all through high school.

Little Durango on the other hand is only 13 and he is at least a foot shorter than Bubba.

So naturally one would figure that Bubba would have quite an advantage over Little Durango.

Anyway, after hearing the taunting going on out in the driveway I figured I'd sneak a peek out the kitchen window to see what was going on.

Well, Little Durango was there dribbling the basketball as Bubba tried to keep him from getting to the basket.

With a few quick moves, Little Durango blew past his older brother and scored the basket.

Bubba stood there dumbfounded . . .

He had been faked out of his shoes by his younger brother.

Quite a humbling experience to say the least.

But Bubba once again taunted his little brother saying, "Alright so you got lucky, bring it on again and I'll show you how to play this game."

So Little Durango tried it once again and with a few quick moves he blew past Bubba again to score another basket.

Embarrassed by what his younger brother had done to him he asked "Where did you ever learn to play like that?"

Little Durango turned to him and replied "From playing against you all these years. I had to learn tricks like that or I knew I'd never be able to beat you."

And there it was in a nutshell . . .

Bubba had beaten his little brother so many times over the years that the little guy had been humbled enough to finally learn what he needed to do to beat his older brother . . .

And in doing so, now he had humbled his older brother.

I thought about that over coffee this morning . . .

I thought about how both the boys had been humbled by one another . . .

And how Little Durango had learned to become a better ball player through that humble approach to his game.

Then I thought about how important it is for us to have that sort of humility in our Christian walk.

How we can learn to walk closer to Our Lord if we take a humble approach in doing so. . .

How we will receive better understanding if we study God's Word with that spirit of humility.

Just a thought!

Durango

P.S. No new mice at the bagel tray yet!

Breni Sue
01-31-02, 12:13 AM
A very "humbling" message indeed, Durango! ;)

Durango
01-31-02, 05:16 PM
The weather has been rather spring like around these parts lately, rather strange for the month of January in New Jersey.

The spring like weather has my boys all enjoying the outdoors in ways not normal for January.

For example , I came home from work the other night and parked my truck out in the driveway.

I jumped out of the truck and headed up the front walk towards the house.

The next thing I know I'm lying on the ground writhing in pain.

Seems one of the boys left his skateboard right there in the middle of the walkway for me to trip over.

Well I took a few moments gather my composure so that I didn't go in and raise Cain over it . . .

Then I walked into the house to find my darling wife and my sons sitting in the kitchen talking.

I said hello and mentioned something about how nice the weather had been all day.

Everyone agreed that it had been a lovely day and then, the truth came out . . .

Bamm-Bamm said "It was so nice today that I even went out to ride my skateboard."

So I said, "that reminds me, I want to thank you for that reminder of what it feels like to fall off of a skateboard."

He asked what I meant and so I proceeded to show him the tear in my new pair of jeans and the gash in my leg.

"What happened" he asked.

I told him that he left his skateboard in the middle of the front walk and I had stumbled over it and fell.

He apologized and said he didn't mean to leave it in the walkway.

So after cleaning out the gash in my leg I sat down and poured myself a fresh cup of coffee.

I thought about that skateboard out in the walkway . . .

And how Bamm-Bamm didn't intentionally leave it there for me to trip over.

And then I got to thinking about how it is in our Christian walk.

I thought about how easy it is for us to stumble over a block left in our path . . .

And how easy it is for us to unintentionally set a stumbling block in someone else's path.

I thought about how easy it can be at times to get mixed up with a false teaching or a false doctrine and how it can cause us to stumble for a bit . . .

And I thought about how easily we can cause someone else to stumble . . .

I thought about how we are to be setting examples for others . . .

And how when we stray from the path by committing sin others can be led into it by following our example.
I thought about how we can unintentionally set stumbling blocks for others through our words and our actions . . .

And how important it is for us to try to make sure we don't set those stumbling blocks for others.

Just a thought!

Durango

Nicole
01-31-02, 05:34 PM
wow

Durango
02-10-02, 06:28 PM
My oldest son, Bubba took his girlfriend to dinner and a show recently in what we refer to as the "Big Apple", good old New York City.

Now, Bubba has been into the city numerous times, he's been in to see plays, skate at Rockefeller Center, have dinner in some of the finer restaurants, take in a ballgame at Yankee or Shea Stadium, etc.

So the city is really nothing new to him.

Anyway, they were strolling down Seventh Ave. the other day when they came upon one of those con men running one of those shell games on the street.

Bubba stopped for a minute and watched as the con man asked his customer under which cup the nut was.

The customer said he wasn't sure and Bubba proudly blurted out "it's under the middle one".

The con man said "you're right, you win" and he threw twenty dollars down on the table for Bubba . . .

The baited hook and Bubba fell for it.

Before Bubba finally walked away from that con man and his table Bubba had lost a hundred dollars.

He came home after the show and dinner still kicking himself for having fallen prey to the con man.

He said "Dad, I don't know why I fell for it, it all seemed so easy. I found that first nut without a problem and then I couldn't find it anymore."

I reminded him of something Grandpa used to always tell me . . .

"Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in awhile".

Well, I finally calmed Bubba down by asking him if he had learned anything from the experience, which he replied yes too.

Bubba had learned a lesson but it had cost him a hundred dollars in the process.

I was thinking about that over coffee this morning.

I thought about how Bubba had been deceived by the con man . . .

How things weren't really as they had appeared to poor Bubba during that con game.

And then I thought about what Grandpa used to say . . .

"Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in awhile".

That got me to thinking . . .

Thinking about all these so-called "prophets" who seem to be crawling out of the woodwork since the incidents on Sept. 11th.

These "prophets" who claim they prophesized those events or what lies ahead for us.

"Prophets" who have come out bragging about other so called "prophecies" of theirs that have come true.

I thought about how these "prophets" are like the blind squirrel who finds a nut once in awhile, because every once in awhile one of their so-called prophecies appears to have come true from the way they explain it.

In the meantime they are leading people astray, pulling them away from the Lord and into Satan's con game.

False prophets and false prophecy . . . perhaps something for all of us to think about and beware of.

Just a thought!

Durango

Orpheus42
02-10-02, 08:56 PM
Is anyone collecting these? :)

Nicole
02-10-02, 09:08 PM
I'm waiting for him to publish his book so I'll have a nice bound copy of all of them ;)

Breni Sue
02-10-02, 10:15 PM
Yeah, a coffee-table book would be very nice! ;)

Durango
02-11-02, 09:27 AM
I walked into the kitchen the other evening to pour myself a cup of coffee.

My sons were all sitting around the kitchen table playing a game of Monopoly.

I stopped to watch the game for a little while . . .

It reminded me of when I was a kid.

Grandpa would come to visit and we would play Monopoly for hours on end.

I got to be rather good at playing that game back in those days.

Anyway, as I watched the play of this particular game going on I noticed a few things happening that I didn't seem to recall from the days when Grandpa and I used to play.

One thing I noticed was this large pile of money sitting in the middle of the board.

I asked the guys about it and they said that when someone had to pay the fines and assessments from the "community chest" and "chance" cards they put it into that pile . . .

Then if someone landed on "Free Parking" that person would get the money in the center of the board.

I asked them where they came up with a crazy rule like that and they answered that they always played that way . . .

They said it must be in the rules of the game somewhere.

I told them that I had never heard of any such rule and I pulled out the "Official Rules of Monopoly".

No where in the rules did it indicate any such thing . . .

In fact it basically said that "Free Parking" was just that, a space with no purpose but to sit and wait for your next turn.

I pointed this out to the boys and told them that they really should be playing according to the rules.

Finally I left them to their game and I took my coffee into the other room to sit by the fireplace.

As I sat there I reflected on what had just happened back in the kitchen.

I thought about how the boys were playing that game by rules that someone else had made up . . .

Rules that didn't correspond to the "Official Rules".

Then I thought about the various doctrines and teachings we are seeing in the churches today . . .

How many of the teachings we hear today don't correspond to what we read in God's Word.

And I thought about how we should be consulting God's Word and playing by the "Official Rules" instead of someone else's made up rules.

Just a thought!

Durango

Orpheus42
02-11-02, 10:29 AM
Actually I'm pretty sure the Free Parking jackpot rule was published in a later supplement to the Monopoly rules ;)

My mom's Monopoly set had that rule listed as an alternate rule.

But the point still stands ;)

trixiepup
02-11-02, 05:06 PM
we always did the money free parking to keep everyone in the game longer, because none of us really wanted our relatives to lose. we'd do everything to keep everyone else in the game...even sharing cards and stuff after going bankrupt. that's probably not in the official rules either. heh.

Durango
02-11-02, 09:14 PM
The following is a copy from the Official Monopoly Rules
as printed in the MonopolyŽ Rule Book.

FREE PARKING

A player landing on this place does not receive any money, property
or reward of any kind.
This is just a "free" resting place.

Everyone can check the official rules out for themselves at
http://www.monopoly.com

Guess it just goes to show how easily we can be deceived into believing false teachings.

Durango

Nicole
02-11-02, 09:50 PM
this is very strange indeed....

I have a feeling it's on an alternate rule book SOMEWHERE because I remember looking this up at some point in my life when a couple friends and I disagreed on this issue :)

Breni Sue
02-12-02, 01:30 AM
Not to turn this into a Monopoly debate, but I was always under the impression that people were also allowed to create their own set of rules to the game beforehand - aside from the official ones, that is. My Mom was always the "Monopoly Queen" and kicked everyone else's butts! ;)

But I digress....excellent post, Durango! :)

Orpheus42
02-12-02, 10:50 AM
I know what I was thinking of... I had another game very similar to Monopoly but it dealt with outer space and it did have such a rule. My bad.

Durango
02-13-02, 02:43 PM
The boys had another basketball game again last night . . .

Seems to be just about all we do lately, head out to these basketball games.

But the boys love playing the game and Mrs. Durango and I truly enjoy watching them play.

Anyway, someone had passed the ball to Bamm-Bamm and he had dribbled the ball down into the corner.

Before you could blink an eye there were three of the opposing teams players swarming all over him.

They were swatting and grabbing at the ball trying to get it away from him.

Bamm-Bamm kept looking for a way to pass the ball off to someone else but he couldn't find a way of doing so.

Now one thing I have to say right here is that Bamm-Bamm ISN'T the most patient person I've ever met, in fact he's pretty far from that.

Another thing about Bamm-Bamm is that he doesn't particularly care for other people to be "intruding on his space" as he puts it.

And as far as he was concerned these three guys were a bother to him last night, intruding on his space.

Finally he got fed up with the whole thing and he shouted at the top of his lungs "GET AWAY FROM ME!"

It was strange the way he roared, sounded almost as if he had been possessed or something . . .

But it was enough to make those three guys back off of him from a split second . . .

Which was just enough time for one of his teammates to get over there to help him out.

Bamm-Bamm passed the ball off to his teammate and he was out of trouble.

I thought about that this morning over coffee . . .

I thought about how Bamm-Bamm had yelled at those other players to get away from him and how it made those players back off for that split second . . .

How it had given him the time to find the help he needed.

Then I thought about that story of Jesus being tempted by Satan . . .

How three times Jesus had told Satan to get away from Him and how Satan backed off for that split second of time just like those players had done last night.

I thought about how those few split seconds that Satan had backed off gave Jesus the time to reach out to Our Father in Heaven to help him get past those taunts and temptations of Satan's.

Then I thought about how we can do the same thing . . .

When we are tempted to sin we too can tell Satan to back off and get that split second of time to reach out to the Lord for the strength to get past that temptation.

Just a thought!

Durango

Durango
02-14-02, 04:13 PM
I stopped to visit with Grandma this morning to see how she was doing,

It's her first Valentine's Day without Grandpa.

She was telling me how Grandpa was never much for giving Valentine's Day presents.

But he always gave her a Valentine's Day card.

As a matter of fact, it was always the VERY SAME CARD every year.

It seems many years ago he gave her a Valentine's Day card that he felt described his feelings perfectly, and when she read it, she thought it was the greatest thing she ever read.

Well a few days after Valentine's Day, Grandpa took the card and stashed it away for the following year.

And ever since then he would give it to her on Valentine's Day and then stash it away for the next year.

Grandpa never realized that Grandma was aware of what was going on all those years because Grandma never let on that she knew.

She was content to read those same words every year, they were special to her.

Before I left, she pulled out the bottom desk drawer, and there hidden under that desk drawer was Grandpa's card. She pulled it out and read it once again.

I watched as a tear rolled down her cheek and realized that it was just as special to her today as it was the very first time he ever gave it to her.

So today, remember no matter how the day unfolds . . .

That it's those hidden feelings deep inside that are what makes Valentine's Day so special.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Durango

gracesvd1
02-14-02, 06:28 PM
nt

Multimom
02-15-02, 04:47 PM
Multimom wipes away a tear.

Durango, give your grandma a hug for me please. I wish I could still hug either one of my grandparents.

Nicole
02-15-02, 04:49 PM
that is soo sweet *tear*

Durango
02-27-02, 01:46 PM
Sitting here sipping my coffee this morning I thought back to a time when our boys were younger.

Things were pretty hectic back then trying to raise 3 young boys while Mrs. Durango was running child day care at our house.

Seemed as though just about everywhere you looked there were kids running around and playing.

It didn't make it very easy for Mrs. Durango to keep up with all of the household chores back then.

So for some of the time back then the only time we really worried about cleaning the house would be when we were expecting company.

Of course when you are under the pressure of getting everything cleaned up and in order before company arrives it can get pretty stressful.

Things DON'T always end up being put away where they belong under those circumstances . . .

A lot of times things will be stuffed in a closet or a drawer where it doesn't belong and then when you need to find it again you pull your hair out trying to find it.

Finally we got to a point where we realized we needed to set some priorities and get our life back in order.

Once we did this we found we had the time to keep up with all of the chores and that we were actually able to spend more quality time together as a family.

Anyway, as I thought about that this morning I recalled how hectic and stressful it was to try to always get everything done before company would arrive . . .

And how it would always seem that we never did quite finish everything before that door bell would ring.

There always seemed to be something that we didn't quite get done.

Then I thought about it all in a spiritual sense . . .

Would we be waiting until the final few moments before Christ's arrival to try to be ready for him?

Would we be scrambling around trying to prepare for His arrival?

Would we be ready if the Lord were to show up on our front doorstep looking for us tonight?

Or would the Lord find us unprepared for Him?

Are we ready for Christ's arrival?

Perhaps something we should all be thinking about and preparing for.

Just a thought!

Durango

Multimom
02-27-02, 07:47 PM
Multimom jumps up, grabs her hair in terror and ducks under the nearest chair peering out between the leg spindels

Gads Durango, you just caused me to have a post-traumatic stress flash back. I had 5 kids and ran an in-home daycare and I had regular panic attacks when I even imagined that someone would be coming over.

In fact we just didn't ever have company because I simply couldn't keep up.

Durango
02-28-02, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Multimom
Multimom jumps up, grabs her hair in terror and ducks under the nearest chair peering out between the leg spindels

I've seen that same look of terror in Mrs. Durango's eyes numerous times.

Durango
02-28-02, 11:23 AM
I stopped for coffee this morning at the little coffee shop in town.

It's a quaint little place located on the corner of a one way street down along Broadway.

They serve fresh pastries and without a doubt the best coffee in town.

Another reason I like the place so much is because it seems every time I drop in at that little establishment I run into an old friend that I haven't seen in quite awhile.

This morning as I sat there sipping my coffee and reading the newspaper my old friend Murphy popped in.

Murphy and I went to school together years ago and now he is a police officer in town . . . sworn to protect and serve our fine community.

He sat at the table and we talked for a bit, exchanging news about our families.

Then the conversation drifted over to the subject of work and how things were going with our jobs.

Murphy went on to tell me about a gentleman he stopped the other day on the corner right in front of the coffee shop.

He told me he had stopped the man because he was travelling the wrong way down the one way street.

Murphy told me that when the man rolled down the car window he asked him if he realized he was going the wrong way.

The man, obviously intoxicated answered "why would you say that when you have no idea where I'm going"?

Murphy pointed up to the one way sign on the corner and said once again, "You're going the wrong way".

The man replied "I'm not going the wrong way the arrow is pointed the wrong way, I have to go this way to get home."

The story carried on for a bit more especially with Murphy telling it, but in the end he ended up placing the man under arrest for driving under the influence.

Murphy finished his coffee and headed back out on patrol leaving me with my thoughts and my coffee.

As I sat there thinking about Murphy's story I thought about the man and the argument he had with Murphy.

I thought about how determined that man was that it was the arrow that was pointing in the wrong direction and not himself.

And I thought about how sometimes we can fall into that same way of thinking.

Believing we are the one who is right and pointing the finger at others . . . Not willing to admit when we are in the wrong.

I thought about how sometimes, if we are not careful, we can find ourselves blindly following someone else's teachings without checking to see if those teachings are pointing us in the right direction.

Just a few thoughts over coffee!

Durango

Orpheus42
02-28-02, 11:53 AM
Very nice.

Fortunately, God has a big shock collar that eventually gets to us and we turn back around ;)

Durango
03-21-02, 01:56 PM
Well, Durango is back from his semi-annual golf trip to South Carolina.

A week of golf and frustration once again.

Seems I hit that little white ball just about everywhere except where I intended it to go.

It got to be a bit frustrating after awhile and my partner Ziggy could see how it was affecting my game.

Now Ziggy is an excellent golfer . . . seems he can never do a thing wrong when it comes to the game of golf.

Anyway, Ziggy told me not to let the game bother me so much. He told me that he has found that the two keys to his success at the game were . . .

# 1 Practice, Practice, Practice

and

# 2 Enjoy the game, reap the benefits!

Well, I've been thinking about Ziggy's advice lately and it seems simple enough . . .

So I have been heading out to the driving range . . . practicing more and more . . . and I can already see an improvement.

I have been enjoying myself as I do it . . . not letting the little things bother me . . . instead I've been concentrating on enjoying my practice . . . enjoying what I learn from the practice . . . and enjoying the benefits of that practice.

I thought about this over coffee this morning . . .

I thought about how I now enjoy practicing . . .

How I enjoy reaping the benefits of that practice . . .

And how it will eventually lead me to be an even better golfer.

Then I thought about how it is with our Spiritual Walk.

I thought about how the constant practice of our faith makes us stronger . . .

How the practice of our faith, through bible study, witnessing, and volunteering to help others, improves us.

And how through the practice of our faith others can see those improvements as we reap the benefits of our practice.

Just a thought over coffee!

Durango

Orpheus42
03-21-02, 09:59 PM
As a fellow golf hack, I can definitely connect with that. Very nice, man. Thank the Lord! :)

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

Breni Sue
03-22-02, 12:02 AM
Never been much of a golfer myself, but I think that we all can relate to this somehow. Practice makes perfect. ;)

Breni Sue
04-03-02, 12:08 PM
*bump*

Been drinking any more coffee lately, Durango? :D Haven't seen ya around.....