PDA

View Full Version : Reverend?????

Lee
01-27-02, 11:30 PM
Peace and Love,
I hear this word used quite often, and the only place it's found in the Kjv is in psalms 111 vs. 9 it read's "he sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverand is his name.

Do you guys think i'ts a wise thing to put this title before your name, I've thought a lot about it and would like to hear some of your view's..

Lee

Multimom
01-28-02, 12:28 PM
psalms 111 vs. 9 it read's "he sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverand is his name.

I checked the New King James and this was it's translation:

He has sent his redenption to his people; He has commanded His covenant forever; Holy and awesome is His name.

I went looking for other translations. But we don't have everything unpacked yet. So I couldn't post the other translations that I have. When I track down some others I'll post them.

Here are the others:

New Living Translation (NLT)
Psalm 111 9
He has paid a full ransom for his people.
He has guaranteed his covenant with them forever.
What a holy, awe-inspiring name he has!

Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Psalm 111:9 He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant for ever. Holy and terrible is his name!

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
Psalm 111:9 Redemption He hath sent to His people, He hath appointed to the age His covenant, Holy and fearful [is] His name.

Darby Translation (DARBY)
Psalm 111:9 He sent deliverance unto his people; he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and
terrible is his name.

I guess one might say just take your pick

:biggrin:

butterfly
01-28-02, 04:01 PM
Lalala, double post. Oopsie.

butterfly
01-28-02, 04:01 PM
My Dad's a minister and I know he doesn't like the whole reverend thing, he'd rather just be called by his name. I think it's more of a title than anything else, like Dr. or Judge. It's just a gesture of respect.

Catholic
01-28-02, 05:37 PM
Eh, I was about to say I didn't like it because it makes a minister sound holier than the rest of the people, but then I remembered all of the Catholic titles for bishops, cardinals and the pope. . .
:o

Lee
01-28-02, 08:01 PM
In all of my searching, i've found that the positions in the church, such as bishop and deacon are position's that will require you to alway's take the low seat. When Jesus spoke about the scribe's and the pharisees, he said everything they did was to be seen of men, enlarging the borders of their garment's, they like the chief seat's in the synagogues,greetings in the market's,they like to be called rabbi, master, father and Jesus said call no man master or father for you have one father! He said whoever exalted himself, would be abased.

It seems to me most people spend more time researching the detail's of a new car purchase than they do seeking the true word of God, im not saying this to be offensive, but i've heard statement's like: im not sure what my church believes, or i've been going to church for 7 yrs., but i haven't had a chance to read the bible,or I did not know that the bible listed the qualifications of a preacher. Our soul's are way to great to sell off so cheap, and just the thought of eternal life is greater than all of this life.
Lee

Breni Sue
01-29-02, 12:06 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the title. I look at it as a form of honor or respect. :)

Lee
01-29-02, 12:40 AM
I agree, there's nothing wrong with the title itself. Soloman said let the lip's of another praise thee and not thy own, and it's good to honor and respect all men and women, it just seem's to me that the only title we should put before our own names in the church would be brother or sister. Jesus said be ye not called rabbi, for one is your master and ye are all brethren. Do you know if this practice was taken from scripture, or where did it come from?

Lee

Multimom
01-29-02, 08:21 AM
Lee:

Because of recent study and instruction, some from Sis. Juanita Bynum and also reading Watchman Nee's book Spiritual Authority, I call my pastor, simply that Pastor. It is a title of respect and honor as he has that calling.

Also, in that I have learned to view him as "the father of the house" where I have joined in worship and I respect him and love him as such.

Since the word says they have the greater calling so they have the greater responsibility, I have no trouble ascribing to him the title of his calling. Its a personal decision mind you and from my study of God's word, I have absolutely no problem calling him a title according to his gifting.

johnlejeune
01-29-02, 11:06 PM
I have an unresolved issue with the title myself.

As I am in seminary, I look to the future as being
a servant to the body of Christ, and as not being
someone to reverance. Jesus deserves the reverance
not me.

I am unresolved at the moment, but I recall what
DL Moody told the Englishman during his London
campaign, when the Englishman called him
Rev. Moody.

Moody replied: "It's Mr. Moody, thank you!"

John

Lee
01-30-02, 11:27 PM
J.J,
Every time i hear it, i think of that scripture where paul said they worship the creature more than the creator. All of the responces im getting are it's a form of respect and honor. I have never read where the apostles or desciple's or the prophet's of old carried themselve's in this manner! The bible say's before honor is humility and that is not something you say but how you carry yourself. Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandment's, seem's to me this should be a higher priority!

Peace and Love

Lee

Multimom
01-31-02, 09:00 AM
Lee:

Let me tell you a story that may help explain my position to you. My husband and I were in church one Sunday (mind you now my husband was at the time in the Air Force, he is retired on medical as of now.) And being who we are with the honor we show the uniform, we were more than surprised to see a visitor among us in full dress uniform at that time bearing the rank of Captain. A few weeks later our church held this officer's promotion ceremony he was promoted to Lt. Colonel. My husband had the great honor of "installing" him in that office, being military himself.

Now, shortly after that he was deployed to Kwait for 2 years, (Let me say here that he was special forces, stationed at Ft. Bragg) Where he was the commander of US forces fof the UN forces in Kwait.

Because of my great respect for this man and his huge responsibility and understanding the need of special forces by our military, I found that my own respect caused me to treat him in a certain way. I always addressed him by his rank and without fail he would say, please call me Joe. I finally told him, "Sir, because of my great respect for you personally and what you do I simply cannot call you by your first name. It is not that I don't consider you a friend, because I do, but I feel the need to ascribe to you the respect due your rank and office." And to this day when I see him, I hug him and say "Col. Stepp it's so good to see you."

Its not about ascribing the honor of God to a man, but ascribing to him proper respect and acknowledging that there is more to the man than just the man.

I believe that God is pleased when we show the proper respect to those He has set in authority over us. (such as our pastors or prophets or apostles among us.) I daresay that anyone I know would walk up to our President and say "hey George, how's it going?" Its not about disrespecting God it about respecting each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. Now for me I can no more refere to my "Pastor" as Jim than I could refer to my dear friend Col. Stepp as Joe."

Pastors didn't set themselves up over us, the call of God on their lives did and I believe it honors God when we show them that we honor that call.

Lee
01-31-02, 08:04 PM
Multi-mom,
I think you may have mis-understood my post, as i said earlier the bible say's let the lips of another praise thee and not thy own. We have no control over how some-one may address us, and if some-one does want to honor you, that will abound to their blessing. But what im dealing with is the title's they give to them-selve's, and to pick one the bible has used one time as a reference to the almighty God of the universe and stick that in front of there name, that's beyond my undestanding!

Peace and Love
Lee

Multimom
01-31-02, 08:30 PM
Lee:

You were absolutely correct, I did miss-read your post. I see your point about someone else "requiring" you to address them in such a way. Of course in the military you know that they have no choice but to address their superiors as Sir or by their rank, but in the field of faith, I can see some concern about a person "demanding" to be addressed by Rev, or such.

Sorry about my confusion, being 40 is starting to get to me. ;)

Lee
01-31-02, 10:10 PM
Multimom,
No need to apologize, I enjoyed reading the story and im greatful for your responces and look foward to hearing more! On your earlier post, you qouted from many different versions of the bible, do you have one that you rely on, or do you reference from them all?
Peace and Love

Lee

Multimom
02-01-02, 09:28 AM
Personally I rely on one that I didn't use in my earlier post. I prefer the Amplified Bible. In great deal because upon further study of the greek of a particular reference say from the NIV I will alot of times find that the "clearer" meaining is included in parenthesis in the Amplified.

What I did to create that post, was I went to an Online Bible it was like a huge interliner Bible which if I remember has references from about 6-8 different translations, truthfully some I was not familiar with. I copied and pasted them to a "word" document then copied that and pasted it to my post.

Pretty time comsuming but it got out what I wanted to put in, but as I said for myself I prefer the Amplified, which was not one of the translations in the On-line Bible that I used.

I'm glad you enjoyed my story. ;)