PDA

View Full Version : secular vs. Christian

Nampula
08-02-01, 08:48 PM
ok for those of you who like secular music because you can't find Christian bands that sound like them, i went to CIY and heard phil chalmers speak and he said that his website lists secular bands and Christian sound-alikes.. i haven't been there, so i can't guarantee its accuracy, but you might get something out of it..

www.philchalmers.com

Deliriou5?
08-09-01, 04:44 PM
I think it was Dawson Macalister who said it, but there is no reason to listen to secular music. He puts it like this. He says:

"Many young people today are saying that they dont listen to the words of the music but rather the tune. So what? Do you get moved by the spirit of it? Kind of puts it into perspecive doesnt it?"

I thought that was a killer comment.

I will leave it at that.

crossrhythm
08-09-01, 04:58 PM
I would say there is a reason to secular music, that reason being that most musical advances happen in the secular world first. Christian music, with the possible exception of black gospel, has pretty much copied secular music styles from the beginning. So, if you're a musician, which I am, then it is sometimes helpful to listen to secular music so that you can get ideas for songs and different styles of music. As I've pointed out before, the first Christian rock bands obviously had to listen to secular rock music to get their ideas, so as long as the Christian music industry continues to let the secular music industry come up with new styles, then musicians who wish to advance with the times will have to listen to secular music.

Nampula
08-10-01, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by crossrhythm
I would say there is a reason to secular music, that reason being that most musical advances happen in the secular world first. Christian music, with the possible exception of black gospel, has pretty much copied secular music styles from the beginning

;) methinks you should check out madison greene... i can guarantee that's not like any secular rock music....

actually, though, you're right.. the rest of what you said brings up an interesting point... a lot of people think that carbon-copy Christian bands are wrong, but i look at it as a kind of ethnomusicology....

ethnomusicology, by the way, is a branch of mission work where GOD leads you to study the music of a particular culture to whom you're ministering to, and then you write praise songs to that style of music.. it makes the transition to Christianity much easier for them-- could you imagine west african tribesmen singing English hymns?

anyway, americans need it just as much as west africans-- you really put that into perspective for me... thanks!

MikeMcK
03-31-02, 12:06 AM
I said this in another thread, but the reason I don't listen to more Christian music is that they just don't make it in a style that I like.

There's some good CCM out there, but after a while, it starts to get a little repetitive.

Does anybody know if there's any Christian alt.country/Americana or roots?

Mike

http://www.keylife.org

Chris B
04-05-02, 09:06 PM
Dawson Macalister is a scary guy.

I don't think music can be either secular or Christian... I think that is up to the lyrics. Music can, however, be ugly or beautiful, innovative or copied, etc.

Someone said that they think it is a good idea for Christian groups to sound exactly like secular ones for ministry reasons (although they used some ridiculously long word). Check out ApologetiX, "that Christian parody band". good stuff. http://www.apologetix.com

ok for those of you who like secular music because you can't find Christian bands that sound like them, i went to CIY and heard phil chalmers speak and he said that his website lists secular bands and Christian sound-alikesoh goody, Christian music that sounds like everything else. how fun. :rolleyes:

While we are on the topic... does anybody know of a secular group that sounds like SoulJunk?

Nampula
04-14-02, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Chris B
oh goody, Christian music that sounds like everything else. how fun. :rolleyes:

[/B]

ouch. some people don't want to listen to secular music, but they don't want to limit themselves to cheesey strereotypes of CCM..

and, MikeMcK.. i'm sure its out there, and i can look for it if you want.. if you're interested, feel free to IM me (my screenname is in my sig)

Orpheus42
04-14-02, 09:18 PM
I've never heard a secular equivalent to Iona, those guys rock