PDA

View Full Version : Is There Enough Interest to Create A Senior Center Board? Or A 40 or 50+ Section?

Ann
01-21-02, 12:45 AM
ILJ is becoming a very youth interest centered site. This is a very good thing but I am wondering if there would be interest in something aiming towards older members too. ??????????

Orpheus42
01-27-02, 10:27 PM
I was just thinking... if the place is becoming more and more youth-focused, a poll might not be the best way to discern whether such a board is needed or desirable.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

Ann
01-29-02, 12:40 AM
That's true but I couldn't think of a better way to see if the few folks who emailed me were really wanting a forum more geared to their interests. If you can please do. It seems so far we have a huge pool of complete disinterest. :)

Breni Sue
01-29-02, 01:19 AM
The only concern I have is that it may go the way of the Men and Women's forums, or even the Gen-X forum. If they have any particular interests they could post them in this forum if they want. We seem to be drawing folks of various ages here. ;)

cujo95
01-29-02, 09:47 PM
I am 54, so I guess to some that makes me a senior citizen.. Although I don't see myself that way.

But I don't see a SS board as contributing that much to fellowship here.
I think that all of us who know Christ can share God working in our lives and what he is saying to us- and I don't see age as any barrier. I can share and learn things just as well from senior and also from a teen, or even a pre-teen.

I think that if there is an interest among seniors, then they will make it known on the Suggestion Board.

But I, for one, don't have any real interest in a senior"s board.

cujo

grandpa
01-29-02, 10:04 PM
:) Hi All. If an "old Board" is installed, I can think of two things that come to the surface. First is publicity that there is such a thing.
Second: The "Old Board" could be used as a forum to publish the trashy ways that the "Guvmint" runs over senior citizens. You young folks, You will be there before you know it. Better start doing something about it now. "Example" Between the ages of 62 and 65, You can only make about 10,500 and the Guvmint starts taking back "1 Dollar" for every "2 dollars" that you make. Why should your Social Security Retirement Benefits be axed this way. There is a Bill in Congress NOW to delete the "earnings Limitations" on your retirement. There is more. If YOU do not stand up, Who will. Agape. Grandpa.:) :D :biggrin:

Flannel Avenger
01-30-02, 09:15 PM
The Government has waaaaaaaaay too much money as it is. They don't need to be messin' with old folks! Now we know the real reason some people are campaigning about Seniors having to choose between food and medication!

gzuznme
01-30-02, 10:55 PM
Im 44, but it really doesnt matter about the board, if we are all fellowshiping, if we are all on the same page, and that is to become even more closer to Christ, then why should it matter?

grandpa
01-31-02, 03:38 PM
:) :biggrin: Hi All. Grandpa here: Pass this data along if you can. To the best of my knowledge, there is a bill in congress "H.R. 1731" sponsored by Rep. Pete Sessions of Texas. This bill will repeal the limitation of the amount of outside income which beneficiaries age 62 to 65 may earn without incurring a reduction in benefits.
What to do: Write, call, and E mail your congressman and Senators and send one to the White House. It is Your Money. Act Now. Agape. Grandpa.:smash: :)

Ann
01-31-02, 03:40 PM
It doesn't matter to me. The reason for the post was simply that some folks had emailed me saying they felt a bit left out (apparently realizing that I am older than dirt) and I wanted to give opportunity for anyone interested to respond. :)
There are sometimes things that are of more interest to one age group than to another. For example grandparents find other grandparents more interested in photos of their kids than most young ******* might be, concerns about retirement planning, dealing with how it feels to have a spouse showing signs of age related deterioration, the afore mentioned gubbermint concerns while some of the younger folks are more oriented towards certain music styles than are most older folks, more into dating questions, school, tyrany game posts, etc.

At least most folks here have stopped replying to my posts with "how old ARE you anyway" or "You sound way old" which was the chorus of my first 2 years on the board. (ilgwamh we really need that sigh icon)

For the record please allow me to restate what I have often said that there is often more truth on Teen Scene and more Godly compassion than everywhere else combined. Sometimes I read through some of the posts there just because it blesses me.

Breni Sue
02-01-02, 02:07 AM
To the best of my knowledge, there is a bill in congress "H.R. 1731" sponsored by Rep. Pete Sessions of Texas. This bill will repeal the limitation of the amount of outside income which beneficiaries age 62 to 65 may earn without incurring a reduction in benefits. Grandpa, what would this mean exactly if it were passed, and how would it affect future retirees? I admit I am not as informed on these kinds of events as I ought to be! :o

Breni Sue
02-01-02, 02:26 AM
For example grandparents find other grandparents more interested in photos of their kids than most young ******* might be, concerns about retirement planning, dealing with how it feels to have a spouse showing signs of age related deterioration, the afore mentioned gubbermint concerns while some of the younger folks are more oriented towards certain music styles than are most older folks, more into dating questions, school, tyrany game posts, etc. Well, #1, the Tyrant thing is pretty much kept in the Wacky forum. ;)

#2, being almost 30, I feel I am sort of "in-between". I love to goof-off and and talk about youth-related matters (hey, I am still a 20-something for another 9 months! ;) ). But I am also interested in "gubbermint" stuff - as you put it, talking about kids, planning for retirement, etc... I think that this forum could cater to both sides if we all gave it a shot. Afterall, it does not specify an age limit - all Christians are welcome to come in here and fellowship. :)

grandpa
02-01-02, 07:16 PM
:) Dear Mizz Kyrie: Here is the data as I understand it. If a person between the ages of 62 and 65 is retired and drawing Soc. Sec. Benefits, that person can only make a certain amount of money before the Soc. Sec. Benefits are penalized or cut off. I called the Soc. Sec. Off. today and was told this. "You can make up to $11,280.00 for the year 2002. This translates to $940.00 per month. If a person were drawing benefits and were to be working and making more that $940.00/month, the Soc. Sec. Folks would ask how much are you expecting to make? They would then interpolate this data and with hold your monthly benefit checks until a certain requirement was met. This: They would hold back $1.00 for every $2.00 That you would make over the $11,280.00 benchmark for the year 2002. If you were fortunate enough to be making Approx. 40,000.00 or a bit above, You would not receive any benefits. This also applies to the Wifes Benefit check, if she were geting Soc. Sec. Benefits also.

I realize that by posting this data on the innernet, I may have opened a large bag of Worms.
But: If any of this data that I have posted is in error, Plez correct me. Spread the word and ask our exalted legislators to repeal these earnings limits.

You younger folks, This may mean that your parents and grandparents will have a bit more money to support themselves and you will not have to pony up to help them out. Agape. Grandpa.:) :D :biggrin:

P.S. I just know that you would if the need arose.
Grandpa.

Ann
02-03-02, 02:05 AM
Bren
1. As of now tryany may be mainly on the wacky bd but at the time the folks were emailing me it was all over the place if you remember. This was not the only thing as you can guess it was just one thing mentioned. Apparently some felt there was no place for them here.

2. As I have said before the purpose of the post was to give those who had emailed an opportunity to express their views in a way that they could be considered by those who designed the forums. My present conclusion is that either they had already gone away or they just wanted to gripe by email and not to offer an opinion on a solution. I really feel a bit hung out to dry by both "sides" at this point. I wasn't trying to start a problem but to offer a possible solution. At this point I wish I had just hot delete and not tried.

Breni Sue
02-03-02, 03:17 AM
I knew you weren't trying to cause problems, Ann. :) That has never been your style, and I know how much these boards mean to you. I guess I would just like to see this this forum here really "take-off", and try to encourage people of all ages to post in here before trying to open a new forum that could possibly become a dud, that's all.

bumpas
02-17-02, 08:17 AM
I am so old that i can remember when a curser was someone who walked around swearing all of the time.

[admin note]
Hi Mr. Bumpass. I edited your post because I didin't feel its contents were apprpriate. If you have any questions feel free to email me or another mod or admin.
[end/ admin note]

Cheri
10-28-02, 07:13 AM
I dunno. Just felt like it was a good idea.

Caretaker
10-28-02, 08:19 AM
The question arises, are there enough of us in this category to warrent a geriatric section, and how much use would it get?

Pass the Geritol please ;)

Cheri
10-28-02, 08:23 AM
One of my pet peeves is people who dont have kids giving advice to people who do. Not just here but at other boards as well.

Caretaker
10-28-02, 09:01 AM
Dear Spirit~Walking;

I agree, and in my case my oldest daughter is almost 30, and one of my granddaughters is the same age as some of the posters in the teen section.

In the specific case of ILJ, I would doubt that there are more than just a handfull of us who can remember Elvis without the sideburns, Oral Roberts from the big tent, the "duck and cover" drills in school, the Nixon/Kennedy debate, pre-Beatles, pre-Vietnam, when the biggest problem in schools: was running in the halls, chewing gum in class, and boys sneaking over to the girls side of the school,(guilty here ;)

Society may have been simpler then, but we also had segregation, polio, no satelight communications, no microfilm so research in the library was thumbing through stacks of old magazines and newspapers, or the World Book or Encyclopedia Brittanica. Pneumonia could often be fatal and we had penicillian but antibiotics were still on the horizon, and lasers were the realm of science fiction.

I do not know if there is enough interest in an over-40 section, but as it was hard to relate to my parents who came through the Great Depression, and Ration stamps, there is a generation before overhead projectors who used Hymnals and Chorus Books.

May God truly bless, and lead ever closer to His Throne of Glory.

Cheri
10-28-02, 09:48 PM
Well I am just under the 40+ heehee......I have 3 mos left.:blush: