PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Sermon 1-11-02

ISDAMan
01-11-02, 11:13 PM
Hello, my fellow FNSers! Next week we're going to get back to our regularly scheduled FNS but this week we're going to concentrate on the most special gift from God. This gift is so special, in fact, that all the other gifts hinge on this one alone. The gift that I speak of is love. Without God first loving us we wouldn't stand a chance of loving Him, much less having eternal life.
We're going to look at 1 Corinthians 13. What we're going to find in this chapter is the importance of love. There are all sorts of gifts from God that are great but they are not like love. So let's get right to it.

1 Corinthians 13: 1 13 KJV-
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth
not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail;
whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought
as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly;
but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
1 Corinthians 13:1-13 NLT
1 If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth
but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be? And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody. 3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it;
but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.
4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. 6 It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

8 Love will last forever, but prophecy and speaking in unknown languages
and special knowledge will all disappear. 9 Now we know only a little, and even the gift of prophecy reveals little! 10 But when the end comes, these special gifts will all disappear. 11 It's like this: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child does. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. 12 Now we see things imperfectly as in a poor mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.
All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God knows me now. 13 There are three things that will endure faith, hope, and love and the greatest of these is love.

It's clearly shown from what we just read that love is above every other gift. Often we strive for other gifts while we settle for the assumption that we have the love we need. Everywhere you look there are books on speaking in tongues, more than ever there are books on prophecy. These are wonderful gifts to desire to have and study about, yet we cannot all have them. The one gift that we all can have is love. That's the gift we need to study. I'm not going to give a big production on the nature of love. It's right here and you can read it for yourself. What I want to focus on is that love has a want attached to it. Love wants the best good for a focus other than itself. Love exists by willpower. If you love someone or something whether it is righteous love or greedy love you love because you want to. As Christians we need to know this, because we need to guard ourselves against being exposed to things that we may come to desire and love. I speak of things that we have no business loving. It's also important to know this because it can help shape what people and things we do surround ourselves with, so we can find the right people and things we are to love. Yes we need to love all people, but we do need to guard ourselves against the ways of some people. The way of the world is to have love if it gets me what I want. However, what God intended was that love follow along in His plans for man. If we really love someone we will look to be a benefit to them rather than expecting them to be a benefit to us.
Caring as I'm sure you are, you likely do want to have the best good for those you love. I would just like to remind you that Jesus told us to take care of the beam in our own eyes before we take care of the speck in someone else's. In short, if we do intend to give the best good to others we need to have ourselves properly in tuned with the love we intend to share. If we say we have love, then we need to act like we do, by first being in love with God, the author of love. This is His gift that we can be like Him. We can share good. We can spread light and righteousness. We can be productive and full of life. So, on this good note, I'll close.

God bless you all,
Isdaman