PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you think?

Multimom
01-07-02, 12:37 PM
The Old Testament is the New Testament concealed, the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed.

Quoted from Dr. Mitchell, Church on the Rock International, North, in Dallas.

What do you think? I brought this here because I wanted a believer's only perspective.

Flannel Avenger
01-07-02, 01:07 PM
I think it's pretty true. A lot of stuff in the Old Testament points torwards Christ, and a lot of the End Time Prophecy makes a lot more sense when you look at it with the New Testament End Time Prophecy with it.

Breni Sue
01-07-02, 01:18 PM
This is why I was always told to read the NT first and and OT after that. Because for a lot of Christians, the prophesy stuff in the OT really doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you have the NT to know what they are talking about. But then I supose it could be argued that way vice-versa. Personally though, I found it made a lot more sense to read the NT first. I understood everything so much better. :)

HeatherlyButterfly
01-07-02, 05:42 PM
DUDE!!! If only my notes were in this room still!!! (i'm in between dorm rooms right now!) ok...

there are TONS of parallels and allusions and all those other cool literary things. the authors of certain books even knew they were doing it sometimes, or understood complex themes and structures and unknowingly gave us connections.

the most famous passages to base that quote off of are Isaiah's voice calling in the wilderness compared to John the Baptist. and then the suffering servant song in Isaiah 43 compared to the trial and crucifixion of Jesus.

there are tons more things about it too! and our biblical studies advisor told us all these cool things that i have in my notes, but i don't know where they are... a box someplace. but if jase gets on here he's sure to jump at the chance. he could maybe even convince DW himself (our prof and advisor) and answer this even better.

i'll try to search up those notes too...

Love in Christ,
heather raye

ManInBlack
01-07-02, 06:07 PM
As my sunday school teacher said, "I can't remember Joshua ever making a mistake. I mean, we have mistakes across the board from people like Moses, Abraham, David and many others making mistakes but I can't ever remember Joshua making one." Then you think about it, and Joshua = Hebrew for Jesus, who had a similar situation :)

Blessings,
Zechariah

faeroeisle
01-08-02, 01:53 AM
z- wow, what a realization that just hit! i never thought of that before. i'm in awe.

Orpheus42
01-08-02, 11:51 PM
As DW would say, the New Testament is latent in the Old, and the Old Testament is made patent in the New. Very similiar to what Mitchell is saying. In fact, most every doctrine exposed in the New Testament is latent on the Old Testament. Currently I'm working on a project attempting to show that the basis of Jesus' claim that the messiah is God is much more strongly based in the Old Testament than has perhaps ever been argued before. I'll let you know how it turns out. ;) One would certainly think a teaching of THAT magnitude would be at least alluded to in the Hebrew scriptures.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason