PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve

Ann
12-30-01, 09:36 PM
It is a tradition with our church as with many others to come together to pary and praise in the new year. When we were not with a church that did this we did it privately. This has been really special to me and often it is a time that the Lord shows us what may be in store for the new year or gives us specific words of guidance, warning, or instruction for the year. Do you or your church do this? What do you do? And what has the Lord shown you for the new year?

Happy and blessed and safe new year to you all!

Nicole
12-30-01, 09:46 PM
That sounds cool - my church has never really done anything for the new year - the youth group has done some stuff a couple times - but they were mostly fellowship oriented.

My mom's birthday is December 31st - so my family usually spends that day celebrating her birthday.

Happy New Year to you too!

HelenSL
12-31-01, 07:13 AM
Hi Ann!

This is my first post on this new board...hi everyone! :)

Our church always has a prayer and praise party on New Year's Eve but its a time I'd rather be with my family (my husband's an atheist and wouldn't go) so I haven't been to that. It's not a midnight one - it's from 7-9 p.m.

Oh, two years ago they didn't because they were having a Bible Reading Marathon, reading the whole Bible, sequentially, for the last 3 days of the Millenium, in the sanctuary. So that was going on all through New Years' Eve, 1999.

Yesterday in Sunday School we were asked what Scripture has been meaningful to us in 2001. In the service we were challenged to commit to reading the whole Bible in 2002 (http://www.calvarymemorial.com/ponder/PTdisplay.asp?ArticleID=164) and given reading charts, breaking it down into daily amounts (three chapters a day, it seems - 2 OT, 1 NT, in order).

love
Helen

Nicole
12-31-01, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by HelenSL
Yesterday in Sunday School we were asked what Scripture has been meaningful to us in 2001. In the service we were challenged to commit to reading the whole Bible in 2002 (http://www.calvarymemorial.com/ponder/PTdisplay.asp?ArticleID=164) and given reading charts, breaking it down into daily amounts (three chapters a day, it seems - 2 OT, 1 NT, in order).

I finally did that this year - actually I have like 3 chapters left - it's hard to really get into studying the Bible when you read it through that fast - but it was cool to read it just straight through.