PDA

View Full Version : Very Basic QUestion -

Bob Carabbio
08-26-16, 10:29 PM
WHY should we be Baptized, after we're born again???? Yeah - I know the Bible SAYS TO DO IT, and so we do it.

I did it 53 years ago 4 days after I was Saved (Greenwood Baptist in Pasadena, TX kept their tank FULL and Warm - and used it constantly, as their congregation members got people saved in their homes, and brought em in every week). When I was BAptized, I felt that I'd been obedient certainly to what the CHURCH told me to do, but it changed Nothing otherwise.

The "Baptist story was that "Baptism is a symbolic TESTIMONY about what Jesus DID in your life". I can see that it could be that.

And it's Biblically OBVIOUS that Paedobaptism is nothing more than a superstitious activity that supposedly "saves babies" from all sorts of ugly stuff, and gets 'em temporary "Fire Insurance".

BUT -

WHY are we instructed to do it???? The AG (and Baptists) consider it to be a NON-Sacramental Ordinance, that we "just DO" for no particular reason, other than what the theology teaches. Is that all it is?????

Paulo
08-26-16, 10:38 PM
Interesting question. I actually haven't been baptized. This is because in the Epistles, it talks about wrongly insisting on circumcision when it should be the HEART which is metaphorically circumcised. I feel these days people insist on baptism as a necessity the way in those days people insisted on circumcision as a necessity. And, I REALLY don't like that. True baptism as true circumcision is of the heart.

I don't know whether or not I'll be baptized literally. Paedobaptism I've heard described by some as being like 'branding a baby'.

Bob Carabbio
08-27-16, 02:16 PM
Interesting question. I actually haven't been baptized. This is because in the Epistles, it talks about wrongly insisting on circumcision when it should be the HEART which is metaphorically circumcised. I feel these days people insist on baptism as a necessity the way in those days people insisted on circumcision as a necessity. And, I REALLY don't like that. True baptism as true circumcision is of the heart.

And yet people in the new testament AFTER the Ressurection were baptised - apparently in Water.

I don't know whether or not I'll be baptized literally.

I wouldn't - until/IF you feel that you should. (Rom 14)

Paedobaptism I've heard described by some as being like 'branding a baby'.

WHen you adopt in Massachusetts, you must be the same religious genre as the adoptive child. SO if the child was paedobaptised into the Catholic Church (as both myself and my wife were), then a protestant family wouldn't be considered as an adoptive family (at least as late as 1970). So the"Branding" concept makes some sense.

Ann
08-27-16, 11:03 PM
When we are trying to understand a custom or practice from the Bible it help to learn what it meant to the people who first used it and why they did it. Baptism is one of those things. Most all of us know about the “Baptism of John.” Many say that it signified repentance based on John telling people to bring forth fruit in their lives that showed repentance in Msyyhew 3:8 however we also see Jesus coming to be baptized and surely he had no sin from which he needed to repent so we need to look a little deeper. When we do we see the tradition of the “mikveh” which in Jewish practice was a ritual bath or cleansing. It was used to remove natural or ceremonial uncleanness. We also see the tradition of a ritual bath – baptism – to signify ending one phase of life and entering into another especially entering into a life dedicated to God. Buried symbolically to their old life and reborn into new life Some Jewish synagogues practice this now as when a gentile woman converts to Judaism to marry a Jewish man. It seems reasonable that this was the reason Jesus wanted John to immerse him to “fulfill all righteousness” New Testament believers would likely have seen baptism in that context as do many modern believers. For others it is simply that the Bible says do it or shows new believers doing it and so they do in obedience to God.

Bob Carabbio
08-27-16, 11:50 PM
When we are trying to understand a custom or practice from the Bible it help to learn what it meant to the people who first used it and why they did it. Baptism is one of those things. Most all of us know about the “Baptism of John.” Many say that it signified repentance based on John telling people to bring forth fruit in their lives that showed repentance in Msyyhew 3:8 however we also see Jesus coming to be baptized and surely he had no sin from which he needed to repent so we need to look a little deeper. When we do we see the tradition of the “mikveh” which in Jewish practice was a ritual bath or cleansing. It was used to remove natural or ceremonial uncleanness. We also see the tradition of a ritual bath – baptism – to signify ending one phase of life and entering into another especially entering into a life dedicated to God. Buried symbolically to their old life and reborn into new life Some Jewish synagogues practice this now as when a gentile woman converts to Judaism to marry a Jewish man. It seems reasonable that this was the reason Jesus wanted John to immerse him to “fulfill all righteousness” New Testament believers would likely have seen baptism in that context as do many modern believers. For others it is simply that the Bible says do it or shows new believers doing it and so they do in obedience to God.

Strikes me that Jesus' baptism was a Baptism of REPENTANCE also. Not of SIN of course, since HE had none. "Repentance" doesn't necessarily have anything to DO with sin, or being "Sorry about anything" - it essentially means to STOP, turn around, and GO a different way.

OF course that's EXACTLY what Jesus did at the time ordained by God. He STOPPED being the head of Mary's family (as the eldest child), and BEGAN his Earthly Ministry as Messiah after that the Holy Spirit Came upon Him and Stayed.

He was immediately driven into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit, and tempted with EXACTLY the same temptations as A&E were - He aced 'em - and walked out into His ministry to Israel, and finally was Killed as the perfect SIN OFFERING as planned from before the Creation.

I'm essentially O.K. with CHRISTIAN Baptism being a "Testimonial", BUT it seems like there'd be more to it than just that.

Paulo
08-28-16, 12:46 PM
and tempted with EXACTLY the same temptations as A&E were - He aced 'em

Love this part of your post in particular! :)