PDA

View Full Version : memorizing scripture

Nicole
12-26-01, 07:40 PM
anyone got any "tricks" that help them memorize/meditate on scripture?

I know that I need to memorize scripture - but it's always been a weak area for me - I start to do it - then I stop - then I start again - then I stop - and so on..

Anyway - right now I'm working on 2 Peter 1:3-4

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his great and precious promises, so that through these you may participate in the divine nature and escape corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

Vinnie
12-26-01, 10:56 PM
Personally, I try to understand things more than memorizing them. It takes long enough to try and understand things for me to memerize. Though, in all my studies I know quite a bit of scripture. I don't always know where certain things in my head can be found but I know they are in there in the bible somewhere. The beatiful thing about search engines, online Bibles and concordances is I can find the exact passage I am looking for in under 30 seconds usually :)

butterfly
12-26-01, 11:50 PM
Get some post-its and post the verse on your mirror and on your door, so when you're using the mirror or leaving your room, you'll see the verse. I need to memorise scripture more too. The other night I was downtown with the youth group handing out stockings and we came across a guy who said he was searching for God but that he felt the devil was keeping him back, I wanted to give him a scripture and I knew of some that would have been perfect but I couldn't remember any of them. That was a real convicting experience for me. Hey, I know, do you want to start memorising verses together? That way we'd kind of be able to keep each other accountable and stuff. It's just an idea, let me know what you think! :)

FifthTrptSounded
12-27-01, 12:09 AM
I have some awesome Greek and Hebrew programs that have memory drills so I'm memorizing verses in the original Greek and Hebrew. It's pretty nifty... and this way you're not having to re-learn verses with different translations... ;)

Breni Sue
12-27-01, 02:22 AM
I am with Vinnie. I tend to get more out of Scriptur if I try to understand it instead of memorizing. I can remember in Sunday School they used to have us memorize verses. Which I did prefectly. But the thing was, I had no idea what they even meant! :confused: I have found that the more I sit myself down and try to soak in the meaning of what I am reading, the more it is bound to stick with me. And in the end, the more meaningful it will be to someone else when I use it to help them, because then I can explain to them what it means.

I am usually pretty good about knowing which book a particular verse is in, but I am horrible though about remembering where it is specifically (chapter and verse #, that is), or its exact wording. Most of the time I am like "Well, somewhere in Romans it says something like..."

I am quite fond of Bible Gateway, BTW! ;)

Nicole
12-27-01, 08:25 AM
yeah - The Bible search engines are great - I like the one at crosswalk better than gateway though!

I also try to look at the meaning of the verse - apply it to my life and such. I guess it's just what Cath said - I want to be able to tell someone a verse even if I don't have my bible - or computer - right next to me. I once heard of an 80 year old woman who memorized the entire New Testament! :eek: If I'm in a situation where I can't or don't have my Bible for some reason - I still want to have it in my head - word for word.

Cath - that sounds good! You want to start with the one I posted in the first post?

butterfly
12-27-01, 02:47 PM
Okee-doke. :) When do you want to have it memorised by? I also like what Vinnie and Kyrie were saying, about getting the meaning as well instead of just trying to memorise it. Maybe we could do a study on 2 Peter chapter 1 and then for whenever you want to have the verse memorised by, each post a little blurb about the chapter or something like that.

Nicole
12-27-01, 02:50 PM
sounds good

say - have it memorized by tomorrow?

butterfly
12-27-01, 02:53 PM
Tommorow? :eek: Wow, well okay, I like a challenge!

Nicole
12-27-01, 03:10 PM
hehehe

Lois 2002
12-28-01, 11:31 AM
<<I have some awesome Greek and Hebrew programs that have memory drills so I'm memorizing verses in the original Greek and Hebrew. It's pretty nifty... and this way you're not having to re-learn verses with different translations...>>

Can you tell me more? When can you buy these programs at?

Nicole
12-28-01, 01:10 PM
ok..here goes:

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who has called us according to his glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious gifts so that we may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires

2 Peter 1:3-4

*goes to check and see if she got it*

yeah..almost..messed up a little bit - it's "by his own glory" instead of "according to his"

but - it's the same thing basically!

now - for the important part - application to life!

to me - it's saying that God has given us everything! He did this so that we could enjoy the life he wants for us. To "escape the corruption of the world." Sadly, though - we often participate in that corruption instead of the "divine nature." The verse shows me that God has a great plan for my life - and If I follow him - I can experience that plan - the "life and godliness" he has to offer!

Cath?

butterfly
12-28-01, 05:29 PM
Here goes.....

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life, and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by him own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that through them we may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption of the world caused by evil desires."

Phew, that was hard! Did I get it?........Oops, it was you may participate not we may and it was in the world not of the world, but it's still pretty close. :)

Meaning: Well, basically, God has provided us with everything we need in our lives. He has already given us everything we need to become more holy and more like him and to "escape the corruption of the world." It's all there, right in front of us, we just don't see it. I know myself that often I say "oh well, I can't witness because I'm too shy but if God would make me less shy, I could." Well, in reality, that's just an excuse since God has already given me that power. The gift is there right in front of me, I just need to use it.

Nicole
12-28-01, 05:32 PM
spiffy - what shall we memorize next? you can pick one out this time!

butterfly
12-28-01, 05:44 PM
How about this one?

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.If anyone has material possesions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."
1 John 3:16-18

I don't think I can have this memorised by tommorow, I also want to be able to remember the first one too (otherwise, what's the point of memorising it?) So, next time, we should repeat the 2 Peter one as well as this one, just to make sure we still remember it. It's going to get hard once we have more, but I think it's best if we do. Could we maybe do this 3 days from now?

Nicole
12-28-01, 05:53 PM
sounds good - so Monday?

butterfly
12-28-01, 05:59 PM
*counts in head, Friday, Saturday, Sunday....* Yep, Monday it is! :)

Ann
12-28-01, 10:19 PM
Something that works for me and a lot of other people -besides posting the verse everywhere so you see it constantly which is a good way too - is to learn it by singing it. This can be a scripture chorus that someone else wrote or just a tune even a nursery rhyme type tune or one you make up with the help of the Holy Spirit. I still know scriptures from years ago just because I was part of a fellowship that sang scriptures a lot more than "songs". We "memorized" without really trying and just like with kids and commercials the tune makes it stick in your head. Of course no oine but God wants ever to hear me sing anything but He is happy with a joyful noise.

I don't see understanding and memorizing as different things but as all part of one whole, hiding the word in our hearts so it will be our guide.

Suggestion: why not try to memorize some basic salvation verses so when you want to share Jesus you'll be "armed and ready" John 3:16, Romans 3:23 & 6:23, 1 John $:10 are good starters.

Nicole
12-28-01, 10:27 PM
Thanks Ann

I always get the Romans 3:23 and 6:23 messed up - i know the verses....i just switch the reference half the time - you wouldn't happen to have a handy trick to remembering which is which would you? :)

I'm not sure what the 1 John one is - *goes off to look it up*

1 John $:10 are good starters.

I seem to be having trouble finding chapter $ ;) I assume you mean 4? lol

Vinnie
12-29-01, 11:55 AM
I don't see understanding and memorizing as different things but as all part of one whole, hiding the word in our hearts so it will be our guide.

I agree that you can't bifurcate between memorizing and understanding with some scripture passages. Sometimes passages seem to teach the opposite thing and I think they should be understood before memorized. Its part of my nature to question EVERYTHING as well so I may just be on a different page.
Hey, do Romans 8:38-39 after that ;)

I do want to memorize 1 Cor 13 :)

Breni Sue
12-29-01, 01:27 PM
1Cornthians 13:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

*sigh* That has to be one of my favorites! I can't believe I have never memorized it myself, considering the many times I have read it! :)

butterfly
12-30-01, 01:25 AM
Wow, we sure are getting a lot of suggestions Nicole! We're going to have to make a list or something. Anyone else care to join us?

Multimom
12-30-01, 03:58 PM
Hey princess, being a musician (by trade and by nature) the easiest way I have found to memorize scripture is to find a little melody to sing it to. For some reason making that musical connection ingrains it.

Case in point how many songs do you REALLY HATE, but for some unexplainable reason know all the words to?

It really works for me.

butterfly
12-30-01, 06:30 PM
LOL, that's how I prepared for my Biology Final! :)

"We love DNA
made of nucleotides,
phosphate, sugar and a base,
bonded down one side.

Adenine and Thymine
make a lovely pair.
Cytosine without Guanine
would feel very bare!"

To the tune of row, row, row your boat. There were more verses, I just can't remember them all. Anyways, back ON topic now. I'm not sure how exactly those bible verses would go to music without changing the words around.

Nicole
12-30-01, 08:13 PM
I have a CD that has like 20 something verses on it all to song - I suppose I should listen to it!

calvaryman
12-30-01, 08:42 PM
<b>"as His divne power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us in glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."
</b>

Ephesians 1:3-4

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,"

Ann
12-30-01, 09:09 PM
:blush: Yes 4:10 (1 John) sigh I guess I still hold the worst typist title around here - and worst proof reader too.

I used to get the Romans verses hopelessly mixed up on their addresses until I finally realized that they come in order - that is when sharing the gospel I normally point out that we all have a problem (sin- Romans 3:23) and God has the only solution that works (Romans 6:23) . The verse about the problem comes before the verse about the solution. And I would hate for anyopne to know how many years it took before I realized that. :blush: :blush:

Nicole
12-30-01, 09:42 PM
I can't believe I never noticed that the Roman verses come in order before! :blush: Well - at least I know how to remember which is which now! Thanks Ann!

And - I'm sure your not the worst typist - maybe a bad proof-reader ;) but not the worse typist! :)

butterfly
01-01-02, 03:37 PM
Nicole, we're a day late!!!!! Oops! :blush: I'm so sorry. :( Well, I've got it now.

First one: "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who has called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that through these you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."

Second one: "This is how we know what love is. Jesus Christ laid down his life for us and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possesions and sees his brother in need, but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue, but with action and in truth."

Meaning: Well, the meaning seems pretty clear. Actions speak louder then words. It's easy to say "I love God" but if you don't obey his commandment to love others then how are you truly loving him? Love is not meant to be kept to yourself, it is meant to be shared. Also, through Jesus' sacrifice we have a model of what true love is.

Nicole
01-01-02, 06:39 PM
I'm the one that should be :blush: - I haven't even hardly attempted to memorize the second one - but let's see what I got!

first one: His divine nature has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that we may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption of the world caused by evil desires. 2 Peter 1:3-4

second: This is how we know what love is that Jesus Christ layed down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.......

I'll have to work on the second half later to get the memorization part down.

Meaning: Basically - it's like the whole faith without works is dead thing. If you really love Jesus - it's gonna show up in your life - and one way it shows up is through serving others.

butterfly
01-01-02, 07:01 PM
No worries Nicole. You'll get it! And when you do, it's your turn to pick the next verse. :)

Nicole
01-02-02, 10:39 AM
alrighty, here goes:

This is how we know what love is; Jesus Christ layed down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother in need and has not pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 1 John 3:16-17

next verse: Psalms 51:10-12

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.

I already know the meaning - or at least part of it - for me. This verse is going to be my prayer - I've gotten so slack and complacent in my walk with Jesus - and I want a pure heart - and the joy of salvation renewed.

I'll be away until Saturday night - so you wanna just have it memorized by then?

butterfly
01-02-02, 04:37 PM
Sounds good! Saturday it is! :)

butterfly
01-05-02, 06:58 PM
"By his divine power, he has given us everything we need for life, and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possesions and sees his brother in need yet has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

"Create in my a pure heart O God and renew a steadfast spirit within we. Do not cast me from your presense or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me."
Psalm 51:10-12

This verse speaks to me in a big way. It is my daily prayer. I need not only to seek after a pure heart, but allow God to create it within me. Also, if my heart does not want to be changed, then I should ask God for a willing spirit.

butterfly
01-05-02, 07:02 PM
Next verse:
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to seperate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 8:38-39

Well, since our list of verses is growing longer, why don't we say we'll have this memorised by Friday. :)

Nicole
01-05-02, 07:43 PM
His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that we may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption of the world brought on by evil desires. 2 Peter 1:3-4

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ layed down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our life for our brother. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother in need but has not pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 1 John 3:16-17

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence or remove your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. Psalm 51:10-12

alright - Friday sounds good!

Nicole
01-10-02, 03:46 PM
deadline is tomorrow, Cath! you ready?

Flannel just asked me questions about memorizing stuff and reminded me that I haven't been meditating on this verse - that's what I get for asking for accountablity I guess..silly me!

Nicole
01-11-02, 10:04 AM
2 Peter 1:3-4: His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His glory and gooness. Through these He has given us His very great and precious promises so that we may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption of the world brought on by evil desires.

1 John 3:16-17: This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ layed down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our life for our brother. If a man has material possesions and sees a brother in need, yet has not pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?

Psalm 51:10-12: Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spiriti from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.

Romans 8:38-39: For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all of creation will be able to seperate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

meaning: God loves me, and nothing is going to change that. There isn't anything in I can do that would make Him stop loving me. That doesn't give me an excuse to do what I want and sin though, it just makes His love all the more amazing.

Next verse:

Isaiah 53:4-5

Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.

wow -I've read that verse a million times, but I just noticed something as I was typing it: "the punishment that brought us peace was upon him." That's just awesome, he suffered so that we would have peace. What amazing love it is.

next verse:

butterfly
01-11-02, 06:25 PM
"By his divine power he has given us everything we need for life, and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."

"This is how we know what love is. Jesus Christ laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possesions and sees his brother in need, yet has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."
1 John 3:16-17

"Create in me a pure heart O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence, or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me."

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to seperate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

This is one of my favourite verses. It really is quite encouraging, that no matter what we face, the love of God will be with us always and nothing can take that away from us!

butterfly
01-11-02, 06:26 PM
Ooo, that's a really cool verse Nicole, me likes. :) When do you want to have it memorised by?

Nicole
01-11-02, 07:02 PM
ummm..Thursday?

butterfly
01-11-02, 07:04 PM
Okee-doke! :)

butterfly
01-17-02, 11:58 PM
"By his divine power he has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."
1 Peter 1:3-4

"This is how we know what love is. Jesus Christ laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possesions and sees his brother in need yet has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

"Create in me a pure heart O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing heart to sustain me."

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to seperate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

"Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows. Yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him and afflicted. But he was pierced for our trangressions, he was crushed for our iniquities. The punishment that brought us peace was upon him and by his wounds we are healed."
Isaiah 53:4-5

This is an awesome description of exactly what Jesus did for us, he took our sin upon himself, he took our place even though we didn't deserve it. And when he died, our sins died with him. Because of his sacrifice, we can live. :) Man am I ever thankful we have the Bible cause I would never manage to say it as beautifully as that verse just did!

Next verse is kind of a long one, but it's a great passage and I've always wanted to have it memorised! If you are it's Ephesians 6:10-17 (the one about the armor of God) What do you say, are you up to a challenge? If we do this, I'd say two weeks from now would be reasonable.

Nicole
01-18-02, 11:32 AM

By his divine power he has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who has called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that we may experience the divine nature and escape the corruption of the world brought on by evil desires.

This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ layed down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our life for our brothers. If a man sees a brother on need and has material possesions, yet takes not pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?

Psalms 52:10-12

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.

Romans 8:38:39

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to seperate us from the love of God that is found in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Isaiah 53: 4-5

Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows. Yet, we considered him rejected by God, smitten and afflicted by him. Yet he was pierced for our transgressions and crushed for our iniquities. The punishment that brought us peace was upon him and by his wounds we are healed.

woo - I had a hard time memorizing that one - and I still had to cheat a little bit on that one - that next one is long! 2 weeks is good for me!

butterfly
01-18-02, 04:20 PM
Yes, it is getting harder....Can you imagine a few months from now? :eek: Vinnie might have to raise the character limit for us. :angel: If that last one is too long, we don't have to do it, I just thought it would be cool.

Nicole
01-18-02, 04:48 PM
no, it's a good one to memorize!

Maybe we could start just posting the last 5 we learned or something - by then they should be stuck in our head for good anyway. We'll just have to review the older ones on our own!

butterfly
01-22-02, 01:22 AM
Umm....I have a slight problem, I don't think I'm going to have that memorised by Thursday.....:blush: I know, I know we've had two weeks but it's a lot harder than I thought it would be! Do you think it would be blasphemous to extend the deadline by a few days, say Monday?

Nicole
01-22-02, 09:34 AM
Didn't we say two weeks? Wouldn't that make it like the 31st? as in a week from Thursday? Or did you want to have it memorized by the monday after that?

butterfly
01-23-02, 01:25 AM
Oh yaaaaaah!!!!! :dunce: Silly me. Next Thursday will be fine! :)

Nicole
01-31-02, 05:36 PM
ummm...I don't have it memorized..and I'm umm..leaving tomorrow and won't get back till like monday at 3 a.m...so I request an extension! :)

butterfly
01-31-02, 05:39 PM
Okee-doke! I have that one memorised but I forgot the Isaiah one in the process so I have some review to do anyways. Monday it is (or Tuesday if you'd rather :))

Nicole
01-31-02, 05:41 PM
Tuesday..considering I'll probably be dead to the world on Monday

butterfly
01-31-02, 05:47 PM
Hehe, true. :) Tuesday it is.

butterfly
02-05-02, 02:26 PM
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you may take your stand against the devils schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and againsts the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God so that when the day of evil comes you may be able to stand your ground and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to this, take up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit which is the word of God."

Ephesians 6:10-17

*phew!* that was hard! As far as meaning goes, to tell you the truth I often find this passage hard to identify with as I don't often picture my walk with God as a "battle." I did however find interesting the number of times the word "stand" is used. I think this passage is there to remind us never to forget that there is evil in the world and that we have to be prepared to fight it. I'm not sure I understand vs. 12 though. What do they mean by "spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms"?

Okay now, let's see if I still remember the other ones!

"Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows. Yet we considered him smitten by God, stricken by him and afflicted. But he was pierced for our trangressions, he was bruised for our iniquities. The punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed."
Isaih 53:4-5

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to seperate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

"Create in me a pure heart O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence, or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing heart to sustain me."
Psalm 52:10-12

"This is how we know what love is. Jesus Christ laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possesions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

I do believe that's it, since we were just going to post the last five we memorised from now on right? Your turn to pick the verse!

Nicole
02-05-02, 02:34 PM
can I give up on memorizing it?

as far as what verse 12 means - I believe it's referring to spiritual warfare - angels and demons and such fighting it out :) It's talking about that spiritual level that we can't really see with our own eyes.

butterfly
02-05-02, 03:04 PM
NO!!! :redhotmad Hehe, just kidding. ;) Well, I would say absolutely yes since it is a really hard one and I know you're really busy BUT...since I'm supposed to keep you accountable....;) I'll say that I think you should pray about it first and make sure this is really what you want to do. I know I had a lot of trouble with it too, but one thing that helped me was thinking that if I had to memorise this for school, I would have memorised it. Obviously, it's not quite the same situation but it is something to think about. Maybe you could even try just memorising two verses at a time or something like that so that by the end of it you'll have the whole thing memorised. But, anyways this was one that I really wanted to memorise so of course you're not obligated in any way. :)

Nicole
02-05-02, 03:22 PM
hey..no giving me the easy way out!

like I said in the first post on this thread..this is where I struggle big time. I get lazy and don't even attempt to memorize this stuff! I do have the first couple memorized...

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devils schemes. For our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, the authorities, and the powers of evil in this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God so that when the day of evil has come you may be able to stand your ground, to stand......then I know the basics of the rest of it, but not the order and all that stuff :)

butterfly
02-05-02, 11:54 PM
Oops, sorry is this better? ;)

No!!!! :redhotmad Absolutely not! Now you go to your room and you're not allowed to come out until you've memorised the passage!!!! Do I make myself clear?!! :smash:

GodBroken
02-06-02, 10:14 PM
"Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every encumberance, and the sin which easily entangles us... and let us run, with endurance, the race which has been set forth before us... fixing our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfector of faith, who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God..."

i just hope i could still remember that 25 years from now... :)

butterfly
02-10-02, 03:01 AM
How's the verse coming along Nicole? :)

Nicole
02-11-02, 05:36 AM
*gumble* accountability.....*grumble*

thanks, I need that :)

I'm working on it :)

you can go ahead and start on another one if you want :)

butterfly
02-18-02, 07:55 PM
*bump* How's it going now? Am I getting annoying yet? ;) Oh, and just so you know, I'm in no hurry. Take all the time you need. :)

Nicole
02-18-02, 08:03 PM
:blush:

*runs to get paper she wrote scripture on*

*puts it next to computer*

*reminds self to go walking and meditate on scripture in the morning*

it's time like this when i think of that verse, "I am the chief of sinners" (Nicole paraphrased version)

Nicole
02-20-02, 01:01 PM
ok..here we go:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you will be able to take your stand against the Devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood but against the rulers, the authorities, the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Put on the full armor of God so that you may be able to stand, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then with your feet fitted with the readiness that the gospel of peace brings. With the breastplate of righteousness firmly in place. In addition to all this take up the shield of faith so that you may be able to extinguish the flaming arrows of the devil. Put on the helmet of salvation and take up the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God.

Ephesians 6:10-17

butterfly
02-22-02, 12:02 AM
YAY NICOLE!!!!!! *throws confetti....attempts a fanfare but then realises she's only one person.....plus she can't play trumpet.....which would be pretty hard to do anyways since she doesn't own a trumpet............throws some more confetti.* Alright, your turn to pick the next verse! :D

Breni Sue
02-22-02, 12:54 AM
[off-topic]
I can play a trumpet! :D
[/off-topic]

Nicole
02-22-02, 11:21 AM
well, you want to do another long one?

I was reading through Psalm 51 again - and it's such a beautiful prayer - I think it would be cool to memorize that whole passage - we've already memorized a couple of the verses. The whole passage is 19 verses long. I think if we do this one it would be good to break it up into smaller chunks that we memorize every week or every other week or whatever.

what do you think?

butterfly
02-22-02, 06:44 PM
I'm game! Yes, I think it would be an excellent idea to break it up. And then once we've memorised the last verses, we can recite the whole thing. How many verses do you want to memorise per week?

Nicole
02-22-02, 06:57 PM
hmm...what about 1-6 the first week, 7-13 the second week, and 14-19 the last week?

or...we could do those same chunks but on an every-other week schedule if you want

butterfly
02-22-02, 11:09 PM
No, once a week should be fine. :) So, 1-6 next Friday then?

Nicole
02-22-02, 11:17 PM
sounds good :)

gzuznme
02-24-02, 09:25 PM
I believe if you continue to read the Word of God, ask for His wisdom and understanding to pull a scripture apart, eventually you will have the word hid in your heart. When you come upon something that is troubleing you, or you want to encourage someone in the Lord, you will have it in your heart. Remember the Holy Spirit is a teacher, a guide, He will bring all things to your rememberence.

Love,
Deborah,

Standing and Believing

Nicole
03-01-02, 07:34 PM
Psalm 51:1-7

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love. According to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions and my sin is always before me. Against you and you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. So that you may be prooved right when you speak and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful from birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you teach me wisdom in the inner parts, you desire truth in my inmost being.

*checks to see if she got it right*

hmm..got the last part a little mixed up there..oh well

meaning: Basically I see it as a prayer, a cry of repentance. He knows he is a sinner and he is calling out to God to forgive him. It kind of reminds me of something I said yesterday. I told a friend of mine.."I'm so human" - basically meaning that there are times when I feel like I'm just constantly messing up and sinning..and I don't know how God puts up with me..but I know He loves me and forgives me and says, "Go, and sin no more."

butterfly
03-02-02, 03:24 AM
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love, according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions, wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my trangressions and my sin are always before me. Against you, you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak, and justified when you judge. Surely I have been a sinner from birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the inner parts, you teach me wisdom in the inmost places."
Psalm 51:1-6

*checks* a word off here and there, but close enough!

Nicole, I think you put it best. It's a prayer of repentance, a cry for mercy and seeking holiness. I think this will be a good one for me to memorise cause it just seems to express everything I'm feeling when I come to God seeking forgiveness for yet another one of my mishaps. I know exactly what you mean about being so "human." I have a hard time understanding how God can put up with someone like me. I would have given up on myself a long time ago. If you've looked at Laury's sig lately, you'll notice that she quotes me as saying "I'm a spiritual clutz." It certainly gets frustrating having to constantly come back to God I say, sorry I tripped up again. But one things for sure, I'd much rather be walking and falling down then not walking at all. Praise God!

Nicole
03-02-02, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by butterfly
I think this will be a good one for me to memorise cause it just seems to express everything I'm feeling when I come to God seeking forgiveness for yet another one of my mishaps.

exactly my thoughts :)

and, yes - I'm glad I'm walking too -even if I do keep falling down.

butterfly
03-19-02, 08:48 PM
*bump* To remind myself that I still have to memorise that verse!!!!! Over a week late now. :blush: *writes a note to do that tonight.*

Nicole
03-19-02, 08:50 PM
ohh..ummm...yeah...was thinking about that this afternoon..

butterfly
03-20-02, 08:51 PM
Got it!

"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love, according to your great compassion, blot out my trangressions, wash away all my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my trangressions and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. Therefore you are proved right when you speak, and justified when you judge. Surely I have been a sinner from birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the inner parts, you teach me wisdom in the inmost places. Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean. Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness. Let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sin and bloth out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence, or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me."
Psalm 51:1-12

The second part is more about cleansing, I especially like the image of being washed and becoming whiter than snow. Also the idea of having a pure heart "created" within you by God, not trying to create one yourself is very powerful. Again, this is a great prayer for me! I'm glad we're memorising it. :)

butterfly
03-22-02, 02:16 AM
How's it coming along for you Nicole? :)

butterfly
03-23-02, 01:29 PM
*bump* :angel:

Nicole
03-23-02, 01:31 PM
*writes a note to herself to remind her to memorize this*

Nicole
03-25-02, 06:35 AM
hmm..obviously the mental note from the other day got lost - but I now have an index card with the verse on it in my pocket! *must memorize*

butterfly
03-28-02, 01:24 AM
*bumpity bump* :angel:

Nicole
03-28-02, 02:13 PM
*sigh* I have just made a resolution to stop hitting my snooze button in the mornings. Because - if I snooze - then I miss the time I put aside for walking - and walking is when I do my scripture memory/meditation - so, NO MORE SNOOZE BUTTON!!!

thanks for bumping it up Cath - this is why God said accountability=good :D because He knows we are humans - quite fallable humans at that. I hate being human sometimes..... lol

butterfly
03-28-02, 04:26 PM
:rofl: yah, I have that problem too. I have to keep my alarm clock somewhere in the room where I have to get out of bed to turn it off, otherwise, I'd never get up.

Nicole
03-30-02, 09:54 AM
yay - I haven't hit the snooze button in two days! heheh

ok..let's see what I got here

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash me of all my iniquities and cleans me from my sin. For I know my transgressions and my sin is always before me. Against you and you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. So that you are justified when you speak and proved right when you judge. Surely I was sinful from birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the inner parts, you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean; wash me and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sin and blot out my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways and sinners will turn back to you.

Everytime I see this passage it is always so convicting and just powerful in my heart. The very last line of the part we are memorizing this time is always really convicting to me. "Then I will teach transgressors your ways and sinners will turn back to you." I think it's so convicting because of that little word "then" which means that in order for the stuff after that word to happen, then the stuff before it needs to happen. It's my heart's desire to have an impact on people in a positive way - to show them Jesus and their need for Him. However, to accomplish this, I first must be pure in my heart and actions. I need to be clean and holy in order to show others how to be clean and holy. Now, I know God can use us in our imperfections - because we'll never be perfect, but I need to be striving to be perfect.

Ok - on with the next set!

Nicole
04-08-02, 08:15 PM
*bump*

I've about got the last section memorized - I had it a couple days ago - but then I slacked off so I need to brush up on it .

what about you?

butterfly
04-08-02, 08:17 PM
Almost there. I was planning on posting it tommorow. :)

Nicole
04-08-02, 08:18 PM
tomorrow sounds good - I should have it down solid by then :)

butterfly
04-10-02, 03:17 AM
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love, according to your great compassion, blot out my trangressions, wash away all my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my trangressions and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. So you you are proved right when you speak, and justified when you judge. Surely I have been a sinner since birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the innermost parts, you teach me wisdom in the inmost places. Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean. Wash me and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness, let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sin, and blot out all my inquity. Create in me a pure heart O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence, or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. Then I will teach trangressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you and my tongue will declare your righteousness. Then I will open my lips and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifice or I would bring it. You do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart O God you will not despise. In your good pleasure make Zion prosper. Build up the walls of Jerusalem. Then there will be righteous sacrifices, whole burnt offerings to delight you, then bulls will be offered on your altar."
Psalm 51

*Whew!* That was long! Okay anyways, it's really neat the progression this Psalm goes for. At the beginning he's repenting and asking God to forgive him, then he's asking him to give him a pure heart and at the end he's telling God what he'll be capable of doing once that request has been granted. It's interesting how he's saying that once his heart is pure, he'll be able to do all this stuff. I also really like the part about the sacrifices of God being a broken spirit. I'm not sure I really understand how he says God doesn't delight in sacrifice or take pleasure in burnt offerings but then later on is saying there will be righteous sacrifices and whole burnt offerings to delight him, maybe a difference in the spirit of the sacrifice?

Nicole
04-10-02, 07:41 AM
ok - here goes

Have Mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love. According to your great compassion blot out my trangressions Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my trangresssions and my sin is always before me. Against you and you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. So that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful from birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the inner parts, you teach me wisdom in the inmost places. Wash me with hyssop and I will be clean, Wash me and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness. Let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sin and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart O, God. Cast me not away from your presence or take your holy spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. Then I shall teach transgressors your ways and sinners will turn back to you. Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me. Let my tounge declare your righteosness. Open my lips and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifices or I would bring it. You do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart, O God you will not despise. In your good pleasure, make Zion prosper and build up the walls of Jerusalem. Then there will be righteous sacrifices, whole burnt sacrifices to delight you. then bulls will be offered on your alter.

*phew*

we did it! :D

yeah - I think the part about the sacrifice is a change of heart. God could care less if we make a sacrifice out of simply following the rules or doing what we think we are suppose to. He looks at our heart - he wants it broken and humble before him.

Nicole
04-10-02, 07:41 AM
what's next? your turn to pick!

butterfly
04-10-02, 08:51 PM
As long as we're on a theme here, how about doing Psalm 23? It only has 6 verses so we could do 1-3 one week and then 4-6 the next. :)

Nicole
04-10-02, 08:52 PM
sounds good!

Nicole
04-18-02, 02:15 PM
This is probably gonna end up being some wierd KJV/NIV mix of the verse - oh well!

The Lord is my Shephard, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters. He restores sould. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

I really like this part of the chapter. So many times we hear about how the Christian life isn't easy. It's full of struggles and trials and growing and changing and - that's true, it is. And all those trials and struggles are worth it. But, it's nice to know that there are also times when we just relax, we get refreshed, we lie down in those green pastures and and just relax and soak in God.

Nicole
04-19-02, 10:39 PM
how's it coming, Cath?

Nicole
04-20-02, 10:45 PM
*ahem*

:angel:

Kittycat
04-20-02, 11:14 PM
:angel: :biggrin:

butterfly
04-21-02, 03:05 AM
Oh geesh, I completely forgot about this! :blush: Thanks, I needed that. I'm posting it tommorow, I promise!!

butterfly
04-21-02, 07:13 PM
"The Lord is my sheperd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake."
Psalm 23:1-3

I really like the image of the Lord being a sheperd. It's really comforting to know he's always there to guide us and lead us on the true path and to refresh us when we need it most.

Nicole
04-28-02, 10:05 PM
:blush: I forgot about this!

The lord is my shephard, I shall not be in want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for thugh art with me. Thy rod and thy staff - they comfort me. Thour preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You annoint my head with oil, my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell of the house of the Lord forever.

I love this part:

Though I walk through the valley

through - we aren't going to stay in the valley - we will come out!

Ok..I know the next verse I want to memorize - but I need to look up where it's at exactly! I'll post it after you post your verse from this time :D

theGoThIcFrOg
04-29-02, 01:28 AM
thought i would throw this out there...

i make flash card and mark them in my bible with little post it notes. so this way ANY time i am in my word i see them and go to them.

ALSO just writing it out helps you memorize it. like for my youth servant team (scrub team) we have to have 25 verses memorized by May 19.

so blessings to you and good luck on that memorizing.

butterfly
04-30-02, 02:00 AM
"The Lord is my sheperd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his own name's sake. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me, in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
Psalm 23

Aaah, I love this Psalm, I've always wanted to memorise it since I think it is one of the most comforting passages of scripture in the whole Bible. "I will fear no evil, for you are with me." As long as God is with us, we should not be afraid of anything! Okay, then don't leave in suspense, what's the next verse? :)

Nicole
04-30-02, 10:13 AM
Lamentations 3: 19-23

I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail, They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

butterfly
05-10-02, 03:59 PM
Sorry this is quite late, I've been having trouble accessing this site, our computer being annoying as always. Anyways, here it is!

" I remember my affliction and my wandering, my bitterness and my gall. Well I remember them, my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope. Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning, great is your faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:19-23

I love the part about his compassions being "new" every morning, he's always there, he's always faithful, no matter what. And even in the darkest times, his love keeps us afloat. Your turn Nicole! ;)

Nicole
05-10-02, 04:13 PM
oh yeah --- forgot about this - I'll get right on this!

Nicole
05-10-02, 06:29 PM
I remember my affliction and my wandering, my bitterness and my gall. I well remember them and my soul is downcast withing me. Yet this I call to mind, and therefore have hope. Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, his compassions never fail. They are new every morning, great is your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:17-19

I love the part that goes "yet this I call to mind, and therefore have hope." To me - the verse is basically just saying - "never forget what it felt like to be lost, because if you do - you'll loose your compassion for the dying." Before I became a Christian I didn't have some horrible rebellious life - but I did have a lot of pain -simply because I was ignoring the One who could give me life. So, I know - that even if a person seems to have this wonderful life (like I did) they can still be miserable and empty inside. So, for this reason - I remember my biterness and my gall - I remember the misery of being lost - so that I have hope - and compassion on those around me.

Nicole
05-12-02, 10:59 PM
what's the next verse, cath?

butterfly
05-12-02, 11:58 PM
Umm....I'm having a tough time choosing, there's so many good ones....I promise I'll post it tommorow. ;)

Nicole
05-13-02, 12:04 AM
sounds good :)

butterfly
05-13-02, 12:11 AM
Ach, decisions, decisions.....how about we just memorise the whole Bible? :angel:

Nicole
05-13-02, 12:22 AM
eh - why not! we can do it!

by the end of the month you think? ;)

I heard about a 80 something year old lady once that memorized the entire new testament in a year :eek:

butterfly
05-13-02, 12:36 AM
:eek: Yeah, I know people who've memorised whole books. And here I am, struggling with a few verses, lol. It's humbling to say the least. ;)

Nicole
05-13-02, 12:43 AM
very humbling. I read a book once called "If I Perish" it's the true story of a Christian in Korea who was imprisoned and tortured for her faith. The one thing that she did while she was in hiding and before she was captured was memorize as much of the Bible as possible. Because she knew that when she was caught - the only Bible she would have would be that in her head - not a book in front of her. That's always been very powerful to me. Because - while I may not ever end up in a prison in a country that outlaws Bibles. I could very well end be in a grocery store or an airplane or a million other places and not have my Bible easily accessible - and for some reason or another need to call on the wisdom and truth those passages hold. Whether it be to calm my own spirit - or to witness to someone else. His word is invaluable - and I think too often I take it for granted that I have it in a nice leather bound volume.

butterfly
05-13-02, 12:49 AM
True. It's such an easy thing to take for granted. Especially in my house where we have so many. I always forget that there are people who don't have access to it, or that there are countries where it's a crime to have one. I read a book once called Mary and her Bible or something like that. It's about a girl in early Wales who saves up all her money for years and then goes on a two day journey to the nearest town so she can buy a bible for her family. It's a kid's story, but it's still really powerful. It certainly is a strong reminder of how precious it really is! :)

Nicole
05-13-02, 01:02 AM
I know - it amazes me to think that there are people out there who have never had access to a Bible. I have about 6 myself..not including the rest of my family. Or the fact that I can access pretty much any translation I want at the click of a button online

There is a people group in China called The Dong people. Six years ago there language wasn't even in written form. Now - someone has developed a written language for the Dong - and the Bible is being translated for them and distributed. It's amazing to hear the stories that come back from the missionaries over there about how grateful these people are to simply have the word of God - even if it's only one Bible per village. I'm sure there are similar situations with many different people groups all over the world.

butterfly
05-14-02, 11:06 PM
Isaiah 40:1-5 (sorry, don't have time to type it out.)

Nicole
05-14-02, 11:14 PM
sorry, that is unacceptable, the verse must be typed out !!! :smash:

;) kidding, of course

Nicole
05-24-02, 11:22 PM
*bump*

not that I have it memorized or anything - just reminding myself! :D

butterfly
05-26-02, 01:13 AM
"Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem that her hard service has been completed, that her sins have been paid for. She has received from the Lord's hand double for all her sins. A voice of one calling in the desert, prepare the way for the Lord, make straight in the wildnerness a highway for our God. The valleys shall be raised up, the mountains and hills made low. The rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain. The glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all mankind together will see it, for the mouth of our Lord has spoken."

Isaiah 40:1-5

This has got to be one of my favourite passages, actually make that all of Isaiah 40. I love the image of the valleys being raised up and the mountains made low, kind of like God straightening everything out. Umm....I don't really know what else to say about it, it speaks to me but it's kinda hard to put it into words, you know what I mean?

butterfly
05-28-02, 06:44 PM
Let's-play-the-bumping-game!

*bump*

butterfly
05-30-02, 01:08 AM
*AHEM!*-:smash:

Nicole
05-30-02, 11:43 AM
*grumble grumble*

I'm having a hard time with this one..it's not flowing in my brain or something..I dunno

I'll have it by Friday night at the latest!

butterfly
05-30-02, 09:01 PM
Nicole,-Nicole,-she's-our-man-(err...woman)-if,-she-can't-do-it,-no-one-can!!!-Gooooooooooo-Nicole!!!!!-:D

Nicole
05-31-02, 09:19 PM
ok, here goes:

Comfort, comfort my people says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem and proclaim to her that her service has been completed, that her sin has been paid for, that she will receive from the Lord's hand double for all her sins. There is a voice of one calling in the desert. Make straight a highway through the wilderness for our Lord. The valleys shall be raised up, the mountains and hills made low. The rouch spots will become level and the rugged made like a plain.

*thinks* last part..last part....ok, I'm gonna cheat and look really quick. . .ok

The glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all mankind shall see it, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

Isaiah 40:1-5

That's a really great verse (of course - all the verses are great!) I love the part that says "her service has been completed." I don't really know why I love that part it just seems to say "It is finished." It's nice to know that stuff is over and done with and taken care of. Great passage! I'll find the next one to memorize and get back to you soon!

butterfly
06-08-02, 11:06 PM
Hey Nicole, now that you're back, how about that verse? :)

Nicole
06-09-02, 01:09 PM
I know which one I want to do - but I don't know the reference right now - I just know where it's at in my Bible :) lol I'll go look for it in a bit and have it posted by tomorrow morning at the latest :)

Nicole
06-09-02, 10:01 PM
Psalm 5

It is 12 verses long, so - we can do it in 4 verse sections. Sound good?

butterfly
06-09-02, 11:59 PM
Sounds great! :)

Ashwee
06-10-02, 05:13 PM
Hey guys, i havent really ever read this thread to know whats goin on, but I just decided on a whim to post the few verses that ive memorized.

1) For those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount with wings like eagles, they shall run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not faint. -Isaiah 40:31

2)For God so loved the world, taht He gave his only begotten Son so that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. -John 3:16

3)For the Son of man came to seek and save what was lost. -Luke 19:10

4)Jesus replied, "What is impossible with man is possible with God." -Luke 18:26

5)I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Phil 4:13

Thats all I know... I know some others, but I dont know what verses they are... :(

Im going to get some post-it notes tonight and start writing verses on them and posting them around my house (on my lightswitch in my room, on my makeup case, on my purse, on my mirror, etc) So that everytime I go to where they are, i'll see it and read it, and get it stuck in my head!

Nicole
06-10-02, 05:54 PM
that's cool, Ash

Cath and I are keeping each other accountable for memorizing scripture.

You can join us if you wish - right now we are doing Psalm 5 (four verses at a time) the first section we should have in a week or so..somewhere around there.

Ashwee
06-17-02, 01:49 AM
Do you mind if I join you?

I will hopefully have this one memorized by Friday.

Just these verses, right?
"Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell."

Ashwee
06-17-02, 02:02 AM
Im just going to memorize the first "section" (Psalm 5:1-3). Thats all I can fit on a posty note.

Im writin the verses on posty notes and putting them up in places I look alot. (makeup case, computer, and the lightswitch in my room.)

butterfly
06-18-02, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Jedidiah
Do you mind if I join you?

I will hopefully have this one memorized by Friday.

Just these verses, right?
"Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell."

Please do! The more the merrier. :) Also, thank-you for bumping up this thread, makes a good reminder for me. ;)

brokenblessings
06-19-02, 09:47 PM
I like to memorize scripture while I'm walking. It helps keep me focused.:)

Nicole
06-24-02, 07:42 PM
bumpity bump bump

we are soooo late on this one, but anyway

Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listne to my cry for help, my Kind and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice. In the morning I lay my request before you and wait in expectation. You are not a god who takes pleasure in evil, with you the wicked cannot dwell.

I love the part about "and wait in expectaion" To me -that's like saying, "God, I want to see you work today. I want you to use me" and then - all day long as you're going about your day you're just looking for God - looking for opportunities - and are constantly in a state of excited expectaion of what God can and will do.

butterfly
06-28-02, 06:20 PM
"Give ear to my words O Lord, consider my sighings. Listen to my cry for help my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning O Lord you hear my voice. In the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil. With you the wicked cannot dwell. The arrogant cannot stand in your presence. You hate all who do wrong."
Psalm 5:1-5

Sorry this is so late, I've been having trouble with this passage for some reason, actually, I've been having trouble with the Bible in general, just not sinking in! Oh well, anyways.

I, like you love the part about waiting in expectation. So often we pray to God not expecting anything to come of it, just doing it because we should pray. Or, we pray and then get impatient because "nothing" is happening. One thing I need to learn is how to wait on God's timing, and to trust that he DOES answer prayers, though not usually in the way we expect.

butterfly
08-03-02, 02:26 PM
MAJOR BUMP!!!!!

NICOLE!!! Oh my goodness, I am soooo bad! I COMPLETELY forgot about this!!! :blush:

I think we need to start setting deadlines again, like we used to. I don't know how we got so slack! Now, I need to get to work memorizing the rest of that Psalm, trouble is, I've forgotten the first part. :wah:

:smash: On me!

Actually, I think I've forgotten a lot of the other verses that we memorized. Do you think we should go over a few of them again?

Nicole
08-03-02, 03:45 PM
oh my :blush: talk about forgetting about a thread

:smash: on me as well

yeah..I don't know if I know half of the ones we've already done either

so - going back and reviewing sounds like a plan!

then - we will stick to a schedule! we will memorize verse! and we will remember them!!! *determined look*

butterfly
08-03-02, 10:01 PM
Yes! We will! Okay, so do you want to finish memorizing the Psalm first? If so, how's Friday for a dealine for the first 2 sections, which I think is verses 1-8.

Nicole
08-03-02, 10:08 PM
ok..sounds good

now..what Psalm were we memorizing again. . .

*goes back to look*

Psalm 5!

butterfly
08-08-02, 03:35 PM
*bumpety bumpers*

To remind myself the deadline is tommorow!

:smash: :smash: :smash:

butterfly
08-09-02, 04:14 PM
"Give ear to my words O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning O Lord you hear my voice. In the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil. With you the wicked cannot dwell, the arrogant cannot stand in your presence. You hate all you who do wrong. You destroy those who tell lies, bloodthirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors. But I by your great mercy shall come into your house, in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple. Lead me O Lord in your righteousness, because of my enemies, make straight your way before me."
Psalm 5:1-8

I'm not sure I really understand this passage. I mean, at first he's saying that God destroys those who tells lies but then he says that by God's mercy he shall enter his house. I don't know if he means that he lies too but God is showing mercy to him or if he's different from others? But if he's a lier, why would God show mercy to him and destroy others? And the last verse really throws me, the whole "because of my enemies" part doesn't seem to fit into the sentence. I don't get it at all! :confused:

Nicole
08-09-02, 05:17 PM
:blush: don't have this done yet

can I blame it on the evil cold that attacked my body for the past couple of days? :D :angel:

anyway - the "because of my enemies" seemed out of place to me as well.

I think he's talking about though how the Lord hates the wicked - because He hates sin. Though - by His grace and mercy and through the blood of Jesus - we are not seen as wicked and therefore allowed to enter into His presence.

butterfly
08-09-02, 05:49 PM
No! That is NOT acceptable! Drop and give me twenty! :smash:

(just kidding ;))

About the whole "because of my enemies" thing, a little proper punctuation would help. Have you ever noticed how atrocious the grammar is in the Bible, particularly the Psalms? tut tut. (Though I guess it has something to do with it being poetry and all. ;) ) I can't figure out if he's saying "Lord lead me in your righteousness because of my enemies" or "Because of my enemies make straight your way before me." Not that either one makes much sense. :confused:

Nicole
08-09-02, 05:54 PM
ok - where's a Hebrew scholar when we need one! (if anyone else besides Cath and I actually reads this thread and would care to offer some insight - please jump in!) (on second though - we could start a new thread about this verse, Cath - whaddya think?)

I would think it's "because of my enemies make straight your paths"

like....he wants to know exactly where God wants him to go so he doesn't go down the wrong path and end up in a head-on collision with the bad guys.

or...

maybe it's the other ones

and he wants to know righteousness because the bad-guys try to make him turn away from that righteousness

the first one makes more sense though

butterfly
08-09-02, 05:58 PM
Or maybe it's the first one and it means that he wants God to plough through all his enemies to make a straight path for him....or else it's something completely different and we're not even close to the answer. :rofl:

I think we need a Hebrew scholar on this one. ;) Do you want to start a new thread or should I?

Nicole
08-09-02, 06:01 PM
:rofl:

you go for it!

butterfly
08-10-02, 03:17 PM
How's it coming Nicole? :angel:

Nicole
08-10-02, 03:31 PM
shhhhhhh :p

I'm about to walk out the door to go to a wedding - but hopefully I'll have it by tomorrow!

butterfly
08-11-02, 11:04 PM
*sings* "Tommorow! Tommorow! I love ya, tommorow! You're only a day away!" :D Soooo, is today tommorow or is tommorow, tommorow? :angel:

Nicole
08-11-02, 11:15 PM
err..I know I don't have all of it - but I'll give it a try

Give ear to my words O Lord, consider my cry for help. To you I cry out, my King and my God. In the morning O Lord, you hear my cry. In the morning I lay my request before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who delights in evil. With you the wicked cannot dwell. . . .ummm. . . .Lead me in your righteousness, because of my enemies, make straight your paths before me.

butterfly
08-11-02, 11:16 PM
Almost! You're over half-way there, you just missed a bit in the middle. ;) How about Tuesday? Could you have it ready by then?

Nicole
08-11-02, 11:19 PM
you're too nice :D

yeah - should be able to!

butterfly
08-11-02, 11:23 PM
LOL, I'm not your teacher! Better late than never!

Nicole
08-13-02, 05:24 PM
I didn't forget about this - but I'm about to go to work - so I'll get it when I get back!

Nicole
08-13-02, 09:50 PM
Give ear to my words O Lord, consider my cry for help. To you I cry out, my King and my God. In the morning O Lord, you hear my cry. In the morning I lay my request before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who delights in evil. With you the wicked cannot dwell, the arrogant cannot stand in your presences. The Lord hates all who do wrong. Bloodthirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors. But, I by your great mercy shall come into your presence. I will bow down in reverance towards your Holy Temple. Lead me in your righteousness, because of my enemies, make straight your paths before me.

yay :D

one thing that sticks out to me in this verse is "The Lord hates all who do wrong." So many times we hear all about God and His love and everything and it almost makes God seem like some happy sappy guy in the sky. But - it's also true that he HATES evil. Yes - He's full of mercy and grace - but Evil - and those who practice evil - he cannot stand - he abhors.

Makes me glad that I, "by His great mercy" am allowed into His presence. I can see where David is coming from with that.

ok - on to the next section!

butterfly
08-13-02, 11:31 PM
Yay! *claps for Nicole* Oh yah, Ash has joined us as well, so now we both need to harass her. :angel:

Ashwee
08-13-02, 11:33 PM
:umm:

Sorry guys.. I still dont have it yet. Ive been SO loaded down w/ stuff (school starting Thursday and stuff).

But, I will try and memorize it tonight, and then tomorrow too.

Hopefully.

butterfly
08-13-02, 11:42 PM
No worries. :) Do you think you could have it by Sunday? Or perhaps Monday?

Ashwee
08-13-02, 11:52 PM
Oh yea definitly. :)

butterfly
08-14-02, 12:08 AM
Sunday it is. :D I'll hold off on harassing till then. ;)

Ashwee
08-14-02, 12:17 AM
:D

butterfly
08-18-02, 06:24 PM
Oh Aaaaaashweeeeee!!!!! :angel:

Nicole
08-18-02, 06:27 PM
you're so good at remembering to harass - I'll join you now

:D

ashley dear...come over here

btw, Cath - when are we suppose to have the next section done?

butterfly
08-18-02, 06:33 PM
Oh, we haven't set the next deadline have we! How's Friday sound?

Nicole
08-18-02, 06:38 PM
Friday is good - hopefully I'll actually have it on time this week!

I've got pre-planning for pre-school this week and I start back to college - so it's going to be a crazy week - but I should be able to do it if I discipline myself!

Ashwee
08-18-02, 06:42 PM
D'OH!

*bangs head against wall*

Give me until Midnight, Central time.

Technically, its still sunday until then.
Which means you cant harrass me because Sunday isnt over yet. :)

butterfly
08-18-02, 06:45 PM
I'll give you to midnight Pacific time if you need it! That's if you want to stay up that late. ;)

*puts away harassing for dummies book*

Nicole
08-23-02, 07:41 PM
*bump* and grrrr at myself

ash - you got the first part yet?

butterfly
08-24-02, 02:41 AM
:smash: on me AGAIN! *sigh*

Ashwee
08-24-02, 04:57 PM
Okay...

I got it. Sorry guys that im not that great at remembering about this.... but, I have it now! :smash:

Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning O Lord you hear my voice. In the moring I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil, with You the wicked cannot dwell.

And, I admit it... one time I had to check myself... I couldnt remember what came after "in the morning O Lord," :(

butterfly
08-27-02, 12:01 AM
Yay Ashwee!!!

Me :blush: I don't have it yet. But I am for SURE posting it tommorow.

Nicole
08-27-02, 12:18 AM
grrrr

:smash: on self

butterfly
08-27-02, 10:59 PM
"Give ear to my words O Lord, consider my sighings. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice. In the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil. With you the wicked cannot dwell, the arrogant cannot stand in your presence, you hate all who do wrong. You destroy those who tell lies. Bloodthirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors. But I by your great mercy will come into your house. In reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple. Lead me in your righteousness O Lord, because of my enemies, make straight your path before me. Not a word from their mouth can be trusted, their heart is filled with destruction. Their throat is an open grave, with their tongue they speak deceit. Declare them guilty O God, let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins for they have rebelled against you. But let all those who take refuge in your be glad, let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, so that those who love your name will rejoice in you. For surely O Lord you bless the righteous. You surround them with your favor as with a shield."

Psalm 5

Nicole
08-27-02, 11:00 PM
yay for Cath!

*Nicole shuffles off before Cath can ask her if she's done*

butterfly
08-27-02, 11:02 PM
:p

Nicole
08-27-02, 11:29 PM

butterfly
08-31-02, 06:17 PM
cough

CalledByGrace
08-31-02, 07:40 PM
That's long!

Nicole
09-01-02, 07:00 PM
*hides face in shame*

why why why? am I so bad at doing this consistently?

(retorical question - unless of course you want to answer it! ;) )

butterfly
09-03-02, 12:16 AM
I could ask myself the same question sometimes. ;) About how close are you?

Nicole
09-03-02, 10:31 AM
I haven't even looked at it in the past couple of days

give me two days then start harassing me again :)

Nicole
09-05-02, 02:09 PM
ok - I got one verse down - not the whole thing - but at least it's progress

Give ear to my words O Lord, consider my cry for help. To you I cry out, my King and my God. In the morning O Lord, you hear my cry. In the morning I lay my request before you and wait in expectation. You are not a God who delights in evil. With you the wicked cannot dwell, the arrogant cannot stand in your presences. The Lord hates all who do wrong. Bloodthirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors. But, I by your great mercy shall come into your presence. I will bow down in reverance towards your Holy Temple. Lead me in your righteousness, because of my enemies, make straight your paths before me. Not a word from their mouths can be trusted. Their heart is full of destruction. Their mouth is an open grave and with their tounge they speak deceit.

butterfly
09-08-02, 11:05 PM
Woops, totally forgot about this. That's great you got that much, how's it coming with the rest of it? :)

Nicole
09-08-02, 11:20 PM
I saw that you had the last post in this forum and totally knew that you posted in this thread..lol

should have it soon :D

shoul've had it a week ago, but ya know!

:blush:

butterfly
09-08-02, 11:24 PM
Soon...that's a dreaded word in my house cause it usually means never...it's almost as bad as tommorow. ;) Hehe, just kidding, I know you'll get it. :)

I'm certainly honing my harassing skills. :rofl: If I ever have kids, they'll really hate me come homework time. ;)

butterfly
09-27-02, 09:40 PM
bumpity bump. ;) Hey Nicole, how's it coming? Sorry, I kind of forgot about this.

Nicole
09-28-02, 10:49 AM
hehe..I kind of forgot about this too

Ashwee
12-27-02, 01:46 AM
Ooohhh Ladies...

Since its been so long since any of us have done our duties in memorizing...
POP QUIZ!

Nicole, since you seem to be the one of us that have memorized Psalm 5... recite it! C'mon!

Hmm... and Cath, I'll think of something for you later. For now I say we banter Nicole. :)

Do you guys want to try memorizing a new scripture next?

Nicole
12-27-02, 10:53 AM
hehe

Cath and I stopped doing this a while ago because I felt as if I was starting to memorize just to do it rather than memorizing it so that I could really understand it and apply it.

and ummm...no...I cannot recite Psalm 5 :blush:

most likely because I just memorized it at the time to recite here and didn't really attempt to understand it or apply it.

such a silly human I am.

Ashwee
12-27-02, 01:15 PM
Ah.... woops.

So exnay on the memorizing?

Nicole
12-27-02, 01:37 PM
no no, memorizing is good! I'm just not going to do it on here because I fall quickly into the "I'm memorizing for the wrong reasons" trap. But - if you want to memorize - I'll try to help you remember to do that on here - and I may throw in a verse every now and then that God's been showing me

like, for instance. . .

this morning - my devotional was going through the chapter of Joshua 4, this isn't one of the verses that was emphasized in the lesson, but God used it to show me something - lemme show you:

you can read the whole chapter to get the context, but basically God had told the Israelites to do something - they were to go out into the middle of the Jordan River, get 12 stones, and stand them up as reminder of what God did for them. Verse 10 stuck out to me, look at what it says:

Now the priest who carried the ark [of the covenant] remained standing in the middle of the Jordan until everything the Lord had commanded Joshua was done by the people, just as Moses had directed Joshua.

Now, the ark of the covenant was what the Israelites used to carry the law in it. It was symbolic of God.

When I read that verse - I was reminded of how we often wonder why God isn't moving, why he isn't doing anything, and yet we haven't even followed the first directions he gave us. If you look back at that verse - the ark of the covenant stayed where it was until the people fulfilled all that God had commanded. When they obeyed, then He moved.

I think the same holds true for us today. Many times God gives un an answer - but we want a different one - so we don't obey him the first time waiting on a different answer and we wonder why he's not doing anything. He's waiting for us to fulfill the first command he gave us.

Ashwee
12-27-02, 01:42 PM
Hehe when I said exnay on the memorizing, I meant as memorizing on here, not memorizing as a whole. ;)

Nicole
12-27-02, 01:49 PM
ahh, well in that case, yes - sort of ;)

guess I could have spared you my mini-sermon - but ya know! I like to talk :p