PDA

View Full Version : Jesus in the OT

Paulo
08-01-14, 10:17 AM
Something from a slightly different angle this week. I'm not going to ask if there are any references to Jesus as Messiah in the Old Testament. I'm going to ask how many we can find, and if we can get a list going of all the references. Maybe it's something that would prove useful.

I have something from Genesis which I always took as being a reference to Jesus. It's from this passage:

1 Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied.
2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."
3 Early the next morning Abraham got up and saddled his donkey. He took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. When he had cut enough wood for the burnt offering, he set out for the place God had told him about.
4 On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance.
5 He said to his servants, "Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you."
6 Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and placed it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them went on together,
7 Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, "Father?" "Yes, my son?" Abraham replied. "The fire and wood are here," Isaac said, "but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?"
8 Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." And the two of them went on together.

The idea wasn't that Abraham would actually sacrifice Isaac, it was a test of faith and obedience. But it always seemed to me that when Abraham said 'God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son', that he was prophesying about Jesus. I know Jesus wasn't burnt, but he still fulfilled the role of the burnt offering - a sacrifice pleasing to God, and really the true sacrifice that was required.

I just thought I'd mention that interpretation because it's not something I've come across anywhere else.

Ann
08-01-14, 03:29 PM
I like this question - it's going to take some study but I like it.

Charles
08-01-14, 03:43 PM
This is one Daniel speaks of the 3 men King Nebuchadnezzar had thrown into the fire for not worshipping his statue and in Daniel 3 The king sees a 4th man in the fire and says that he looks like the son of God. Not sure how that heathen king knew what the son of God looked like but he was right.

Dan 3:24
Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.

Dan 3:25
He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

Ann
08-02-14, 12:22 PM
Paulo when I was in Bible school one of our teachers said the same thing you said about Abraham's words being a prophecy of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. He also taught that in the old Testament when it says an angel of the Lord it means an angel but when it ways the angel of the Lord it refers to an Old Testament appearance of Jesus. I have never gone through the Bible and verified that but probably should.

One site that has some interesting things ion this is http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer's%20Corner/Doctrines/ot_christ-chron.htm

strypes
08-02-14, 01:07 PM
Recently on Facebook I read an article that I think was from Crosswalk dot com that listed Jesus in every book of the old testament. I was disappointed that It only listed the book and not the scripture references. My favorite is Kinsman redeemer from the Book of Ruth.

Paulo
08-02-14, 02:04 PM
Wow, there are potentially a lot more references than I was remotely aware of...

Ann
08-02-14, 05:14 PM
We can start with Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.: "Us" implies more than one as in Father Son and Holy Ghost and for that matter based on John 1:3 & 10 to Genesis 1:1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Ann
08-03-14, 02:39 PM
Isaiah 9:6&7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.