PDA

View Full Version : The Devil Made Me Do It?

Flannel Avenger
07-12-14, 12:09 AM
In the vein of the last question, I post this question. Is there ever any temptation to sin that is too great? Can one be coerced into sin against their will? Is it always a free choice to sin?

strypes
07-12-14, 05:48 PM
I think of Job and his troubles. He was tested to the max but held firm to his trust in God. Jesus told Peter that Satan would that he be sifted/tried. And Jesus knew that Peter would deny Him and encouraged Peter by saying something about "when you are restored" and later Peter was restored and affirmed .. feed my sheep. Jesus was put to the test numerous times. By satan himself in the wilderness and regularly by the Pharisees.

None of these examples were made to do anything beyond their own will. Job chose NOT to curse God and die as his wife preferred. Peter could have kept silent but CHOSE not to and made a profession denying Jesus. Jesus not only frustrated Satan in the wilderness by holding to scripture but He also made the Pharisees quite angry enough to want Him dead, yet He remained sinless through it all.

It is my opinion that in all things if we choose to hold on to the peace of God and trust Him we too can make wise choices. But even when we fail and sometimes fail miseribly, we can be restored.

Temptation to sin can come in many forms. The more subtle ones are the most dangerous as we do not always recognize them in time especially if we are distracted by other issues. Like calling an inconsiderate jerk in the grocery store an appropriate slang term under your breath but loud enough for them to hear then the Holy Spirit lets you know He was not pleased by it. Yep happened to me yesterday. And I had just come from a Church meeting. *sigh*... I think the "too great" sins like sexual sins of lust etc scream "I'm a temptation, don't you want me now" are easily combated with "Flee!" (1 Cor 5:18-19) but the little foxes are what spoil our perfect little gardens.

Ann
07-14-14, 12:22 PM
No, not unless we have been choosing to let the devil run our lives. But have we? Have we gotten in the habit of the "little white lie" and needed another lie to cover that one? Do we almost absent mindedly pick up a candy at the register and not pay for it or bring home a few pens from work? Do we say that's just the way it is with the schools today when your child's teacher says all intelligent people know evolution is real?? Is it easier to go along with that president bashing than it is to pray for him and work for a different candidate if you think they will you think will be better? These so called harmless actions and reactions build the habits of our lives and decide who is in control. God's word says "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." 1Corinthians 10:13 He doesn't say it will be easy - we don't have to bear it if it is easy. He says God will give us a way to bear it, to get through it without doing wrong. If we build habits now of relying on God, of doing things His way, of learning His word, that way of escape will be easier to find and can seem the only obvious choice. If we build habits of doing things the devil's way he has a lot more control of our lives and those little choices can lead to big ones and resisting can seem impossible. The one to whom you give the keys of your life or who picks them up when you toss them aside is the one who will drive it and decide where it goes. The good news is that they are your keys, it is your life and even if someone has been driving it where you don't want to go you can take it back with God's help and He promises to help you.

Charles
07-14-14, 07:57 PM
It's a free choice

Ann
07-17-14, 11:50 PM
Thinking more re the way I worded my answer. I am not sure it is only a pattern of letting the devil run our lives that leads to this but also and for many ppl even more a pattern of not letting God run it, not developing faith and reliance on him. I hear the expression "I did what I had to do" or "I did not have any choice". That may be the only choice the person sees and they may feel bad about doing what they know is wrong but God does make a way even tho it may be a hard way. There is a film Little Red Wagon in which a homeless mom steals sandwiches for her young son so he can eat saying "I'm going to do what I have to do". As it is written her character apparently sees no choice yet she had a car and could have gotten to a soup kitchen or food bank. She could have simply asked at a few places and found one that would give her a couple of sandwiches or some other food. But in her desperation that was all she saw. It was another reminder that we need to start now (or long ago and continuing even better) to exercise our faith, to build a pattern of choosing God's way and trusting Him. I am not saying it is easy. It isn't. If I had a child with me I would know about food resources but what if to get the food we had to take a beast mark? Would I be able to believe God would provide? Would I understand and remember that if we did starve we were headed to a better more wonderful life? What if someone pointed a gun to the child's head and said deny Jesus or I'll torture and kill him. Would I have the courage to stand firm in Christ? I hope so. I believe so but only through Jesus. I could not do it in my own strength. We need to make every day an exercise in trusting him so that relying in His strength is the habit of our lives because our habits shape our responses in a crisis.

faithangel45
11-22-14, 02:58 PM
It's a free choice

Kudos Charles, it is a free choice