PDA

View Full Version : Backslide

Ann
03-11-11, 09:52 PM
What does backslide (backsliding, backslidden) mean to you. Is it a term with which you are familiar or that you use?

Chuckt
03-12-11, 03:29 PM
What does backslide (backsliding, backslidden) mean to you. Is it a term with which you are familiar or that you use?

I don't think it is always helpful in creating theological terms that aren't in the Bible because we can't always agree on them or what the meaning would be. It is the same reason why one theology board wouldn't devote a forum towards Hermeneutics and the reason is we wouldn't all agree.

What does backslide mean from a Once Saved Always Saved perspective? Describe the process of being unadopted in the family of God or how the prodigal would be able to earn salvation under works.

I've been studying the Once Saved Always Saved debate because someone offered me a five page challenge and I've run different ideas by two different pastors and they take the position that you can lose your salvation but I do not agree. The debate wouldn't work in a forum because it couldn't be organized in a free for all fashion. It would have to be moderated giving time to everyone but the problem is that some of these issues goes on for pages.

Matthew 13:29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

Matthew 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Why would you do damage in seperating the wheat from the tares? Why does Jesus say to let them both grow together until harvest? Shouldn't you leave them alone?

Ann
03-12-11, 07:40 PM
Chuck you may want to recheck your concordance.

Chuckt
03-12-11, 10:26 PM
Edited by me.

Ann
03-12-11, 11:29 PM
The point was to the thread is not to argue for or against "eternal security" It is to ask people here if the term is one they use or are familiar with. You said the term is not in the Bible. It is. Many times. Interestingly enough some of those times could be used to support the doctrine you propose at least in part. Please do not condemn until you have some real idea where this may be going because it makes others hesitant to share. Thanks.

Chuckt
03-13-11, 12:07 AM
The point was to the thread is not to argue for or against "eternal security" It is to ask people here if the term is one they use or are familiar with. You said the term is not in the Bible. It is. Many times. Interestingly enough some of those times could be used to support the doctrine you propose at least in part. Please do not condemn until you have some real idea where this may be going because it makes others hesitant to share. Thanks.

I made a mistake in that I probably should have said that in my opinion the term is not condusive to New Testament thought.

I was answering your question about what backsliding means to me and the use of the term means to a lot of people that they turned away and therefore lost their salvation so if God took them or returned tonight, they would feel that they are or would be lost.

John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any (italics removed) pluck them out of my hand.

John 10:29 My Father, which gave me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand.

If anyone wants to respond, please do so as I will remove myself from this thread. If someone wants to talk to me about it, please address a thread to me.

Ann
03-13-11, 03:38 AM
u don't have to remove yourself, Chuck, no reason for that it is just that in the past when someone came down on something like a ton of bricks it has made ppl reluctant to share. I was not asking you not to express your beliefs but to be gentle enough in your beginning posts so others would not fear to share theirs.

So I will ask another question: Does "backsliding " always mean to leave faith or be taken from Christ by some outside agent or can it mean to be less fervent in faith or relationship than one once was?

Chuckt
03-13-11, 08:48 AM
I saw this article on your topic. Consider it a gift for you.

http://www.dianedew.com/backsldg.htm

I don't come to the same conclusions, however. The word "backslide" isn't translated backslide in the New Testament. Peter is the only one that really comes to mind and Peter was primarily unconverted at the time.

Romans 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they [are] not all Israel, which are of Israel:

If they are not all of Israel then can you really compare a Christian to the nation of Israel?

Second, there is irony in the article. We don't just "backslide" and all of us just aren't suddenly taken in a fault. It happens over time that we consciously make decisions that are wrong.

I made mistakes but I never really hated the Lord or became an apostate because I have a conscience.

Susan
03-13-11, 01:04 PM
Are backsliding and being on the slippery slope the same thing? To me, it seems like it is a reference to, after having come to a commitment to a certain standard, one has allowed oneself to go return to a point where one was before the commitment was made.

For instance, Jane was given to backbiting, and gossiping about her friends when they were not around. She believes the Lord is speaking to her about speaking the truth in love, and she receives what He is saying. She began well, but comes up against a situation that she needs in which she needs to implement her understanding of this truth. But, she is afraid of saying what needs to be said to this person involved. So, she "fudges" on the truth. The next time, she does the same thing. At some point, she realizes that she has let go of the truth, and has fallen back into her old habit of talking about people behind their backs.

Unfortunately, being accused of backsliding or being on the slippery slope can and may be used as a bludgeon to scare or manipulate Jane into doing what is right. This may work for awhile, but is not nearly as effective as praying for Jane, and letting the Holy Spirit work in her life.

I don't think that backsliding is leaving the faith; I think it is more of going lukewarm. As in Revelation 3:15-19. I noted that there is broken fellowship with the Lord when going lukewarm. This passage is written to the church in Laodicea, so we are evidently dealing with believers here. In verse 19, Jesus said: "I reprove and discipline those whom I love. Be earnest, therefore, and repent."

Ann
03-13-11, 02:24 PM
Thank you for the article Chuck. It does say much of what I believe I see about backsliding. Susan hit much the same things. Wade Taylor who was then president of the first Bible school I went to used to phrase it that life was a mountain for us all and slippery at that and of we were not going ahead (moving towards God) we would inevitably slip backwards. Not in the sense of loosing salvation so much as loosing our intensity, our first love passion. As the article said it is not a matter of doing bad things so much as doing other things even good things - dare we say even ministry things sometimes -instead of prayer and worship for example. It can even be setting the behavior we observe in others who say they know Christ as our standard rather than reaching forward and cooperating with the work of the Holy Spirit in conforming us to the image of Christ. Perhaps it can even be complaining that prayer is not allowed in school (tho in fact it is it we would stand for our rights), or that Christian values are not taught and lived instead of humbling ourselves, seeking God's face, turning from our own wickedness and crying out to God.

One more question - can a country be backslidden as far as it's general way of life

Chuckt
03-13-11, 03:02 PM
Are backsliding and being on the slippery slope the same thing? To me, it seems like it is a reference to, after having come to a commitment to a certain standard, one has allowed oneself to go return to a point where one was before the commitment was made.
"

To get involved at my church, you have to hear the Lord tell you to go do something.

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Jesus does say that "without me ye can do nothing". Whether they are answering a man instead of being convicted by God and saying,"We're going to rise to a different level of commitment" is to lead without the leader.

That isn't to say that God's word doesn't say certain things about how to live and when God says in His word to live a certain way, He gives us ability.

The problem with the term "backslide" is that people view it as if they've already attained some level that God puts them on when in fact they are just children in some instances. You're looking at it from a view of having instant perfection once you make a decision and if it was an instant level of perfection then why isn't it that?