PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Christmas songs!

Breni Sue
12-12-01, 03:08 AM
Christmas just doesn't seem "Christmassy" without some good ol' holiday tunes to get us in the spirit! What are everyone's favorites? There are so many I cannot even list!

I guess I will start with hymns:

Silent Night
O Holy Night (this one is probably my all-time favorite! :) )
O Come All Ye Faithful
Hark The Herald Angels Sing

Traditional:

Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire (the Carpenter's version I think is the best!)
White Christmas
Rudolph The Red-nosed Reindeer (come on, who doesn't?)

Others:

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
Blue Christmas
Jingle Bell Rock
Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer (I can't help it, I love it! :biggrin: )
The Redneck Days of Christmas

There are more, but I will stop there! :)

Oz-Jen
12-12-01, 06:00 AM
Handel's Messiah, that's all I'll be playing. I'm not a christmas carol/song girl.

:angel:

Vinnie
12-12-01, 06:31 AM
Heavens got a baby :D

I like Hark the Herald Angels Sing as well as tons of others.

Nicole
12-12-01, 09:07 AM
Handel's Messiah is probably one of my favorites! I like carol of the bells. O Little Town of Bethlehem. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear. hmmm...i'm sure there are tons more! lol

Orpheus42
12-12-01, 09:22 AM
I like John Lennon's Christmas song.

Any arrangement by the TransSiberian Orchestra or Mannheim Steamroller gets points in my book.

Carol of the Bells, I Saw Three Ships, there's an old musical arrangement from the 1920's of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas I really like, John Rutter's arrangement of We Wish You a Merry Christmas, some choruses from the Messiah (Hallelujah is not a Christmas chorus though!!!), O Come O Come Emmanuel (especially the original Latin)- we sang that at Urbana 2000 and WOW. All the other ones we sang in my high school choir.

Peace, Love, and Jesus Christ,

Jason

Flannel Avenger
12-12-01, 11:17 AM
As I am feeling Grinchy this Christmas:

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch...

Nicole
12-12-01, 09:31 PM
ooh..I forgot...Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas stuff! lol - ahhh -that's great!

and...Jaci Velasquez sings with the Chipmunks on her Christmas album...oh so funny! lol

VG8XP80
12-14-01, 03:35 AM
That's great! I was just going to mention the chipmunks' music. Also, I love hearing Ella Fitzgerald sing Christmas songs. I also love Glad and Take 6 Christmas.
When it comes to songs I know, I know the traditional songs much better than the hymns. I can usually get through the first verse of a Christmas hymn from memory, but secular tunes I know almost all the way through. Probably because I like the arrangements of trad music more. Not nearly so square imo. I like em swingin' or schmaltzy. As for the Christmas Song, nobody tops Nat Kole's version period.

God's Spark
12-24-01, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Oz-Jen
Handel's Messiah, that's all I'll be playing. I'm not a christmas carol/song girl.

:angel:

i love you. messiah=COOOOOOOL!

Nampula
12-24-01, 07:03 PM
o come o come immanuel
o holy night
carol of the bells
God rest ye merry gentlemen
hard the herald angels sing

i love them all!

AgentPhyte003
12-26-01, 12:54 AM
Weird Al's contribution to Christmas music: Christmas at Ground Zero and The Night Santa Went Crazy

Bohrdumb
12-26-01, 07:53 PM
I think it's John Lennon's song...."and so this is christmas, what have you done..." But I hate the Beatles and I heard a much better version by Rebecca St. James, I think.

Also I believe Billy Joel has a new one out but the guy never said if it was by him or not.

And I kinda like Christmas Eve In Washington.

And I constantly quote "You're a mean one"

princess leah
12-26-01, 08:10 PM
hey jason... where's the thread where you posted the 'richard corey' poem?

Nicole
12-26-01, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Bohrdumb
I think it's John Lennon's song...."and so this is christmas, what have you done..." But I hate the Beatles and I heard a much better version by Rebecca St. James, I think.

I like Rebecca St. James version better too!

Nicole
12-26-01, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by godspark15
hey jason... where's the thread where you posted the 'richard corey' poem?

I'm pretty sure it was in the teen scene...I'm bored..so I think I'm gonna go see If I can find it!

Nicole
12-26-01, 08:21 PM
Voila! (http://www.iljboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2962&highlight=Richard+Cory)

CalledByGrace
12-29-01, 12:09 AM
Breath of Heaven and Mary Did You Know